JA:Flashback - Progress & Status Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys act as though a "poor product" in the gaming world is a static thing. It's entirely subjective. I read nothing but positive reviews on the Steam page when I checked it out. From what those reviews state, it's a fun little game. No, it's not the magnum opus of Jagged Alliance, but it seems to be a Fun. Little. Game. There's no reason for it to be bashed to pieces.

And yes, the new Realms of Arkania was a blast to play, even early on in the patching process. Were there bugs? Yes, but subsequent patches squashed them. The game was a breath of fresh air and a true "hardcore" RPG and all the trolls demolished it and they never fully recovered. Now because of that, the next 2 games they planned on remaking may be in jeopardy. Gee, good job, guys. Let's keep those negative reviews coming. :rolleyes:

Yep. Even 1 disappointment has got me thinking it's better to just buy it when it's on sale from Steam a month after release.
I've backed quite a few Kickstarters, but when stuff goes on sale for the same amount (or less) than your "discount" pledge within a month of release, I have to say you make a good argument.

I don't know. I sort of feel sorry for game devs these days. The negativity is so rampant on the internet that it can crush small projects like this. It's a shame.

I did read through some Steam reviews for the game and they were all positive. The game sounds fine to me. Maybe not JA3, but still a good game.

Also, I haven't played the JA series yet. Can I get a brief synopsis as to why so many people love those games? o_O

First the reviews looked very different 2 weeks ago. It seems some backers took this letter to heart and either changed their reviews or voted all the positive reviews helpful, and negative reviews not helpful.
Second they released the game in a state, which they knew themselves was not finished even by their standards. Everything which has been patched in was intended more or less to be in the finished game, but they insisted on releasing the game in November, because that was a "good window." I personally am getting the feeling that they were desperate. Why else would you release a game two months early? I personally think they drove the nails into their own coffin if its the case of them being on the edge of bankruptcy.
I still have yet to play the game, so I'll judge it when I do.
Jagged Alliance 2 was an excellent tactical game. Sort of like a party based fallout or an xcom with a story. You also earned money and could hire new party members. Each of these mercs had their own personalities and skill sets. The "film" sequences in between were hillarious. So you had rpg elements, good tactical battles and resource management and a very basic but well presented story. All in all an excellent mixture.

By the was I agree with you on Realms of Arkania. I really enjoyed it. Too bad they ruined the release.

I've backed quite a few Kickstarters, but when stuff goes on sale for the same amount (or less) than your "discount" pledge within a month of release, I have to say you make a good argument.

I'm not trying to put on a prick suit here but I think that attitude is wrong when it comes to kickstarter. If your only goal is the lowest price you should not be pledging kickstarter. The goal of kickstarter is to help fund a games development, not to give the end user a cheaper price. I'll agree that part of the problem also lies with the reward tiers that a lot of kickstarters have. But like rjshae said it is a gamble when pledging.

That's awful generous of you. I actually expect the game that was advertised.

Call me selfish. *shrugs*

When it comes to finished games I agree with you 100%. If you want to look at kickstarters that way ok, but be ready for continued disappointment. Remember, you are not buying a finished game, you are funding a potential game concept. Having everything work exactly as planned is a nice idea, but in real world game development doesn't happen. I don't think you're selfish at all, but I do think you have an unreasonable view of kickstarter.

I'm not trying to put on a prick suit here but I think that attitude is wrong when it comes to kickstarter. If your only goal is the lowest price you should not be pledging kickstarter. The goal of kickstarter is to help fund a games development, not to give the end user a cheaper price. I'll agree that part of the problem also lies with the reward tiers that a lot of kickstarters have. But like rjshae said it is a gamble when pledging.

+1

When it comes to finished games I agree with you 100%. If you want to look at kickstarters that way ok, but be ready for continued disappointment. Remember, you are not buying a finished game, you are funding a potential game concept. Having everything work exactly as planned is a nice idea, but in real world game development doesn't happen. I don't think you're selfish at all, but I do think you have an unreasonable view of kickstarter.
To rephrase that:
The developer behind a kickstarter owes his best effort in development and communication. If this turn out to be insufficient, then so be it.
The developer (and usually the publisher) of a released game owe(s) the game described on the product page.

Ever hear the term opinions are like a**holes, everyones got one? Sadly, most of them stink to high heaven. Most people (yes, even ppl who have the good taste to like turn based RPGs) cannot see how utterly hypocritical and subjective their opinions are, or come across. You can't understand how anyone can love a game you think is crap?! Seriously?! Do you even hear yourself?! You listed at least 2 games (XCOM and Wasteland 2) that have gotten a lot of hate. Maybe not as much as the Arkania remake, but damn well close. So here, prepare to have your mind blown.

"And, BTW, the new XCOM is a good game? Are you freaking kidding me? I am not talking about that 'thing' that was released a long time, ago, I am talking about the last version, included all the latest patches…. A disgrace."

Delusional much? Not a 8/10? This is not a 4/10. I got it for about $5 and I still regret it. Rough edges? This is one of the reasons why turned-based games got such a bad reputation (boring, slow, and what not). Good turn-based games can be successful and sell well (D:OS, XCOM, Wasteland 2….), but Flashback is simply a bad game. Blame it on the budget, blame it on the backers, blame it on the people who write reviews, I don't care. I won't defend developers who don't know how to create a good game.

And, BTW, the new Realms of Arkania is a good game? Are you freaking kidding me? I am not talking about that 'thing' that was released a long time, ago, I am talking about the last version, included all the latest patches…. A disgrace. Is it really so difficult to take a look at successful games and try to extrapolate what make them good?

R.I.P. Full Control, you won't be missed.

And to everyone else. I would LOVE to see all of you given the abysmally small amount of cash Full Control was given and told to make "the next Jagged Alliance". The amateur hour that would result would give me hours of laughter and might finally humble some of you. Sadly, the internet hate machine runs on idiocy so there is no stopping it.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES, a billion times YES!!! What happened to the RPG and strategy fans of old?? Why is this opinion so rare??? Is it just that young people are flooding every forum, no matter how niche and that they are dumber than ever before? I remember being young and angry, but I don't remember wanting to destroy developers that make unpopular niche RPGs or strategy games. EVER. Even Daggerfall, the buggiest piece of s***. Sure, I was upset, but imagine if these animals had their way back then. Bethesda and others just starting out would be GONE.

You guys act as though a "poor product" in the gaming world is a static thing. It's entirely subjective. I read nothing but positive reviews on the Steam page when I checked it out. From what those reviews state, it's a fun little game. No, it's not the magnum opus of Jagged Alliance, but it seems to be a Fun. Little. Game. There's no reason for it to be bashed to pieces.

And yes, the new Realms of Arkania was a blast to play, even early on in the patching process. Were there bugs? Yes, but subsequent patches squashed them. The game was a breath of fresh air and a true "hardcore" RPG and all the trolls demolished it and they never fully recovered. Now because of that, the next 2 games they planned on remaking may be in jeopardy. Gee, good job, guys. Let's keep those negative reviews coming. :rolleyes:

If you expect to release a poor product and recover through slow ongoing support in a highly competitive field you should take some business classes before starting a business. Customers are ruthless and one poorly handled project can simply be the end of you. This release a broken game and try to fix it after release model was never a good idea and this was always a substantial risk of such an approach. They didn't learn from the first Space Hulk and dropped the ball here again. I really have no sympathy for them. No one ever said business was easy or fair.

Ever hear of Bethesda? In your world, Bethesda would have been killed after their second Elder Scrolls game, that's why I despise your thinking and opinion. It is broken, and ignores the reality of creative ventures like gaming and art. Your first effort has issues? "DESTROY THEM FOR NOT BEING ON THE SAME LEVEL AS DEVELOPERS WHO HAVE 20 + GAMES UNDER THEIR BELT!" Seriously, so many beloved developers would have been buried and forgotten if this garbage had existed in the 80's and 90's. Hell, remember FALLOUT???? Buggiest mother****ing games EVER. Forget that, though… "KILL THEM, DESTROY THEIR REPUTATION!!!!!"

Yes well I think people need to chill as I was disappointed with the game, but I'm not seeking the end of Full Control. This thread is now locked as I see where it's heading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom