Skyrim - Perfect World and Big Enough

Sorry, fatbastard, you're getting too old for sandbox games. ;) That's exactly the way it should be. The game gives you a pretty obvious path to ease you in (go to Megaton, do the Supermarket quest...) but if you wander off - which is entirely a valid choice - you should expect a dangerous world.

The alternative is Oblivion, where everything is nicely homogenous and dull.

So what about the Elder Scrolls MMO they're developing separately?
That was on my mind when I saw Skyrim and Perfect World mentioned together. I experienced a split second of Ultimate Despair at that sight!

Can I dare hope this will be better than Oblivion?

I can overlook the stupid plot IF it has a cool world to explore and doesn't bore me to tears.

I always loved crafting and alchemy as well so what I've read sounds pretty good.

Dang thing is a day one purchase for me even though I'll probably be disappointed in the end, but who knows I expected the worse with Fallout 3 and what I got was a decent game. No plot or story what-so-ever, but still a decent game with tons to explore and monsters to challenge me. Of course I had to mod a few things out of Beth's design like leveling up at lightning speed, but still that didn't take too much away even from the vanilla version I played the first time.

Sorry, fatbastard, you're getting too old for sandbox games. ;) That's exactly the way it should be. The game gives you a pretty obvious path to ease you in (go to Megaton, do the Supermarket quest…) but if you wander off - which is entirely a valid choice - you should expect a dangerous world.

I suspected as much ;)

I must say that I DID go to Megaton first but since my character is a bit of wiz-kid with explosives I went for the landmine part of the survival guide quest first. Little did I know that would take me pretty much to the other end of the map and past many locations/encounters way beyond my weak abilities/weapons.

The alternative is Oblivion, where everything is nicely homogenous and dull.
Perhaps, but in Oblivion there was always a "red thread" that tied one location to the other; always giving you a reason to go somewhere new ... but yes, I guess in the end it is mainly a matter of me not particularly enjoying sandbox games.

Oh well, time will tell if Skyrim will go the way of Oblivion or FO3.

it's difficult to believe that you're wandering around a real world when everything that you can interact with gleams with a highlighted shine, or when helpful tips keep popping up to remind you to press Y to get on your horse

It's this bit that tells me the author is my kind of gamer. I hate crap like that.

And when she talks about just living in a game world... I so know what she means.

I think I loves her actually.

Back
Top Bottom