What's your favourite Bioware RPG franchise?

What's your favourite Bioware RPG franchise?

• Baldur's Gate

Votes: 72 43.6%
  • Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Jade Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mass Effect

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Dragon Age

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I can't choose

• I don't do franchises

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don't like Bioware

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Lackblogger came with the suggestion for this poll, so here it goes:

Suppose you've won a competition on the Bioware forums and the prize is a load of free keys (or discs/points/whatever) for the entire said franchise, posters, figurines, signed original art, a dedicated named main-plot NPC in the next game of that franchise (imagine they are making it, even if that's a fantastical idea) etc etc etc. What would you choose?

Probably BG, as that's the only franchise I really care about from them. Everything else was too shallow for my tastes.

BG as well for me, although NWN comes in a close second.

NWN - because I played some of the best games (mods) with this engine.

Neverwinter Nights and what HiddenX said.

Edit: also my love for Aribeth pushed me to vote :p

I can't choose, every franchise has an awesome game :(

Reluctantly, Dragon Age.

However, as far as franchises go - The Bioware universe (et al) is far below, Might and Magic, Gothic, Witcher, and Risen. And if Lonely Troops makes another Hero's of the Kingdom game, they too will rise over the Bioware stuff . . . IMO.

Baldur's Gate, nothing else even comes close to me. Bioware lost all relevance after Dragon Age One, and being associated with the Origin platform....well, that's just an abomination. When the mighty fall, often they can really make a splatting sound.

Well BG for me, but no votes for starwars, mmm...

I can't choose.
If you retry the poll with "your worst Bioware franchise" I can choose. It's NWN.

Despite all the negativity they receive, Bioware has crafted some really fantastic franchises over the years. It was a tough choice for me; the only one I don't have an opinion on is Jade Empire, since I haven't tried it.

Not a big fan of BioWare games at all. The one I have played the most is Star Wars The Old Republic because it's Star Wars, not because it's a BW game.

Other than that: The single player KotOR was epic-boring, NWN was super-boring, BG was über-boring, haven't played Jade Empire, have only played Dragon Age Origins for ~20 hours and still got the game installed but not touched it in months, not played DAI yet and I'm currently playing Mass Effect for the first time but I'm completely underwhelmed so far.
About six hours in it looks like another snoozefest with clunky mechanics, a consolized UI, retarded timesink elevator rides, consolized world segmentation/fragmentation, lame non-consequential looping-back-on-itself dialogues, extremely weak vehicular controls, braindead companion AI, non-skippable cutscenes before fights (fuck you, too, BW!), barren environments that destroy any sense of immersion (and I'm using the HD texture mod even), boring loot and an awkward story (so far).
I'll try my best to slog through this one and hope that ME2 and 3 will become MUCH better. Pretty please.

So on a whole I had to go with "I don't like BioWare [games]". I have nothing against the company but except for SWTOR none of their games have really grabbed me so far. The only one I'm sort of looking forward to continue some time is DAO since I could see some potential in there but must have gotten distracted by another game.
To me they are one of the -if not the- most overrated developer in the history of gaming.

I didn't chose NWN partly because its not really a franchise for Bioware, they only did the first one!

My top individual game from that list is Mask of the Betrayer, but that's not a Bioware project.

On balance overall, even with all the reservations, I had to say Dragon Age. It's a triumph in sheer terms of scale.

BG, but it is not about franchises, it is about the Engine. D:OS, PoE or Wasteland 2 are current proofs that the infinity-like engines are one of the best options for CRPGs.

non-skippable cutscenes before fights (fuck you, too, BW!)
It's called bad port from consoles to PC. And it's not the only such port out there.
Please don't blame Bioware for doing what console audience demands. Demiurge failed later to adapt it properly onto PC. But Square Enix does the same mistake too even today.

Assassins creed does that right ;)

Mass Effect for me. While I liked Baldurs Gate, Mass Effect had one of the most unique game settings and histories. I really enjoyed the back stories about the Krogans, Turians, and the Genophage, as well as the Reaper primary story.

Back
Top Bottom