Eschalon: Book 1 - Now Available

Wish I had the time to play this right now, but as I'm playing both MotB and The Witcher at the moment, I don't think I can handle 3 games at once. Might just order the boxed version and wait for delivery.

P.S. Can we please move the gender politics discussion to its own thread?

And yes, I also vote to drop or move the gender politics discussion, things like that drive me away from message boards faster than anything else, honestly.

Good idea. I started one here:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=54384#post54384

I worded it to be more general than just Eschalon. It might deserve to go to the politics forum if it gets too touchy.

Sorry to keep stirring that one - just wanted to point out that it does go both ways. Indie RPGs are equal-opportunity offenders! (And, well, considering Mass Effect's potential plot development unique to female avatars... well, it's not just indies. But that has been mentioned already).

Anyway, FWIW - I'm anxious to get off work tonight and play some more. I've really enjoyed it as far as I've taken it. I guess it can still disappoint, but thus far it seems extremely promising. I bought it before even trying out the demo, however, so maybe in my brain I'm just trying to justify my purchase or something.

But it sure feels like the kind of game I used to love about fifteen years ago, looking prettier and playing better than ever.

Let's let the gender politics die, folks. Rina has a position that's not likely to change, and we can be respectful. Moving on!

Finally!!!

Words of wisdom!

Couldn't've said it better myself!!!

Not wise at all. That is a personal attack suggesting that Rina's opinion is unmoveable but we should respect it anyway even though our opinion is "more correct". The most common fallacy on message boards probably.

Agreed.
This is not directed at anyone, only a general statement.
The idea of reducing basic and fundamental human right as Equal Rights for women, as political is very dangerous and it denies the reality of most all of our cultures of minimizing women and subjugating them even here in the US, we have 12 states currently preventing women from becoming legally and constitutionally equal, so make no mistake this has nothing to do with politics but all to do with gross human right violations.

You may disagree with Rina for political reasons or your just a sexist then it's your fault, not hers, yet it's most likely due to poor cultural ideologies if you do disagree on the principles. :)

You have much better argument if you just stick the basic, cost factor here. :)

Back to the game, wow very cool and so far my only gripe is the total darkness at night, maybe dungeons too but haven't made it that far yet, only expolired the surface.
I realize it's a gameplay feature, however I really would like the ability to turn up the brightness as it just forces me to rest till daylight which annoys me.
It's not that I mind exploring at night but even in RL I can see much better than we are given the ability in the game.
I started as a Mage and haven't made it to town, so if there is some nightvision spell then that would work, but if torches are the only recourse and no brightness or gamma setting,, it would grate on my nerves.

Thanks again for the demo and all your hard work. :)

But you are raising a fair point with it being mostly a cosmetic thing. I'm not saying that I'm being entirely rational about it, but I'll try to explain how I feel.
But in any case, while my little protest is probably pointless, I'm sticking to my principles.
I believe that this makes it pretty clear that Rina has little intention of changing her position, just as I said. There's no judgement in that, merely observation.

Not wise at all. That is a personal attack suggesting that Rina's opinion is unmoveable but we should respect it anyway even though our opinion is "more correct". The most common fallacy on message boards probably.
Rina said herself that she intended to stick to her opinion, which is perfectly fine with me. At no point in my post did I so much as insinuate that any position was "more correct". In actuality, my post was intended to throw a little balance Rina's way since it seemed to me she was getting gang-tackled. She's a well-spoken newcomer to our boards and I would prefer to encourage her continued participation. I think my bloodbath with PJ over in the politics forum demonstrates that there's value to intelligent (if heated) conversation among people with different view points.

If you want to accuse me of a personal attack, at least get your facts straight and don't try to hide your shot in the cloak of logical fallacy.

Purchased. Scoured every inch of the demo, and wanted more. Basilisk seems to have scratched that itch with this one.

My favorite moment so far: blindly mixing two ingredients. Did I get a harmless fizzle? Nope. Blew up in my face causing me serious "fire" damage. Sweet. :biggrin:

WOW, just got the Demo this game is great!!!! I just wish the characters could be a little bit more detailed the enemies already look great!

It doesn't matter that much though since the game is a lot of fun!

Does anyone know what to do with all those sealed barrels?? It is making me crazy that I can't break them!!!

And I also think this game should have its own sub-forum it deserves it more than Gothic 3 or NWN2!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what to do with all those sealed barrels?? It is making me crazy that I can't break them!!!

Shift-click to bash them :) I agree with you, just finished the demo and it was like playing one of those old classics, only with better graphics and interface. I checked the credits and there was only one name under 'developer', I have to wonder how much this man could do given the budget of a mainstream game!

I hit a sealed barrel (shift left click) about a hundred times with my dagger and it broke open. Empty, naturally. Anyway, you've got to bash numerous times.

If you want to be successfull at bashing, put all your starting points into strength. I don't think it's worthwile though, it would make for an one-dimensional character.

Or go the mage way and firebolt the suckers to death. That way your weapons don't break, you don't kill yourself when hitting it with your barefist and you just rest up if you can't get break it due to MP limit. I took the druidic trait so it's a little easier to crack open those barrels outside than inside.

...it tickles you from special places...

What a vivid imagination! I like that. You're not going to stop posting now, are you?

I actually really like the total darkness at night.. I mean, thats how it would be mostly you know.. There is a cats eye (div) spell..

Shift-click to bash them

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Shift click......................... DARN do not want to go all the way back in that dungeon I just visited... just to shift click one barrel :O :O how did you guys find out about the shift clicking?? did I miss some file to read???

GWWWWWWWWAh.

Hit F3 for help. Come on! Its an RPG!!! Explore the keyboard! :)

I think that was a little heads up to the old ultimas like ultima 3-5. I remember having to camp to wait for the sun to come up in those because I couldn't see where I was going and would end up in Paws or somewhere I had no intention of going. Not to mention the monsters jumping out of nowhere :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Shift click......................... DARN do not want to go all the way back in that dungeon I just visited... just to shift click one barrel :O :O how did you guys find out about the shift clicking?? did I miss some file to read???

GWWWWWWWWAh.
RTFM! ;)
There's a 15 page pdf manual included in your download that gives the lowdown on the controls.

Back
Top Bottom