Might & Magic X party creation and tips.

I think, if I remember correctly, the tunnels were the peak of the game's difficulty, I recommend you do not try Lords of Xulima if you feel there is too much combat in MMX though :p

I haven't had much time to play lately, but I finally reached Karthal and the surrounding areas. Still finding it very challenging. Money is scarce, and it seems like I never have enough mana potions.

One thing is certain though.. Sleep is easily the most powerful offensive spell in the game, at least in the first few chapters. No way I would have reached Karthal without it.

So I'm finally getting a chance to fire up this game. I've made it a point to avoid any character build guides or min/max discussions so that I can approach it as fresh and unspoiled as possible.

After much debate, for roleplaying purposes I've decided to go with Barbarian/Scout/Druid/Freemage. On the surface it seems to be a balanced party, might/hybrid/magic/magic. However, the little bit I have read about this game seems to suggest that it is very easy to create a sub-optimal build and that this game punishes sub-optimal builds severely.

So my question to you MMX vets is this: Is this party viable? If so, without getting meta or min-maxish, are there any skills or magic groups that are essential or at least highly recommended. Anything to avoid?

My usual playstyle for dungeon crawler/blobbers is to play fairly conservatively while at the same time go for as long as possible in between rests/return to surface. I would hate to have a party that has to rest in between each fight.

Looks fine to me. You have a wide array of GM'able skills, so that should help. Recommend looking at the class chart here for some direction on where to take each character, as the game manual is lacking.

Well, I'd say that is a super party, you'd be hard pressed to make a better one! :) You're going to win easily. Just focus on the skills you can become grand master in, and earth + light magic is ( almost ) a must.

Thanks for the tips! I made my team and am currently exploring outside of Sorpigal. The link was invaluable Drithius. You were right too the manual is absolutely terrible. I've got the Steam version and the manual is actually from the Beta. It doesn't even have all the character classes listed!

Anyways so far so good. The only problem I see is that I gave Earth and Light to my druid. So if she gets knocked out I'm without healing.

Make sure to give points to at least two characters, for example give the scout light magic, or put some points for the free mage in one of the healing schools, otherwise you'll get in trouble later on.

Got to play this a little more over the weekend. I cleared out Sorpigal, the surrounding areas, and the Den of Thieves. After getting curbstomped by a shadow dragon in one of the random dungeons, I've decided to try tackling the Lighthouse. My characters are currently level 7.

I have a dilemma regarding my Scout. I want to focus on Crossbows, Axes, Dual wield, and Medium Armor. Would I be spreading my points too thin if I also took Fire AND Light to Expert? My Freemage is focused on Air, Dark, and Primordial; I could give her Fire too but I'm also worried about spreading her points too thin as well.

Also, is Magical Focus worth putting points into if I'm not increasing Destiny on my Freemage? I would rather increase spell points and magic strength over critical chance.

One of the most enjoyable yet frustrating part of this game is the idea that with only 4 characters and limited EXP available I'm never going to have enough skill points to do everything I want to with my characters. Enjoyable in that it forces me to plan ahead and really think carefully about placing skill points. Frustrating in that I am overthinking it a bit.

What do you guys think?

Admittedly, I never played a scout, so I don't know how useful GM x-bow is, but I would make expert fire a priority for Burning Determination.

Magical focus will allow you to equip staves, of which there are quite a few of the epic variety. Taking it beyond that point is more of an endgame "now what?" sorta thing.

For a scout you'll be fine with those six things, there are enough points for that, although I prefer shield from dual wield, if you are to use him as a healer ( light magic ).

I really enjoyed grandmaster in magical focus :) It is very useful because there are critical magic strikes, and you can dual wield focuses…..

I would recommend getting earth magic up for your free mage as well. ( It is a bit overpowered the way I see it )

I must say that despite the absolutely awful approach to environments, this game's combat is commendable. I also liked the rapid character progression.

I found the Air school the least effective of the elemental schools. Dark, fire and water become very powerful and earth is essential for protection (water is good there too). I try to have at least one overlap where possible, so I have 2 learning light, fire, water, earth, but usually only one on air till much later in the game.

I found the Earth and Light schools necessary for survival. I also got Dark early for secrets.

I have a small question.

ON the Games Com, I had received a diskette ( ! ) with a code printed on it - it says "in-game unlockable content" below the code.

However, neither web site nor U-Play client accept the code - most likely because the code is printed in capital letters only.

Does anyone here have an idea on how to unlock the item with that code ? Did I do anything wrong at all ?

I seem to remember a DLC pack that was initially released while the game was still at the demo level. Perhaps you've got that and it's not compatible with the full released game?

No, I don't mean that, sorry. It's a real diskette that was given people at the Games Com at the MMX booth in 2013.

I do know of the DLC from their web site, though.

I tried to start it - the code that came with the game unlocked it on U-Play - but it wanted to install a patch before that ... Now either the game wants to download & install itself once again, or the Patch is actually/really 10 GB big ...

Okay, the case is solved now : It must get unlocked within the game ...

Back
Top Bottom