NWN2 My game won't update

Neverwinter Nights 2

Temptress

Watchdog
Hi guys,

My first copy of game said it had a corrputed file and to contact software company. I tried to install the game anyway and it DID run but was VERY slow. I then tried to update the game to no avail. The game updater updated fine but the update itself said:

An incorrect version of the file was found on your system.
The update was unable to complete, since the file contents were incorrect.
C:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\Modules\2600_AJ_Haven.mod
File Size: 57953019
File CheckSum: 8386e0bec70f711a7ef6550f74769799
For assistance, please visit Atari's support web page.
http://www.atarisupport.com
The patch has been aborted

It went through 100% at first but then as it started toapply it it stopped at 3% and aborted to that message.

NOW, I looked for assistance at AtariSupport to find no asssitance for this issue nor anotehr way to update patch.

I took the game to the retailer and traded it in for a new disc.

When I installed THIS version there was no error. It installed flawlessly. I tried to run it but the S L O W issue was stiull there. (As I chatted about in a diff post here)

I went to update the game and again, the updater ran fine. At the end of the actual game update it stopped again and this is what posted:

Your game version is: 1.00.788 English

Pinging: nwn2patch.obsidianent.com
Retrieving autopatcher version information
Connecting...nwn2patch.obsidianent.com
Downloading nwn2_pc_autopatch.txt
Retrieving game patch information
Downloading nwn2_pc_english.txt
Downloading nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to103840.txt
Latest Game Version Available: 1.03.840
Determining the closest server to use.
Pinging: www.atari.com
Pinging: downloads.warcry.com
Connecting...downloads.warcry.com
Locate patch file nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to103840.zip
Downloading nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to103840.zip 115.4 MB
Done downloading.
Extracting files from: temp\nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to103840.zip
inflating: nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to103840.rtp
Copied file: nwn2_pc_english_from100788_to103840.rtp
Patching File Modules\0_Tutorial.mod
Patching File Modules\1000_Neverwinter_A1.mod
Patching File Modules\1100_West_Harbor.mod
Patching File Modules\1200_Highcliff.mod
Patching File Modules\1300_Old_Owl_Well.mod
Patching File Modules\1600_Githyanki_Caves.mod
Patching File Modules\1700_Merchant_Quarter.mod
Patching File Modules\1800_Skymirror.mod
Patching File Modules\1900_Slums.mod
Patching File Modules\2000_Neverwinter.mod
Patching File Modules\2100_Crossroad_Keep_A2.mod
Patching File Modules\2200_Port_Llast.mod
Patching File Modules\2300_Crossroad_Keep_Adv.mod
Patching File Modules\2400_Illefarn_Ruins.mod
Patching File Modules\2600_AJ_Haven.mod
An incorrect version of the file was found on your system.
The update was unable to complete, since the file contents were incorrect.
C:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\Modules\2600_AJ_Haven.mod
File Size: 57953019
File CheckSum: b399f47923a92cc8f968b7ad83b7c923
For assistance, please visit Atari's support web page.
http://www.atarisupport.com
The patch has been aborted

What can I do?

TIA
Loves ~T

System Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Hard Drive: 160 G
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE (Microsoft Corporation)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Display Info: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Pointing Device: Mouse
Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Audio

I think your problem of slowness is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE thats a old and bad designed card iirc and no offense meant. :)
What video drivers are you using and do you have dx9 installed ?
Do you know your motherboard?

Firstly I think you should start over uninstalling and download the 1.2 patch then reinstall appling the 1.2 patch before trying to update on the updater.
Next if you get everything installed correctly and patch, then your are having a problem still with slowness it is very likely your NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE.
You can try to turn down the settings and maybe it will run well enough for you to play but it will never be good.
NWN2 like G3 are very demanding games and your system is kinda of outdated, not kinda it is outdated and your are trying to play the newest most demading games on it so you maybe should not expect to much luck but it might be possible. :)

Btw great logo and welcome to the board. :)

Btw great logo and welcome to the board. :)

First, and most importantly, I thank you. As soon as I figure out the rest of the boards bells and whistles I will be up to date! (Import from a Dot.)

As far as the game goes I will try to find the 1.2 update and run it. If that doesn't work the game will be shelved. If it is my video card that is the issue I can't afford a new one so I'm stuckplaying Guild Wars, City Of Heroes. Titan Quest and whatever else I have been tinkering with lately.

I thank you kindly for your help. OH! The drivers I run are from the Nvidia site for my card, yes I have the newest directX and not really familiar with this board as I didn't put this one together.

Thanks again!

Loves ~T

Sounds like you should try to...

- Uninstall NWN 2 again and manually delete the Atari folder (assuming you have no other Atari games installed ;) ) from your system
- Delete all temp files from \Documents and Settings\[YourUserAccount]\Local Settings\Temp and maybe even delete your temp Internet files to clear up some HD space
- When done with the above, restart and defrag your hard drive (Start - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter
- Try to install NWN 2 again and make sure you have enough free disk space on the partition where you want to install the game (the game takes about 6GB w/o any patches). Before you try to reinstall, you might also want to check on your virtual memory settings real quick by right-clicking on My Computer, then hitting the Advanced tab and then click on Settings under the Performance entry. With 1GB of RAM, you should have a paging file size of 2048MB here so set the min and max to 2048MB and reboot when prompted to do so.
- If all of the above fails then make sure to stress-test your memory (MemTest and/or Prime 95). File corruption (which is a possible cause of your issues) might be a result of bad or incompatible memory.

Good luck! :)

The updater has some problems, true enough. I won a copy of the game but was unable to update through the auto updater. I did find the file and updated it manually, however your video card will not allow you to play the game, at any but the lowest settings, and even badly at that. The game requires sm 3, shader model 3. It is my belief that your card does not support that. You will probably need a 6800gs, 7600 even better. So it looks like a shelf space for nwn2 for the time being.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=19

Hey ffbj, welcome aboard; glad to see you here. When we left the Dot, I left your mod running on its NWN server!! :)

Funny. I still have a few people coming in from time to time to play. I have been lurking around for a while, finally decided I would have to join if I wanted to put in my two cents. Good to see you too. Oh and hello to all.

Last edited:
Temptress
If you can get everything installed successfully and are having the slow problem you can come here to ask about how to turn down the setting if your not familar with what each one does. :)

"I have the newest directX "
Well ignore my question about directx9 in my newest post in G3, since I read those first. ;)

ffbj
"The game requires sm 3, shader model 3.
I think you offer good advice but I disagree with this since all ATI cards don't use SM3 yet the game runs fine, well for the most part and it defiantly will run. :)

Between NVidia's 5700 and 5800 this could easily be the worst cards ever made in relation to time and technology.
This isn't an attack on NVidia as much as pointing out bad designs which is why I mentioned and agree with you if it runs it won't be better than poorly mostly becasue NWN2 is a hog for the engine it uses. :(

Right. Well I mispoke it is shader model 2.0 that it says it needs, while sm 3.0 is desired for best graphics. Anyway the gc he/she has is way underspec, not according to Obsidian though which says the game supports the 5700 and higher, but if you read the comments or frequent the boards you will find many who say that without a 6800 you are sol. As you point out those 5700, in fact the whole 5000 series are real dogs. I should know I have one. Here is a link to the official reqs:

http://www.bizrate.com/graphicscards/products__keyword--7300+le.html

Btw never get an LE, limited edition card. There is a reason they call it that.
They are usually repackaged cards that are made to compete in a particular segment of the market. While the 5700Le is not a particularly bad card as LE cards go it is a good rule of thumb, though exceptions exist, to avoid them.

These are the low end cards that originally where said to support the game.
Though it still shows the card you have as supported: i.e.

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE ** (your card)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 64 Bit Memory * (Shown as unsupported now)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 *** (Shown as unsupported now)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TC * (Shown as unsupported now)
- ATI Radeon X550 *
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = I just can't believe that any of these next EVER belonged on any "supported" list

- ATI Radeon 9600 SE *
- ATI Radeon X300 * (Shown as unsupported now)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 ***
- ATI Radeon 9550 *
- ATI Radeon X300SE * (Shown as unsupported now)
+ ATI IGP: Xpress200 (never actually included, except as an "X300")
- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series ** ( Slowest )

Suffixes, from Good to Awful

ATI Suffixes: (b)XTX > XT > XL > Pro > GTO > Vanilla > GT > SE > Hyper Anything (/b)

nVidia: Ultra = GTX > GT > GS > Vanilla > LE = XT > VE > TC / TD(6200)

My advice is to go with a gs or a gt ultra's aren't worth the price.

So after you manually update, using the link above I would use cool bits and oc my card. Of course you can put all the settings to low and try to run the game first but you may yet get some mileage out of that card, since it say it is supported. You can oc using cool bits:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

Actually the 5700le is already underclocked so it has some room to oc, use optimum, and nudge it up from there, while you keep an eye on your temps. See if that does anygood. You may be able to at least look at the game at say 5-6fps. I did actually get the game to run, for a while, about 15 minutes, on my old plll 850 oc'd to 1.2 ghz with a 5200ge force, before it crashed, though I assume it was the slow cpu which killed it for me not the pre-cambrian gc.

Last edited:
Alot of good info. :)

You can get a 6600gt 256 APG card for $92 US, which at least imo, is a good deal if not very good deal. :)

I don't see the benefit of buying cheap, borderline cards. Why not upgrade as far as possible? I try never to confuse value with price!! Maybe I'm missing something!!!!

Well she said she couldn't afford anything now so, was just giving her a idea of the cheapset choice currently or maybe for future reference. :)
I personally perfer ATI but there best AGP is $125, well of course the 1950 actuallly has a AGP model but it's $249 at that price your entering the grey area as you could get a dual core and motherboard, but clearly her video card is keeping her from playing the two games she wants atm, well imo. ;)

Update the graphics card driver. If it has Microsoft as ID it was probably released before the war. Get a new driver directly from nVidia.

I played NWN2 through with an FX5950 Ultra. I couldn't turn everything on, but the game was certainly playable. The 5950 is the best of the crappy FX cards though. It's a 256 card with 4 pipes. I finally ditched it for a 7800 GS.

Ok, here is the results thus far:

I cleaned up everything and ran defragmenter. I deleted the Atari file and of course the NWN2 games before I defragged.

I then re-installed the game and attempted to update via the updater. IT WORKED!

I then went to play the game and it was 'different' than before. It was still slow but only about half as bad as before. Still unplayable to me but there was a significant difference.

So, I think I need to try the settings as suggested. I will look in the forum for some setting suggestions to try, however, if anyone has an idea of what I should do pelase don't hesitate to post! :)

The info on the graphics cards is a big help too. Earlier last year I was going to purchase a new gc. I was looking at the 7800. My main issue was that the one I would need was the rarer of the 2 types and it would have run me around $400 or $600. It was too much for me to pay at the time as my system worked perfectly and I hadn't had issues prior to these I have now. So basically my response about not being able to afford opne is due to my experience about the card I would have to get.

ANY info and suggestions on cards will help me. I agree with Corwin though, if I understood him correctly, that if I am going to buy one I don't want to waste money on a substandard card. I just don't know enough about them to make a valid choice on my own. (Technically I am good with my hands and can do the manual work like putting cards in and changing parts, etc.. I just don't know enough about the individual pieces to choose whats the best thing. . . .That make sense? I'm an oddity, I know.)

Thanks for the help!!!

(I also installed Gothic3 but still have the same issue. It won't start. Will post more about that there though.)

Loves ~T

WHile I can't help much on the tech side, consider where you're going with your PC in the next 2 years, including OS. Let that determine your purchase. Don't buy a card which won't work in a new MB you decide to get in 6 months time for example!! Plan ahead.

The $200 is the best segment to buy in. It provides the best bang for your buck. An example of this is the X1950 pro, I have this card and it runs everything I throw at it as smooth as silk, including Gothic 3 at the "high" setting. The Nvidia equivalent is the 7950GT which is also a very good card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/15/how-200-goes-a-lot-further/
I don't really like tomshardware but the title of the article says it all.

Ok first try setting the game to 800 x 600, then Anitalising mode 0, Shadows Off.
Then uncheck Normal Mapping, Point Light, Softer Shadow and Weapons Trails.
Next set Textures to Low and Draw Distance to maybe 150 or if it automaticly set lower, then leave it lower.
Under Advanced Settings set everything to lowest (picking None or Linear) and uncheck Bloom, Use NPCs LIght Sources, Water Reflection and Water Recfraction.
Under Sound make sure EAX and Hardware are unchecked.
That would set you at lowest possible settings which is proabably the best you will see it running but it won't look very nice. :(

Now if this gives you alittle extra power I would suggest on the first Tab where you selected 800 x 600 you could try changing the Textures to Medium or Higher Resolution. Not both at once, only the one which is most important better looking or bigger picture, or heck you might want to turn on the Water Effects one at a time maybe Reflection.
That should be enough to get you started. ;)

Yes I only recomended the 6600gt because of budget mentioned.
Right there are 2 different cards now AGP and PCI, APG are more expensive cause they are trying to force everyone to upgrade to PIC. :)

The cheapest Intel dual core with an Asus motherboard (both very good brands) is, Asus P5VDCMX & Pentium D 805 for $156.96, shipping free just so you have a frame of reference.
If you perfer nvidia then the geforce 7800gs I think you mentioned is $217.27 shipped.
Depending on your RAM you may need newer but you proabably could get by if you have say 3200 or better, if not you would need minimum of 1gig of 3200 Samsung SAM-512MB-PC3200 $100.
Lastly depending on how old your case is you could need a new power supply with an average one costing $50 to $70.
So the minimum to spend, for low end, of a high powered systems is $535 with you doing to work, obviously you could spend more. :)

bjon045
"Nvidia equivalent is the 7950GT"
I don't think they offer AGP version.

Some good advice, good that you got the game to run though unplayable. Pretty much what was expected. So you have to decide whether you want to try and ring as much as you can out of your current set up, or go with a new mb which supports pci-x.
Many things to consider. For instance you probably will have to get a better power supply depending on whether your current one has a pci plug. Other considerations are your cpu. It will bottleneck any of those better cards. i.e. the processor (1.8 ghz) is too slow to keep up with the video card. I got the xfx 7600 though a bit pricey it's a good card and a better card would be pointless for me though the 1950 pro is getting good reviews from those that are still in AGP land, it's a hundred bucks more.

The card I just bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150210

Here's what I would do. Find out the best possible cpu my mb can support. Amd cpu's are dirt cheap right now. Then depending on which cpu you can get match the various agp video cards to that. Also I assume your mb supports agp 8.0. If not it seems a bit of a waste to buy a fast agp card. You should also take a look at your power and see if you have enough to upgrade the cpu and gc.

http://extreme.outervision.com/

The alternative is just to go with a whole new set-up, which while more expensive, will get you more in the long run, considering you may have to upgrade your cpu and ps, anyway. Of course you may want to hold off for the moment as dx10 and vista are coming, but that is beyond what most of us want to invest. I am thinking around 1200 bucks to start from ground zero, at a minimum.

A little article on cpu bottlenecks, while a little dated, it gets the point across.
Actually your current cpu is probably a bottleneck and would be the first thing I would upgrade, come to think of it. Alot cheaper than buying a new gc.

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/archive/editorials/bottlenecks.shtml

Is your mb socket A. If so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_A

The fastest for socket A is the 3200+ Barton 400mhz fsb.

Btw the 2800 is 2.25ghz not 1.8, so that may be enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom