No Mutants Allowed - A History of Fallout Fandom

Cormac and Moriendor it's my sad duty to tell you guys that you won't have a future in comedy. More to the point your irony sucks.

Having said that it's important to notice that just a few days ago the editor of Gamespy wrote:

I need to this to be good, not just because I've wanted this for years, but because it'll make the "No Mutants Allowed" crowd heads explode. Anything that ticks off Fallout fans makes me happy.

It's important to notice that at the same time NMA continues to have a steady influx of trolls. Actually since Bethesda anounced Fallout3 we had a Ddos attack by people from Something Awfull, a troll invasion by people from Penny Arcade, a dev moking us on SA, and a guy who was only known for his rants against Fallout fans to be hired as a tester by Bethesda, just to climb in a year to assistant producer.

So examining the causes of this context and the implications of this trend, while deconstructing the anti Fallout fan speech and the motivations behind it seems a good start at a point when Bethesda is getting ready to show the game and strong discussions are coming up.

Just because you kids like to conform and be happy with reality show jokes, dwelling in your acephalia with an idiot smile that does not mean the rest of the world has to be like that. Not yet, at least.

Actually, in my very (not)-so humble opinion, there is one game that comes to Fallout (1) in terms of athmosphere and I find it a king of spiritual succesor to it. That is Geneforge (1). Although a basic overview would find that there is nothing in common between the 2 games, I find the athmosphere of both very similar. I admit I am not a die hard Fallout fan, and I actually did play Fallout after I played Geneforge, but still ...

Cormac not funny etc.

I stand corrected. Attacked by trolls, a ddos attack, mocked by some guy, an old enemy who's now on the F3 team, yes you guys are the shit.
Not sure I understand your last 2 sentences: can you rewrite them so they actually make sense ? I think you confused me with someone who actually cares enough about fans of two games (no, just one) that I'd set myself against them in some sort of crusade. No, I'm not a troll of nma, and I dont work for Bethsoft. I dont really give a shit about F3, actually. Unlike you guys.

I dont really give a shit

Because you sir are a conformist, a sheep that goes with the flow, a blink on an internet forum. Someone needs to tell you of your misguided ways, when trying to judge everyone else and everything else by your low standards and minuscule expectations. And then explain to you that if in the end you are happy like that, as a silenced lamb without the touch required for irony, that doesn't mean the others have to be like that, minuscule, sad, giggling of highschool jokes when the grown ups are trying to have a conversation. Just that.

I stand corrected. Attacked by trolls, a ddos attack, mocked by some guy, an old enemy who's now on the F3 team, yes you guys are the shit.

Ugh. Reading problem much?
"Seriously, why do people say things like "you people think it's way too important" or "big deal" or "stop pretending it matters". Such remarks are meaningless, they will never add anything to any discussion.

Hmmm...Very post-modernist I guess. The remarks and thoughts may be true, but they have no practical value or consequences whatsoever. Barking into the wind, I guess?"

Arguments based on your perceived valuelessness of the object of the argument are...well...inherently incorrect.

I dont really give a shit about F3, actually. Unlike you guys.

'k. Thanks for your opinion, it's really valuable to us, Mr. Intended Audience!

@ Biofreak: Always sad to watch people get totally disconnected from reality. Poor thing.

@ Kharn: You already said pretty much the exact same thing on the previous page. What's the matter with your short-term memory? Drug abuse? That's a serious question.

Oh well, keep on fighting, you basement rebelz you! The establishment is trembling in fear of your collective awesomeness...

You already said pretty much the exact same thing on the previous page. What's the matter with your short-term memory? Drug abuse? That's a serious question.

Do you know what quotes are? These thingies: "

They are used to indicate your are quoting something. In this case, I was quoting myself.

Oh well, keep on fighting, you basement rebelz you! The establishment is trembling in fear of your collective awesomeness...

For the third time; that is an irrelevant form of argumentation. Either prove to me that this retarded shouting of "it doesn't matter anyway" and "you guys think you're more important than you are" is actually relevant or come up with something new, because this is tiring. And I hate repeating myself.

Because you sir are a conformist, a sheep that goes with the flow, a blink on an internet forum. Someone needs to tell you of your misguided ways, when trying to judge everyone else and everything else by your low standards and minuscule expectations. And then explain to you that if in the end you are happy like that, as a silenced lamb without the touch required for irony, that doesn't mean the others have to be like that, minuscule, sad, giggling of highschool jokes when the grown ups are trying to have a conversation. Just that.

Well, unlike me, you are very funny. Priceless stuff !

Hmmm...Very post-modernist I guess. The remarks and thoughts may be true, but they have no practical value or consequences whatsoever. Barking into the wind, I guess?"

Postmodernist, me ? Ouch. Hey Kharn, if the remarks are True, how can they be Without Value ? What are you talking about ? Barking into the wind, anyway, isnt as bad as pissing against the wind.

Arguments based on your perceived valuelessness of the object of the argument are...well...inherently incorrect.

Now that's postmodernist writing !

For the third time; that is an irrelevant form of argumentation. Either prove to me that this retarded shouting of "it doesn't matter anyway" and "you guys think you're more important than you are" is actually relevant or come up with something new, because this is tiring. And I hate repeating myself.

Prove it how? What is there to "prove"? You're pretending as if there is some objective standard at work here. There isn't. It's purely subjective. But, fine, I'll tell you. The relevance to myself is that I find it pretty fucking annoying to watch a bunch of angry, self-important, self-victimizing, self-pitying basement-dwelling teenagers (or people who simply refused to grow up between when FO first came out and now) with over-inflated egos polluting this planet. That's all.
This whole "us vs them" bullshit is ridiculous and unnecessary. Just look at these very forums here. There are a lot of people around here who liked FO a lot and who don't feel the need to gang up and act like total holier than thou jackasses about it. To call these people or others "sheep" for not joining the "fight" (a fight that's only going on in your heads BTW... Don Qixote and the windmills come to mind...) is totally retarded. There's nothing to fight for. Grow the fuck up and get a life while you're at it :) .

Cormac you care! That's wonderfull! You keep coming back a lot for someone that doesn't give a shit, so you must care! How wonderfull, let's all sing around the fireplace now!

And Moriendor it's always sad to watch people get totally disconnected from reality trying to argument on a forum discussion. Wait no it isn't, it's just pathetic. In reality people have to back their points with valid arguments and insightful remarks, giving a meaning to the discussion instead of going on wild tangents and braindead remarks. You sir suck at reality.

Are these two creatures representative of the CRPG crowd as a whole? Full of wind and lacking any consistency, any soul? No, they are just a part of it. It would be interesting to have an article on CRPG fans in general, you guys from RPGWatch should seriously consider the task.

Edit: Moriendor don't think for a second you have any moral high ground to order me to have a life. I'm a happily married father of two 35 five years old guy who didn't said a word on those that showed criticisms on the Fallout fans in the first posts of this topic, you were the one with the "holier than though" attitude and you are the looser that couldn't argument properly until a point where you start with the "everything is subjective" crap that school kids may use, but as an escape argument hurts anyone with half a brain.

You definitely need to get a life quickly, instead of amusing the grown ups.

Last edited:
WOW, this might just be our first mini-flame war!! Try to cool it guys and argue the POINTS, not just the EMOTIONS!! :) Still, I do like the idea of an article dealing with CRPG fans, so I'll keep it in mind for some of our future plans!!

Personally, I liked Fallout: Tactics. It was a bit of a tactical team combat game set in the Fallout universe. I really had to think, plan ahead and play both strategically and tactically to do the missions or quests in the game.

Sometimes I go to the NMA webiste --- but I'm sad to say --- leave in a hurry again.
To me, clear it is, that NMA basically wants the same gameplay as in FO1 and FO2.
Maybe they will agree to updated graphics, and the use of a PhysX engine in the game, but they still want their turnbased combat and the other things in FO1 and FO2. However, this isn't a realistic approach in today's competetive market.

I concur & agree that FO1&FO2 were great games, when they were released a decade ago, but if they were released to day...well, I just don't think they quite are going to cut it (or make it through) in today's market. Certainly not with the stark competition from FPS games like Prey, Farscape, Halo 1+2 or even HalfLife, Counter-Strike and Touch Detective for Nintendo DS Lite. Many more games are being released today than 10 years ago; this means taht you really really have to, as a developer/publisher, to stay ahead, and gain more info, data and knowledge and knowhow all the time, to keep making games, people actually are going to buy.

This is maybe a bit of topic, but it seems that there are some great adventure games out there for the Nintendo DS, so I don't really thet the whole console vs.
pc war. The main thing is that people play adventure or rpg games, then, in principle, it really doesn't matter on what console they play these games...

As a sidenote, I went to my local EB Games shop today, and looked at some XBOX 360 titles. There were, in fact 1 or 2 games, I probably would enjoy playing. Same were true for Nintendo DS...

In reality people have to back their points with valid arguments and insightful remarks, giving a meaning to the discussion instead of going on wild tangents and braindead remarks. You sir suck at reality.

Are these two creatures representative of the CRPG crowd as a whole? Full of wind and lacking any consistency, any soul? No, they are just a part of it.
Speaking of windbags. "And what aught of value have your mewlings produced, sir? I shall now liken them to the desolate wind blowing through the graves of our beloved genre. But does it speak of ill of we who tend to her in her repose? It does not! For we are legion!" Got enough scenery to chew there, Olivier?

The point of the whole thing, is that there are enough people that want to buy a game that plays like and offers the other things that Fallout 1 had with updated graphics, but there hasn't been one for like 10 years. It certainly is not a mainstream game like Oblivion, WoW or anythings that can sell millions of copies, but still ... Not a single game that even comes close?

Maybe they will agree to updated graphics, and the use of a PhysX engine in the game, but they still want their turnbased combat and the other things in FO1 and FO2. However, this isn't a realistic approach in today's competetive market.

Realise that doesn't really change much, though. Who says unrealistic goals are not worth fighting for.

And that's assuming you're right. And I agree with Arma there 100%. The problem is that if you produce YET ANOTHER game that does not offer anything that the competition does not offer, you are throwing yourself smack dab in the middle of that competition. Halo? Half-Life? Counterstrike? These are all not games any cRPG has to compete with. There isn't one big all-encompassing "gaming" market, each genre has its own market. Oblivion? Gothic 3? The many more action-RPGs being produced? Yes, Fallout 3 could be thrown into the same market as that, creating its own competition. Or it couldn't.

Try to cool it guys and argue the POINTS, not just the EMOTIONS!!

Exactly right. I haven't heard a single remark that actually has to do with the article in this thread. Hell, I'm unclear on why we're discussing Fallout fan egos in the first place. Grand that some people don't like it, but what the hell is there to discuss?

Look, the bottom line is this:- Once Grimoire is released, Cleve will start work on his Fallout type masterpiece. If nothing else, THAT should give ALL of you something to argue about for several years!! :biggrin:

Look, the bottom line is this:- Once Grimoire is released, Cleve will start work on his Fallout type masterpiece. If nothing else, THAT should give ALL of you something to argue about for several years!! :biggrin:

Grimoire, released? Thats a bigger joke then anything posted in the past week.

Back
Top Bottom