Might & Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven

G

I need to play something else... now. If you've been paying any attention to these forums lately, you know that I've been raving about Dwarf Fortress in a couple of threads pretty much non-stop... sorry about that for those that have been annoyed by my behaviour :D

So, I think it would be healthy to take a break (at least until the next DF version is released..) and play something else. ...What's that I hear? You mean it would be healthy to play nothing at all for a while? Ridiculous!! Of course I have to play something?!?!

So.. now.. taking the true power of Dwarf Fortress and the addiction those little dwarves give rise to into account, it is obvious that I need something powerfull to drag me away from it.. A kick-ass, truly enjoyable computer role-playing game. A real CRPG. That modern-real-time-3D-shader-action-crap will not do. That stuff would just throw me right back to the arms of those lovely dwarves... And this brings us right to the following fact...

I've yet to play Might & Magic VI. It's a classic. It's a legendary old-school party-based CRPG that has those lovely mid-nineties graphics (which I'm especially fond of) with sprites and all.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...date-of-heaven/screenshots/gameShotId,113700/
Some say it's the best one in the series. I've played 3,4,5 and 7... and I loved 'em. So I think it's safe to assume that I'm gonna love number 6 too. And yes, I know what to expect. The M&M games are thin on NPC interaction and storytelling depth, but they still have that... something that makes a RPG feel so good.

I've been doing some reading.

Found this great information resource:
http://www.pottsland.com/mm6/index.html

Also found the unofficial patch version 1.3:
http://telp.org/mm6/tavern/anyboard/posts/27430.html

Anything else I need to know before beginning my M&M6 journey?
Any tips/hints to maximize my enjoyment?
I'd like to hear your thoughts & opinions about this game too, if you guys have any.

Last edited:
Indeed, an excellent game. Only drawback is that it lacks the skill limitations by class that were introduced in MM7. I thought those limits added a great twist to character development and party composition. Huge world with some truly mother-huge dungeons. Only one spoiler worth mentioning:
There's a scroll of flying hidden on a wall of the odds-n-ends store (IIRC) in the starting town. You must find it and use it to get to the air magic trainer that's on the balcony above said store, or else you'll never make master level. I know where the darn thing is at and I still don't see it until I click on it.

VI is definetily the best of the series

The title of this thread made me first look past it. I didn't finish number VII.

But M&M VI was a game I played for ages. I'm not sure why I started with that one, but I didn't really know any other CRPGs at that time (except a few from the 80's), and I was completely fascinated by that game. I'm a bit afraid that, should I ever return to the game, I will be disappointed.

Anyway, it's my number one personal nostalgia game :D.

Edit: You asked for tips :). If you feel adventurous, try a party of two mages and two druids. It's a bit hard at the beginning, though.

Last edited:
Dte, that scroll you mention is FAR more valuable for doing something else!! :) The one other thing that annoyed me about VI, was you couldn't reposition during combat like you could in the later iterations!!

But it's chicken-n-egg... To learn the fly spell, you need to get master air magic. To get master air magic, you need the master trainer. To talk to the trainer, you need to fly. I assumed getting that scroll was a way to break into the chain.

Are you referring to dropping onto the top of the mountain via flying rather than fighting your way all the way up? Man, it's been too long since I played that one. I just don't remember enough of it.

I was thinking of a special little area surrounded by Dragons that you can teleport into if you use the fly spell/scroll. With VI, you can always hire an Air master for an hour or 2!!

It`s a really long game with great dungeons. Round 150 hours or so.
I guess I really needed those 150 hours. And it didn't get boring. I'll never forget the Hall of the Fire Lord. And all those spiders in the beginning of the game ;).

Hey, that's only one a day for a year!! :)

MM6 was the first I played and I thought it was pretty mediocre with kind of empty world and all. It looks good but the beauty is only skin deep. Later on they say this is the best version and so it could only go down from here. Judging the last game of the series I could believe that.

Actually, most think VII was the best, but if you didn't enjoy VI, then in many ways, the rest are just more of the same!! We try to forget that IX was ever half made and released!!!!

I wanted to install M&M6 today...
But when I came home from the university... my hands did not obey me...
I found myself starting dwarf fortress. I'm sorry. I'll try again tomorrow.

You really need to play MM6, Zakhary. It was the very first RPG I ever played, and my highest praise is to compare games that are really nothing like it--like The Witcher--to my MM6 gratification levels. Few games can get there( PS:T, Gothic and TW so far)

Quite awhile back, we had a thread about which are your favorite dungeons--IMO, MM6 wins hands down, even though in many ways MM7 is a more polished and better balanced game(and has Arcomage...a personal addiction for me like your DF)

Anyway, hope you enjoy when you can finally get your hands to obey. (I had this problem with Titan Crack, er Quest, so I understand)

You really need to play MM6, Zakhary. It was the very first RPG I ever played, and my highest praise is to compare games that are really nothing like it--like The Witcher--to my MM6 gratification levels. Few games can get there( PS:T, Gothic and TW so far)

Quite awhile back, we had a thread about which are your favorite dungeons--IMO, MM6 wins hands down, even though in many ways MM7 is a more polished and better balanced game(and has Arcomage...a personal addiction for me like your DF)

Anyway, hope you enjoy when you can finally get your hands to obey. (I had this problem with Titan Crack, er Quest, so I understand)

That's good to hear! I absolutely will play M&M6. I've been looking forward to it ever since I bought it from the Finnish internet auction site, huuto.net.
And yeah, I love dungeons. There's nothing like a good, challenging, well designed dungeon. The best I've seen so far are in Might & Magic III.

Back
Top Bottom