Underworld Ascendant - Kickstarter Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment has launched their new kickstarter thirty minutes ago, and is asking for $600,000 to fund development of Underworld Ascendant.

In 1992, Ultima Underworld changed the rules of what a fantasy RPG could be. It introduced the concept of 3D immersion, a player-authored experience, and a richly dynamic world to explore. Its influence led to a whole generation of games such as Thief, Deus Ex, BioShock, Skyrim, and Dragon Age.

Underworld has been hidden away in the deepest vaults of its publisher for two decades. Only now have the original creators unchained the franchise, freeing it to innovate yet again.

Backing the game grants you unprecedented front row access to the creation of the next epoch of this storied masterpiece, Underworld Ascendant. With your help, here's a glimpse at what we can together build:

• Exquisitely Realized Underworld – Plunge into The Stygian Abyss: dark, ripe with dangers, full of ancient secrets to discover. A vast subterranean fantasy world made startlingly real and alive.
  • Dynamic Factions – Become embroiled in an epic plot, as rival factions vie for dominance in struggles that ebb and flow across The Stygian Abyss. Your choices will alter the outcome in subtle and dramatic ways.
  • Improvisation Engine – Delight in player-authored gameplay taken to a whole new level, with a suite of technologies that empower you to solve challenges with astonishing ingenuity. Be the ‘MacGyver’ of a fantasy world.
  • Hero to Call Your Own – Jump right in as a Fighter, Thief or Mage. Then as your Avatar grows, freely mix and match across any skills to develop a unique hero, tailored to your style of play.
  • Pushing Boundaries – Stretch Goals will innovate on co-op play with a friend; letting you build your own corner of The Stygian Abyss; and more.
More information.

Last edited:
They are also doing a new AMA & Twitch stream today.

AMA and GOG Twitch Stream Today!

Join us for an AMA at 12:00PM EST on February 4th to ask questions of the OtherSide Entertainment development team, many of whom were developers for the original Underworld games with Looking Glass Studios. Is there something you’ve always wanted to know about Ultima Underworld? Are you wondering what our vision is for Underworld Ascendant? We’re happy to answer any questions that we can about Underworld Ascendant, Ultima Underworld, and Ultima Underworld II.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

We are pleased to announce that our friends at Good Old Games will be Twitch streaming the classic Ultima Underworld at 9:00PM GMT. (4:00PM EST) on February 4th. Please join some of the OtherSide team in the chat as we wax nostalgic about the game that changed the face of modern RPG gaming.

twitch.tv/gogcom
This will be my first Underworld game I will play as the video got my attention.^^

Last edited:
Looks good, I'll back this one too. Mark it down everyone; Couch and I agree on a game :D

Backed at Journeyman: $35

I backed, it sounds good. I never played any of the Ultimas, but I've heard good things. I got somewhat of an Arx Fatalis vibe watching the video.

I do wonder what this means though:
Rune Gates connect to other worlds as well, including the lands of the Shroud of the Avatar.

Not sure what to think of that, it kinda makes me suspicious.

Mark it down everyone; Couch and I agree on a game :D
Wow I guess hell must of frozen over.

Let me go check outside because its very cold right now.:biggrin:
I do wonder what this means though: Rune Gates connect to other worlds as well, including the lands of the Shroud of the Avatar. Not sure what to think of that, it kinda makes me suspicious.
Richard Garriott is helping with the story as the two games will be connected.
We’re especially excited to reveal that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant. There is a portal between the two worlds, which over the ages travelers have crossed, some bringing with them artifacts and arcane lore.

Our partnership, forged in the bonds of creativity, inspires us to continue the legacy. As backers of Shroud of the Avatar, you know how pivotal you are in the development of the game. No longer is there a wall between the fans and the developers. Through the magic of crowdfunding, we can develop the game and check in with fans along the way. We can get a reality check at each step so we’re truly making the game you, the player want. Not only are we sharing storyline elements with Underworld Ascendant, but we share this philosophy of collaborative development. It is a powerful time in game design, where game creators can connect directly to you, the community.

Backed.
I have no idea if I'll still like this approach, but it's an RPG for PC. We can never have enough of them.

I do wonder what this means though:
Rune Gates connect to other worlds as well, including the lands of the Shroud of the Avatar.

Not sure what to think of that, it kinda makes me suspicious.
Makes me wonder as well...

Richard Garriott is helping with the story as the two games will be connected.

Ah, just a story/lore connection then, that's it? Okay then, kind of a relief.

I was picturing some sort of physical connection between both games. Like, connecting to servers running Shroud or somethin'.

Yep... insta-back. Sure hope they pull this off!

The developer also has a new Community Vote in progress for the Shambler.

Scott Kimball and Tim Stellmach discuss the look of the Underworld Ascendant race, the Shamblers. The OtherSide team needs your opinion. Go to the forum and vote at http://www.othersideentertainment.com…

Too be honest, these guys seem to promise too much for too little money. And they have not mentioned how much they already done and invested. I would trust in this project more if it was like D:OS or new Shadowrun.

As I never played original Ultima games, I don't have any loyalty to the franchise so I look at this from another angle. And I am not sure how good this game can turn out. Also I got burned by Legends of Dawn, WL2 is still not out with their "enhanced edition" and PoE seems to not be real IE successor we imagined so I don't feel like taking a gamble.

I am not too impressed. As I mentioned in another thread I don't see the big appeal of doing this type of game again with a new engine (which looks horrible in the video btw).

But they also didn't show alot and imho also didn't promise a lot in detail. Well factions (whatever that means in gameplay), physics (could be covered with any standard game engine) and that's it.

There is even one thing which looks outright bad:
Pushing Boundaries – Stretch Goals will innovate on co-op play with a friend; letting you build your own corner of The Stygian Abyss; and more.
Putting coop in a game which is not designed for it, normally is a bad idea because it compromises both worlds.

An then there is the entry price of 20$ for early bird and 25$ regular price, which compared to other KS projects is a lot.

I backed the game anyways, but just because:
-I buy/play basically all western RPGs anyways
-I am pretty sure they will bring this game to a release
-I was able to get an early bird pledge rank

If any of the three points wasn't the case I wouldn't have backed it.

What makes you say that?

Not the topic for this. You can read about this from multiple PoE topics from different people (including me).

On topic:
And I did notice pretty bad graphics in early prototype but (like Sea said) I assumed it is not how end product is going to look like.

If this game is finished by end of 2016 (or some time in 2017 which is more realistic) I will be sure to buy it if it is good.

The only reason I mentioned the graphics was because they were a big selling point in the original game. The original was on the edge of technical feasibility in terms of engine/graphics.

Unity Engine - nooooooo!
All these Unity Engine games look the same - cartoon graphics and full of bloom.

Back
Top Bottom