Ancient Space - A New SCFI RTS Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Ancient Space has just been announced by Paradox Interactive today, and its a new story-driven real-time strategy game from developer Creative Forge Games.

Here is the new launch trailer.

It seems developer PlayWay is also the developer according to a new kickstarter update today for Hard West. Here is the link.

Link- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/hard-west/posts/960170
Our first project, on which we've worked for, well, some time now, has just been revealed!! It's a moment of great pride for our team. Hopefully, it will also give you an idea of our capability and get us a bit more streetcred :)
And of course here is the press release.
Paradox Interactive and CreativeForge Games Invite You to Explore the Void in Ancient Space

New Story-driven Real-Time Strategy Game With Stellar Cast Announced

STOCKHOLM — August 21, 2014
— Paradox Interactive today revealed that Ancient Space, a new story-driven real-time strategy (RTS) game
from developer CreativeForge Games, will be coming to Windows and Mac PCs in Fall 2014.

Ancient Space is a single-player, real-time strategy title that puts the player in command of a fleet conducting a scientific mission on the
edge of the known universe, charting what lies beyond in ‘The Black Zone.’ A rich and compelling story will guide the player as they build and
upgrade their fleets and then survive overwhelming odds in deadly strategic missions.

Ancient Space mixes an engrossing single-player campaign story with time-honored RTS gameplay for a suspenseful experience. Mission
objectives are many, varying from exploration to stealth, from assault to defense and more.

Ancient Space is host to a cast of characters voiced by fan-favorite actors from sci-fi television series and films, including:

John Billingsley (Star Trek: Enterprise, True Blood)
Aaron Douglas (Battlestar Galactica)
Ron Glass (Firefly)
Richard Gunn (Dark Angel)
Dina Meyer (Starship Troopers, Star Trek: Nemesis, Saw)
Dwight Schultz (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager)

Ancient Space Features:

- New Frontiers, Classic Gameplay: Build, maintain, upgrade, and strategically command a multitude of ships in
tactical battles and missions, facing aliens, pirates, and the unknown
- An Explosive Space Opera: A compelling story, performed by a stellar cast, follows the player as the fleet
tackles questions of humanity and science in an epic single-player campaign
- Live with Your Choices: Each mission advances the plot, and introduces new challenges to be met by choosing
the right crew and the right upgrades for the job.

For more information on Ancient Space, visit www.ancientspacegame.com

Last edited:
Wow, not impressed with the voice acting in that trailer. Looks like everyone is trapped on a plane, too, so I guess this is no Homeworld.

Voice acting has never been a top pirioty in games I purchase. Hopefully they don't screw it up. I'm looking at you Pardaox because Sword of the Stars 2 was terrible.:mad:

It looks ok, Im mildly interested. Hopefully they really worked on the story and tactical depth. Human ship design is somewhat rough and weak in few cases, though.

Voice acting is ok for me. Sometimes I have feeling that people are obsessed too much with voice acting (I dont mean Zloth).

I think Paradox has had two big phases - before Crusader Kings II and after Crusader Kings II. CK2 saw a huge improvement in the quality and accessibility of their games - I liked their stuff before, but reviewers and critics are waaay nicer to them now, because their games feel a lot more put together. I hope this trend continues. If it does, maybe this Ancient Space game will be way better than some of their other sci fi attempts…

Found another trailer this week so enjoy, and you can also pre-order the game now.

Prepare for an interstellar mission to the outskirts of the universe as Ancient Space is now available for pre-order. The upcoming single-player real-time strategy (RTS) title from Paradox Interactive and CreativeForge Games will be released September 23, 2014 for PC and Mac.

More info: http://www.ancientspacegame.com/
Preorder now at: http://pdxint.at/ancientspacepreorder

Last edited:
Liking the look of this ... I know that Paradox published games generally get a bad rap for being buggy and unbalanced at launch, but they generally have a reputation for delivering a fairly solid product after a few patches, so whilst this might not be a day 1 purchase for me ... I suspect it could definitely fill that aching gap left by the lack of a true Homeworld sequel eventually....

Last edited:
Wow, not impressed with the voice acting in that trailer. Looks like everyone is trapped on a plane, too, so I guess this is no Homeworld.
Nope. NOT trapped on a plane. And hopefully getting better voice acting.

I'm somewhat interested but the whole RTS thing never seems to work out for me.

Game is now released and here is the press release with more information.

Paradox Interactive and Creative Forge Launch Gamers into Ancient Space

Single-player Real-time Strategy Game Now Available on PC

STOCKHOLM — Sep. 25, 2014 — Paradox Interactive today announced the galaxy-wide launch of Ancient Space, a new real-time strategy (RTS) game from developer Creative Forge. Featuring deep strategic gameplay and starring a cast of fan-favorite sci-fi actors from film and television, Ancient Space will challenge gamers to navigate a suspenseful single-player story campaign as they guide their fleets beyond the edge of the known universe. Purchase of the game, which is available at digital retailers for $19.99, includes a digital art book and the game’s original soundtrack. Ancient Space is available today for Windows PCs with a Mac release coming soon.

Purchase Ancient Space from the galactic merchant of your choice here: http://www.ancientspacegame.com/buy/

Explore the mysteries of Ancient Space in a gameplay video with developer commentary, showcasing the game’s strategic resource management and ship navigation.

Ancient Space is a single-player, real-time strategy title that puts the player in command of a fleet on the edge of the known universe. Tasked with charting what lies beyond in ‘The Black Zone,’ players must carefully manage their resources to build and upgrade their fleets, and survive deadly strategic missions as they find their way through a rich and compelling story with an all-star cast of characters. Mission objectives are many, varying from exploration to stealth, from assault to defense, all played in real-time strategic gameplay.

Ancient Space is host to a cast of characters voiced by fan-favorite actors from sci-fi television series and films, including:

• John Billingsley (Star Trek: Enterprise, True Blood)
• Aaron Douglas (Battlestar Galactica)
• Ron Glass (Firefly)
• Richard Gunn (Dark Angel)
• Dina Meyer (Starship Troopers, Star Trek: Nemesis, Saw)
• Dwight Schultz (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager)

For more information on Ancient Space, visit www.ancientspacegame.com

Sooo…maybe it's a little early, but…has anyone played this yet? I'm curious to hear how it is. :aww:

Yeah, I'd also like to hear some feedback. It's been a while since I saw an RTS game that caught my eye, but I think I could get into this. I really like the art style particularly in some of the background visuals.

*Edit* Well the initial reports aren't very promising. The opinions over at the Steam forum are mixed but mostly negative. A lot of people seem disappointed.. especially fans of Homeworld who were hoping this was going to be similar.

Last edited:
I played the tutorial and some of the first campaign mission.

Impressions?

Bad to mediocre.

It looks "meh" at best, and doesn't have anything like the grace and flow of Homeworld. It seems simplistic and is sort of a hybrid between Conquest Frontier Wars and Homeworld, in that it's got a locked perspective with limited freedom for movement.

The performance takes a dive in the first campaign mission, and not that much is going on.

The gameplay seems simplistic and overly streamlined.

It has that familiar quirky Euro feel to the whole thing, and I doubt I'll play it unless some secret revelation comes up about it.

I'd take a pass.

*nodnod*

I feared as much, and Metacritic seems to have said some of the same. I'm glad to have heard a rational opinion.

Back
Top Bottom