Fallout 3 - Official Forums Open

Oblivion mods were extremely modular so, should FO3 be available with a like toolset, there shouldn't be a lot of worry about mods adding a lot of "crap" that you don't want. (As long as you avoid the mod-packs and total experience-changing mods.) In most cases, a mod changes one thing or a set of extremely related things. If you don't want nudity, don't install a mod that adds nudity.

Granted there will likely, and hopefully, be some mega-mods for FO3 that add back a lot of the grit and grime that some of us would like to see in FO (sick though we may be). Indeed some modders might "turn the thing into GTA", but the simple solution is to avoid the few mods that do so. I believe that the odds are good that you'll be able to get the good and essential mods without the material that you find offensive.

I certainly agree that, without modding, FO3 will likely be unplayable for me. Oblivion was, for me, very enjoyable but only after I applied enough mods to make it into an entirely different game.

I respect everyone here, but isn't it quite sad to be resigned to the fact the the next game in the franchise that we all love will have to be modded by us to make it the game that we want? :(

I guess you have a point, but I guess I personally find this true of many games, even many of my favorite RPGs. I like modding, both doing my own and using mods created by others. To me, modding is nearly as important to me as the original game since games out of the box rarely work as I think they should.

We all have different tastes, so it's hard to make one game fit all. Just reading the posts of die-hard FO fans you'll see we each have different elements that meant the most to us. So as long as there's good modding, often we can get what we want.

I'm more or less willing to let Beth do what they do, and I'll try to enjoy FO3 as a game independent of FO1&2. If it brings back any of the good times of the originals, then all the better.

people are making educated guesses, that's all.

I purrrsonally prefer to remain positive or at least neutral about an anticipated game that hasnt even been made yet.

Just had to share this quote from Penny Arcade:

The forums for the new Bethesda interpretation of Fallout are now open, and the sound is like a hundred thousand bats shrieking as they swirl around a jutting spire of obsidian. When I speak with fervor on topics that interest me, do I sound like them? It makes a strong case for a monastic existence.

I'm not a Fallout-fanboy, being very late to the party, so looking at the angst level there does make that ring true ...

I went to the new forums and I see a lot of strong opinions, but nothing completely uncivil.

I find the people who make fun of the Fallout fanboy/NMA/Codex crowd nowadays to be more annoying than that crowd themselves. Can anyone name another fanbase for a great game that has been shat on so much?

Can anyone here imagine the outrage that there would be from Halo fanboys if the next game, instead of being made as an FPS, came out as a turn-based strategy game? Does anyone here think that Halo fanboys would be saying "I don't care if the gameplay is different! It's got Master Chief and Covenant. That means that it will automatically be great!" This is what people seem to expect of hardcore Fallout fans. Are they supposed to fall in love with this game just because it has Pip boy and Deathclaws? What if Valve decided to make Half-Life 2: Episode 3 a card battle game? The Half-Life fanboys would make the NMA crowd look like Ghandi.

Is it too much to ask that Game #n in a series bear some remote gameplay similarities to game n-1? Setting is important, but not paramount. Where does this idea come from that gameplay isn't important?

I find the people who make fun of the Fallout fanboy/NMA/Codex crowd nowadays to be more annoying than that crowd themselves. Can anyone name another fanbase for a great game that has been shat on so much?

You might be jumping the gun buddy, no information has even been made available on the design of FO3 ;)

I can name a few by the way, Might and Magic and Ultima spring to mind almost instantly :lol:

I can't wait to buy Bethesda's game so I can fix it!

What assurance is there that there will even be an editor?

By some accounts (never looked at it myself), the Oblivion editor is missing features that are available to the BethSoft. Following Nipplegate and the general crackdown on naughty mods, I won't be surprised if there is no editor, or if it ends up being so feature-limited that it's worthless to the endless hordes of fallout fans eagerly planning on their own remedies, revisions, and total conversions.

Not making an editor available would certainly make BethSoft's life easier. To say nothing of removing that imbalance in the force between the PC and Xbox versions.

There's definitely no assurance there will be. I can only hope it will be so. We're all wildly speculating about everything to do with FO3 at this point.

And if it is missing features, that's indeed too bad, but with the breadth of mods I've seen for Oblivion, it's still a pretty darn good toolset. But, unlike Morrowind, I've done much less modding on my own with Oblivion, so I'm no expert. And apparently I missed some fun as I never heard of Nipplegate. :D

Nipplegate.

I was referring to the user mod that turned on the topless skin, giving all female characters wall-eyed nipples. And got the game re-rated.

I find the people who make fun of the Fallout fanboy/NMA/Codex crowd nowadays to be more annoying than that crowd themselves.

Y'know, there's some truth to this. I spend some time at Qt3 and there's a thread there on the Fallout 3 forums with a post by a guy I know to be a rabid Bethsoft fanatic who said he was heading over to spread some "reason". If I posted in that thread, I'd get shouted down as a 'Codex sympathiser and general nut.

Somehow it's "reasonable" to love Bethsoft but bat-shit insane to love a turn-based Fallout.

That doesn't mean there aren't idiots in the Fallout community running over to Bethsoft just for the glory of betting banned, but some of us "traditionalists" are perfectly reasonable people, too.

More topics were open complaining about Fallout fans than about complaints about Bethesda, fascinating. :)

Overall things went good so far, there's a lot of discussions but nothing of what Kotaku and the mainstream sites are talking about, there's confrontation but discussion of ideas too, that's not a battleground, I've seen Interplay during the FOBOS period or when they canceled van Buren, now that was war.

The Fallout3 forum is actually less hostile than some days at the WoW fora or some crazy Star Wars Galaxies times.

And there were more trolls coming from Qt3 or the SA than from DAC or the Codex, which was ironic too...

We'll see how things evolve, I predict lots of action this weekend and then things calm down until they show pics and ideas from the latest builds. Then things can go very wrong or not, we'll see.

I can name a few by the way, Might and Magic and Ultima spring to mind almost instantly :lol:
Ultima perhaps. Not so sure about M&M. They at least had the right idea about naming games with a vastly different kind of gameplay as though they were spin-offs.

people are making educated guesses, that's all.

I purrrsonally prefer to remain positive or at least neutral about an anticipated game that hasnt even been made yet.

Aye mate. There is a chance that f3 is going to be a decent game. I'm not holding my breath but i'm giving them a chance, at least for the time being :)

That doesn't mean there aren't idiots in the Fallout community running over to Bethsoft just for the glory of betting banned, but some of us "traditionalists" are perfectly reasonable people, too.

Don't be that suprised of their reaction. you know how it usually goes. "Either you are on our side or against us!" :p

Ultima perhaps. Not so sure about M&M. They at least had the right idea about naming games with a vastly different kind of gameplay as though they were spin-offs.

Did you play M&M 9??? :lol:

PLEASE, RUle 514 of the Watch states that NO mention of M&M 9 will be made under ANY circumstance!! :)

Back
Top Bottom