NWN2 Fighter/Mage Advice

Neverwinter Nights 2

magerette

Hedgewitch
Finally got the Titan Quest monkey off my back and started NWN2 this week--I read Sorcha's "frustrated " thread, so I gritted my teeth through the early game and kept telling myself I could play a Ranger, but I'm tired of trying to melee with a bow.

Has anybody gone the fighter/caster route? If so, how many fighter levels is practical? Or could the game actually be finished with a pure caster without causing brain damage?

I am thinking dual class for the ability to take the hits, cast buffs like Tensers, but still be able to lob a fireball or two when mobbed--but I hate giving up the higher level spells.

Also, is it worth it trying to build for a prestige class? Since the level cap is 20, I'm thinking you'ld be barely getting into the meat of it.

Any and all tips will be deeply helpful to my sanity.:uncool:

I took one level of Barb to begin, which really helped at the start of the game, then I switched to a pure mage (sorc)!! Had very little trouble. 2 areas were difficult, but I managed them!!

Sounds like your really like Mages as do I, though as I posted in Sorcha's thread, I was totally frustrated the first 10 hours unable to get out of the starting vilage happy.

I decided I would play exactlly what I like and if the game was broken, as it was before 1.02 and 1.03 and I wouldn't feel bad if I had to make console changes here or there.
I was determined not to have badly balanced or rushed out game ruin my fun. :)

I played a strait Mage, it's possible since at almost every point you have a Tank with you, make dang sure you have Shield or Mage Shield as one of your first spells.
I played Human for the extra Feats and at least to me the best 1st level only Feat is Luck of Heroes, that is plus Save to Everything. ;)

If you want fighter levels, I don't think you need more than 1 or 2 levels of it but you will miss out on your level 9 spells if you do more than 2 levels.

If you like playing females the best looking outfit in the game, well certianly starting outfits is the Warlock outfit and I even used this as my crafted armor which I was able to customise with effects. ;)
nw_cloth029

If you want to melee and cast, I would advise going for a cleric or a druid, rather then a fighter/mage. You do give up a lot of spells and casting power by multi classing a mage, and it is usually not advisable.

However, if you do not mind giving up some spells in return for physical power, the Eldritch Knight might be a good prestige class for you.
Maybe a 6wizard/4 fighter/10 EK build or something?

Thanks all. I amost did choose a cleric, Sorcha--that was the first class I ever played in dnd-based crpgs and it is a really strong and able one, but...in this game, both buffing and healing seem kind of secondary when you can survive most fights unbuffed and then rest for 5 seconds--taking less time than it would to cast multiple heals.
The Eldritch Knight did sound exactly like what I was talking about, and you don't forfeit increasing your spell knowledge; it's a definite possibility.

Ace, I love picturing you in your warlock battle bikini;) I thought it was a little too much role-playing for me. I'm enheartened by both you and Corwin that it might be possible to play more of a pure caster, so I'm going to go the sorc route for now. However, this is the kind of game I tend to start over twenty times so we'll see how it goes.

Man this is broken combat to me though. I would kill for ANY kind of "party formation" button.

"warlock battle bikini"
Yeah, I always wonder what those weirdo mages actually got going on under those big baggy robe, I just don't trust'um! :)

I can't recall atm, if you played G3 but it's really annoying to have to watch some guy shake his butt while casting a teleport spell or whatever, why in the hell PB would use that animation, i'm at a loss for words. :p

The constant scripted ambushes are obsurd as well as not have formations.
Especially when playing physically weaker class like a caster, everyone keeps there tanks up front, it's what they are for but if your playing a mage and trying to use your tank to speak in case you suspect a hostile encounter, it forces your mage up front and center in batlle.
Now that's brilliant gameplay stratigy, oh wait no it isn't! ;)

It's just one of many small annoyances I find in the game!!

you are aware there is a pause button right?:)

Yes, I used pause to take snapshots and remind me how Buffy and Slayer (the rabbit) looked before they were slaughtered into ground meat and served as Quad Mac burgers! :biggrin:

you are aware there is a pause button right?:)

I've been working with it but it's pretty labor intensive compared to your usual party management--a missed click puts the wrong char in charge and the others then fly like lemmings to thier death. I've got puppet mode on now and it seems to be going a bit better.

Not like Wiz8 tho...sigh
@Acleasius--no haven't played Gothic3 but I think you just gave me another reason not to. ;)

I am pleasantly surprised by the story, however, and the dialogue choices etc are good solid rpg stuff. I was a little taken aback by the graphics--tried to remember what game they reminded me of--finally figured out it was Daggerfall.(Lumpy houses, soft dissolve edges, but thankfully no motion sickness:) )

I'm hooked tho so on to Whitecliff. Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom