Legend of Grimrock - Website, Screens

You need to look up the word "disingenuous". The word has a lot more to do with you than it has to do with me. It's pretty clear what's going on behind your "amiable" attitude - but I have no desire to mess with that. That's on you.
I'll keep my "amiable" attitude and ignore the personal jabs, if thats' OK with you? Anyway I followed your advice and did look up disingenuous, and I agree that it is too strong (I gather it implies insincerity and an agenda?). Apologies, I am not a native speaker. What I meant to say is "I can't follow /see the logic behind that statement, and find it rashly made". Thanks for providing the supporting quote - more on that below.
Also, what are you talking about? I'm not releasing screenshots of a commercial game as if I had something to show. My game isn't anywhere near being interesting to talk about or show off - which is why I don't. Some people have asked me about it, and so I've shown them the stage I'm at.
Sure, and I think that is really cool that you are working on this game, and I don't mean you should be held p to the same standards or anything. I was merely commenting about the act of construing gameplay from a screenshot - if I did that for your game, it would be unfair, don't you think? Instead I think its fair to give the benefit of the doubt, or "optimism" as a starting point. But maybe thats just me.
In any case, if you read their blog a little, you'll find they're saying they intend to finish their game in a few months.

I know you want to pretend I'm somehow claiming I'm a master of game development, just because I have a LOT of experience following the industry and the developers in it. My comments have nothing to do with my own experience with developing games - as I have next to none.
No, that was not my intention, see above. I was just me appealing to you as someone who is a developer himself, and has put stuff up for public viewing, and probably would be happy about a bit of goodwill from others.
It's just putting two and two together.

You should try it sometime :)
I do, I do :)

Here's what I'm basing my "assumption" on - for your convenience:

There’s only a couple weeks (six or so) of active development behind us at the moment but we have the full intent of releasing this pretty quickly, within the next few months.

The default inventory and gear tab only shows the stats that are most frequently needed or that are useful to know when deciding what the character should equip but there’s also a separate tab for more detailed info on the characters. Currently we have four stats there + some stuff related to leveling but that whole portion of the game is still in a rather primitive state so it’s still possible that those will change. Since you have up to four characters to take care of, we are trying to strike a good balance between depth and manageability.

I still haven't found that, is this somewhere in the comments? But OK, I agree - that would point to it being a more casual project than I would like it, too. On the other hand, for me as an iPhone user, it might still be an interesting project even so. We will see. Gee, thanks for damping my optimism so quickly :(

I'll keep my "amiable" attitude and ignore the personal stabs, if thats OK with you? Anyway I followed your advice and did look up disingenuous, and I agree that it is too strong. Apologies, I am not a native speaker. What I meant to say is "I can't follow /see the logic behind that statement, and find it rashly made". Thanks for providing the supporting quote - more on that below.

I try not to stab first - but calling me a liar tends to set me off, as I go out of my way NOT to be a liar. A pain in the ass, sure, but not a liar.

Anyway, if you did indeed use the wrong word - then no harm done.

I hope I've made my logic clear now.

Sure, and I think that is really cool that you are working on this game, and I don't mean you should be held p to the same standards or anything. I was merely commenting about the act of construing gameplay from a screenshot - if I did that for your game, it would be unfair, don't you think? Instead I think its fair to give the benefit of the doubt, or "optimism" as a starting point. But maybe thats just me.

Unfair? No, not at all. If I show people something with the intention of "selling it" or getting honest criticism - they should not give me anything but their most honest impression. If they think it looks like shit - then it looks like shit.

If I ever finish the game, I'll be sure to include some "stat screens" - because that's largely what my game is going to be about. I can't make fancy graphics as a single person - because it's simply too much work and I don't have the talent to overcome that weakness. I can only hope to achieve a "non-vomit inducing" stage of visuals - but I'll accept what people have to say regardless.

If you think about it, all I'm doing is NOT being impressed by pretty screenshots. Then I look at the "stats" screen - and make a call from that combined with the few months of development time they seem to go for.

I know it can come off as "raining on their parade" - but since they're not even here, it logically can't be. I'm GENUINELY surprised that games like this get so much attention - based on nothing but it being indie stuff. I think my "issue" is with this "indie myth" of them being these desperate starving super-artists or something. It just bothers me, for some reason. Probably because I prefer just giving credit when it's due and NOT before.

No, that was not my intention, see above. I was just me appealing to you as someone who is a developer himself, and has put stuff up for public viewing, and probably would be happy about a bit of goodwill from others.

I'm not a developer. There's a reason I try NOT to speak about my game - even though I don't always manage to do it. Afterall, it takes up a lot of my mental energy - and it can be hard to pretend it doesn't. But I'm of the mind that until I finish something worthwhile, I haven't created anything and it's not really worth talking about - even though I'm naturally curious what others would think about my ideas and designs.

But, if and when I do release something in a similar way - I really want nothing but honesty. That doesn't mean I prefer people taking pleasure from commenting on how shitty it might look, but I would most definitely appreciate someone like myself - keeping his cool and pointing out where the game seems weak. I mean, my ultimate objective is to make a game worth playing - not getting praise just because it's nice.

I do, I do :)

I know you're not stupid. But you have to understand that you appear overly optimistic to me, just like I probably appear to be extremely pessimistic to you.

I still haven't found that, is this somewhere in the comments? But OK, I agree - that would point to it being a more casual project than I would like it, too. On the other hand, for me as an iPhone user, it might still be an interesting project even so. We will see. Gee, thanks for damping my optimism so quickly :(

It's in the blog comments for the top-most screenshots somewhere.

It does seem interesting. There's no denying it looks pretty fantastic - better than Undercroft, which I thought looked great. I'd kill to be able to make my game look that good - but I'm going to have to rely on other strengths.

It wasn't really your comments that "set me off" - but some of the others talking about "dreams coming true" and "abandoning the AAA industry for this". You know?

It's excessive to someone like myself trying to remain objective and see things for what they are - rather than what I'd LOVE for them to be.

I'm sorry if I killed your optimism, but perhaps I saved you future disappointment? :)

Perhaps :)
Well, perhaps we'll see a bit more than four stats in a future update, that would be nice. At least you can play a minotaur...

Perhaps :)
Well, perhaps we'll see a bit more than four stats in a future update, that would be nice. At least you can play a minotaur…

They might be as talented in terms of game design and content generation as they are in terms of visual appeal.

If so, we COULD get a great Dungeon Master clone with modern visuals.

Tell you what, if this game turns out to be reasonably meaty - I'll eat my hat at home and apologize for my negativity right here on the Watch. That should smooth things over a bit ;)

Current misreading by me : "Legends Of Gimmick" ...

I don't know what it is about indie games that make people jump with glee, before actually seeing them in action.

Come on, you know the answer to that one. I think most gamers feel the indie guys won't have the pressure from the suits to bend to marketing whims. With the main focus being making a good game instead of a making what ever is the flavor of the month in sales.

As far as gameplay, you're right, that all remains to be seen. But this site is called "RPG Watch" after all, so shouldn't some of us be talking and getting excited about this game? Hope springs eternal.

Anyways, as was pointed on in this weeks Rampant Games article, "What Does "Old School RPG" Mean To You?", these type of games are for the most part extinct. And other than Gothic, it's the type of RPG I like to play the most.

But I want to thank D & G for their little back and forth discussion, it keeps the thread alive and lets more people see this potential gem.

Come on, you know the answer to that one. I think most gamers feel the indie guys won't have the pressure from the suits to bend to marketing whims. With the main focus being making a good game instead of a making what ever is the flavor of the month in sales.

You assume their main focus is making a good game, not a game that will sell. It has gotten MUCH easier to "break through" since the Smartphone craze began. These games might be old-fashioned - but they're also very easy to make if you've got the inclination and the team for it.

As far as gameplay, you're right, that all remains to be seen. But this site is called "RPG Watch" after all, so shouldn't some of us be talking and getting excited about this game? Hope springs eternal.

I'm not here to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. I simply don't understand the excitement based on what we've seen. Well, unless you're the sort of person who watches his games - rather than plays them.

Anyways, as was pointed on in this weeks Rampant Games article, "What Does "Old School RPG" Mean To You?", these type of games are for the most part extinct. And other than Gothic, it's the type of RPG I like to play the most.

All we have is a few screenshots. If I wanted to play another Dungeon Master with simplified mechanics, that would be one thing.

Maybe that's where we differ. I have no interest in reliving the past. Games should evolve, in my opinion - but I don't agree with the AAA industry about how to accomplish evolution.

But I want to thank D & G for their little back and forth discussion, it keeps the thread alive and lets more people see this potential gem.

At your service :)

Are you kidding , the game looks amazing !!! Indie games are the only games that get my mouth watering anymore. Playing Avernum 6 and loving life .

You assume their main focus is making a good game, not a game that will sell. It has gotten MUCH easier to "break through" since the Smartphone craze began. These games might be old-fashioned - but they're also very easy to make if you've got the inclination and the team for it.

If they wanted to make something that sells above all else would they really be making a turn based RPG? I think the masses these days would spend 30 seconds in a turn based game and go 'What the hell is this? I want to bash stuff!' and move on.

If there was real money to be made in turn based RPGs these days you better believe that EA would be cranking them out like crazy and shoving them in everyone's faces.

Maybe that's where we differ. I have no interest in reliving the past. Games should evolve, in my opinion - but I don't agree with the AAA industry about how to accomplish evolution.
QUOTE]

Games should evolve but there is no reason that the good games that worked in the past need to be extinct. Without evolution, Gothic would not exist. But to this very day there's a legion of RPG fans that would love to play another Might and Magic game right where they left off, provided it was bug free.

You want to move on, that's fine but a lot of us can comfortably play both old school and contemporary RPGs. But for me, the way they are making modern day AAA RPGs, my interest has tilted towards old school. And sadly it seems the more AAA RPGs move to please the console/FPS/Action crowd the more money they make. The more money they make, the less they care about gamers like me. So when I see a developer making my kind of game . . . yeah, I'm pretty excited, hopeful and yes, optimistic.

There's a short in-game video up on their blog. Looks very promising.

If they wanted to make something that sells above all else would they really be making a turn based RPG? I think the masses these days would spend 30 seconds in a turn based game and go 'What the hell is this? I want to bash stuff!' and move on.

If there was real money to be made in turn based RPGs these days you better believe that EA would be cranking them out like crazy and shoving them in everyone's faces.

Because they can satisfy this market segment with a 4-man team doing a game that's easy to make - all things considered. They obviously have talented artists - and based on this thread - that's all they need.

It's not about making it big - but just making a profit without much effort.

It's basically a smart way to get started.

Games should evolve but there is no reason that the good games that worked in the past need to be extinct. Without evolution, Gothic would not exist. But to this very day there's a legion of RPG fans that would love to play another Might and Magic game right where they left off, provided it was bug free.

You don't make a new Might and Magic in 3 months. You can't conjure up game design and content like that. You can make something RESEMBLING a Might and Magic game with modern visuals - but it'll be short on content and most likely have a simplistic game paradigm.

You want to move on, that's fine but a lot of us can comfortably play both old school and contemporary RPGs. But for me, the way they are making modern day AAA RPGs, my interest has tilted towards old school. And sadly it seems the more AAA RPGs move to please the console/FPS/Action crowd the more money they make. The more money they make, the less they care about gamers like me. So when I see a developer making my kind of game . . . yeah, I'm pretty excited, hopeful and yes, optimistic.

Good for you :)

I don't think this is necessarily "your kind of game" - but we'll see.

Are you kidding , the game looks amazing !!! Indie games are the only games that get my mouth watering anymore. Playing Avernum 6 and loving life .

At least you're not exaggerating the value of indie games :)

Back
Top Bottom