Metro Last Light gameplay video

Last Light is a definite buy for me. I really liked the atmosphere in Metro 2033, and this looks to be more of the same.

Yep I'll buy although probably not full price... Terrible waste of the setting though... The atmosphere is amazing sure, but this setting (read the book) screams for a Stalker like sandbox(albeit with a wee bit more focus on main quest narrative) instead of a generic corridor shooter (even an incredible looking one). Not to mention that it would make for an amazing RPG ;)

Still, gotta put that GTX670 to work ;)

I agree 2033 could have been a little less linear, but it didn't need to be sandbox. It was already almost too similar to Stalker as it was.

Well I don't normally go for shooters so it would need to be for me to actually love it ;)
(Not to mention I need a game to fill the void that Stalker left. The slight connection to stalker, atmosphere mostly, is definitely not enough for me ;) )

The Station like structure though (set of hubs connected by narrow passages) could very well be technically exploited to both keep the level of detail up and allow for at least a non linear progression through areas (some could be blocked off at story intervals etc)… Anyways, nobody is obviously going to be making my dream game as the guys at 4A where always obsessed with strictly railroaded shooters dating back from their time at GSC :)

I just don't know if I'd call 2033 a genetic corridor shooter. It wasn't nonlinear, but it wasn't on rails either. It also had things that set it apart, like being able to speak to npcs, trade, etc. Most of the levels were open enough that I didn't feel railroaded in any way.

Two things ruined the game for me, single save and autosave at level end. I have been forced to replay from the beginning several times, last time due to running out of filters and then accidentally finishing the map when I was supposed to get a spare. Next time I play it I am going to use a backup script that backups the single save continuously in the background while playing the game.

Hmm, having a slightly different path through some of the (overland) maps does not constitute non-railroading to me but that may be why I do not play shooters. It seems that any freedom there is a pretty thin illusion. Also I did not see that, in a lot of the heavily scripted passages (and there were a lot of those)… Still my lack of familiarity with the genre may be telling here. I bough Crysis 2 on the cheap to use as a tech demo/stress test for the (not quite) new system and it is indeed much more linear and nondescript (gameplay wise, although I like Metro graphically more too) than Metro certainly…

Non railroading for me would be i.e to be able to go to station D though B or C i.e. or the maps to be closer to Stalker level large so that alternative paths would take you to different mini-areas with totally different challenges tied to them etc… I am probably asking for too much though :)

To me, the term "on rails" usually means to literally go from point A to point B without any freedom whatsoever or the ability to backtrack, and that doesn't describe most of the levels in 2033. Certainly there's not a lot of freedom, but I recall most areas being large enough to at least approach enemies from different directions or sometimes even flank them.

I can definitely understand someone feeling railroaded in comparison to Stalker though, but then most shooters are.

There are certainty more or less linear gameplay even in "linear" shooters. Worst case is the pure rail-shooter such as House of the Dead, then you have shooters that pretty much only have 1 specific route through-and-through. But then you also have shooters that have semi-open maps that allow for some exploration, instead of being tied in they are connected with waypoints so eventually you have to go from A-B-C regardless but the space inbetween is still somewhat open. Metro 2033 do belong in the last category as far as I concern.

Stalker is a very different game.

A few vids since I last looked for anything metro: last light related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahhaeUKEHA

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/07/ign-live-metro-last-light-demo-e3-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuprd96D-44

The first is a gameplay vid derived from pre-alpha code, at the end it still references a 2012 release date… So it may not be all that indicative of current gameplay. Second video is from IGN, dates back to e3 and features some commentary from IGN + PR guy. The third appears to be a more recent gameplay video, at least in relation to the first.

I will say that I like how they cut down on the UI by showing ammo count via the clip. Overall, from what little I've seen, it seems to be in the same vein as 2033 with some refinements(updated watch, face wipe, interactivity, new creatures, ect).

I hope it's not going to be as linear as 2033 was. I'd love it if it was more like Stalker.

They are different kinds of games and both were good in their own way. 2033 had a story while stalker really didn't.

Good grief, what Stalker did you play? It most certainly had a story. The narrative was obviously implemented in a looser fashion than in Metro 2033, but much of that can be attributed to the non-linearity of the gameplay.
There's a story there, alright - one just has to work a little harder to get it.

I quite enjoyed Metro 2033 and replayed the game on its hardcore mode. I had some niggles with the autosave function, but nothing that couldn't be overcome with a bit of creativity and some, good ol' fashioned heart-in-mouth running.

Not too sure what to make of Last Light yet, but I guess we'll see...

Back
Top Bottom