Today is ...

.. the day I got and installed Mass Effect 2. Yay! Eh.. perhaps not - ok, it may turn out to be crap - but I got it from Play.com for only £12.5. So if it's crap, it's CHEAP crap.

1835: Discovery of Melbourne@Australia. I'll leave it to Corwin to decide whether this is good news or not.
1836: Discovery of Houston@what-was-to-become-Texas. My condolences!
1909: Discovery of the Burgess Shale fossils.1945: Discovery of General Douglas MacArthur landing at Atsugi Air Force Base. Yay!! (I wonder where he's going tomorrow)
1984: First filght of the Discovery space shuttle. Doubleplusgood!!!

Other discoveries:
1797: Mary Shelley (disappeared in 1851)
1939: John Peel
1954: Alexander Lukashenko. All hail the great lead.. oh .. don't have to, don't live in Belarussia.
1972: Cameron Diaz

BTW, regarding amino acids in comets/meteorites. I've heard about the extra terrestial theories, but frankly I can't see why we need them. There are a lot of different mechanisms that could create amino acids here, on earth. It's not particularly difficult. Together these explanations seem much more likely than a mainly extraterrestial source. Finding these and other "organic" molecules in meteors and comets is more likely an indication that such molecules are readily made throughout the universe. That's what I think, and I'm a Norwegian and know these things.

Sharkey's day

1314: King Håkon V Magnusson moves the capital of Norway from Bergen to Oslo. THIEF! THIEF! WE HATES IT FOREVER!!!

1422: King Henry V (of England) dies of dysenteria (Shigella!!!) in France. Which for some reason resulted in:
1422: King Henry VI (of England) becomes king, only 9 months old. Which is kind of impressive. These days (just ask Temptress) children can't even walk at that age.

1888: First victim of Jack the Ripper.

1945: Australian Liberal Party founded. Ahh,.. the day's not quite right without som news from Australia.

1897: Thomas Edison patents the Kinetoscope, the first movie projector. Without which the next event wouldn't have taken place:
1948: Moviestar Robert Mitchum was arrested, guilty of criminal conspiracy to possess marijuana. I'm not particularly good at legalese - did he posess pot or didn't he?

1998: North Korea reportedly launches Kwangmyŏngsŏng, its first satellite. And once again Kim Jong-il weeps because he has to spend his .. sorry .. North Korea's money on this while his .. sorry .. North Korea's people are starving.

And we say a hearty welcome to Roger Dean who decided to join us on this very day in 1944. YES!!!

Last edited:
1314: King Håkon V Magnusson moves the capital of Norway from Bergen to Oslo. THIEF! THIEF! WE HATES IT FOREVER!!!

Maybe it was raining too much in Bergen :p

.. the day I got and installed Mass Effect 2. Yay! Eh.. perhaps not - ok, it may turn out to be crap - but I got it from Play.com for only £12.5. So if it's crap, it's CHEAP crap.

1835: Discovery of Melbourne@Australia. I'll leave it to Corwin to decide whether this is good news or not.

Well, I'm in Melbourne right now, so it's good news they invented it back then otherwise, all I would have is a tent, sleeping outside. It's winter right now, so that's not good :)

Still with Gothic III, then I need to get to Risen. So, probably will never get to the Mass Effects...

Welcome to Oz. Hope you like the place, though where I live is MUCH better!! :) If you get up Brisbane way, give me a holler.

Well, I'm in Melbourne right now, so it's good news they invented it back then otherwise, all I would have is a tent, sleeping outside. It's winter right now, so that's not good :)
Ahhh. You would go to Melbourne even if it didn't exist, and in that case stay in a tent. That's what I call dedication.

Welcome to Oz. Hope you like the place, though where I live is MUCH better!! :) If you get up Brisbane way, give me a holler.

Hehe, Brisbane is at least warmer and sunnier than Melbourne I believe. Shitty weather here.
I'm going to Perth and Darwin in two weeks time. Brisbane won't be for a while, but I will come at least for a weekend, maybe on my way to or back from Cairns. I want to go diving there and see the Coral Reefs up close. :)

Ahhh. You would go to Melbourne even if it didn't exist, and in that case stay in a tent. That's what I call dedication.

You need dedication in something in life. Studies are hard, so it would have been much easier to go a place where the university didn't exist yet. I could make up my own PDEs and own modulation techniques... :p (should have gone with history...)

Melb weather is famous, or should that be notorious!! :) My son has been working there for 3 years now and can't wait to get back up here. You'll find Darwin QUITE a change weather wise from Melb!! lol

… the day when I will listen to all my Porcupine Tree albums. (In sequence)

1902: "A trip to the moon", is released in France. Possibly the first Sci-Fi movie.
1906: The "International federation of intellectual property attorneys" is founded. Well,…
1939: Germany invades Poland, starting WW2.
1972: Bobby Fisher becomes world chess champion.
1974: SR-71 Blackbird flies New York - London in 1 hour, 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds. Still not beaten.

No news from Australia, although quite a number of of Aussies saw the light of day on this day. But I don't bother mentioning anyon of them.

The upcoming Porcupine Tree song is "Always never" from the "Up The Downstairs" album. Mmmm. Psychedelia!!!

… Google day

1998: Google, the company was founded. BTW, I googled for "google" and according to google there were 1 430 000 000 results. Compared to this there were 315 000 000 results for "Microsoft", 75 600 000 resukts for "IBM" and 5670 results for "pibbur".

1886: Geronimo!!

1260: The wars of the Guelphs and the Ghibellines where the ghibs pwned the guelphs

476: Western Roman empire was pwned by Odoace, the upcoming king of Italy.

1884: UK stops sending criminals to New South Wales in Australia. From now on the aussies have to produce their own criminals.

1956: IBM 305 RAMAC, the first computer to use a hard disk was born.

1957: "Little Rock" crisis in the US.

1985: Buckminsterfullerene, the first fullerene was discovered. Today the Google logo is "Go gle" (which I don't understand the meaning of), and if you click on it, you get 68 600 results for "Fulleren". In case yout wanted to know because you didn't know what you should know about what a fullerene is.

Some notable appearances:
1937: Dawn Fraser
1959: Kevin Harrington
1974: Andrew Hansen
1981: Richard Garcia
1984: Hamish McIntosh

Last edited:
Wow, great! And I'm not even on Facebook. Now, where did I put those sunglasses.

Still a bit to go before I reach your 23 900.

... father's day in Australia.

1661: One Nicolas Fouquet is arrested by the captain of king Louis XIV's musketeers, good ol' D'Artagnan
1698: Tsar Peter, version 1.0 of Russia imposes a tax on beards. BABYFACE!!!
1862: General Lee crosses the Potomac River
1906: First legal forward pass in cricket is for some reason thrown by Bradbury Robinson. It says "american football" on wikipedia, but it's all cricket to me.
1977: V'ger 1 is launched
1984: Space shuttle Discovery ends it's maiden voyage
2000: Haverstra Ossining Ferry begins it's maiden voyage
1725: Maria Leszczynska is no longer a maiden (presumably) after marrying King Louis XV of France
2277: Pibbur crosses the Potomac River

There are at the moment 5710 results for "Pibbur" on Google. Popularity is down by 0.3%

2278: Pibbur the mad's body is found in the Potomac delta after fishermen open up a whale's stomach. Apparently pibbur saw his google count drop to the lowest levels in a 100 years of less than 322333232409 results and he decided to jump in one of the river's whales.

Pibbur, I think you're going blind, it's 5790… :O

Hmm. Still 5710 when I search. Must be some modesty filter in action, to prevent me from being too proud. Or to prevent my unfortunate demise in 2278.

… a day for Pibbur and the Wife

9: Arminius and a couple of germans pwned Publius Quinctilius Varus and asome roman legionaires
1000: King Olaf Tryggvasson of Norway was pwned by Eirik Jarl and a few fellows of JemyM and Dartagnan. Hmmmmmm.
1493: Croats pwnned by Ottomans.
1513: King James of Scotland is PWNED. The shortlist at Wikipedia doesn't say by who.
1776: United States is officially called the "United States".
1850: Here comes California!
1839; The first glass plate photograph.
1940: The first remote operation of a computer. A great achievement since those old machines weren't exactly laptops.
1947: First computer bug! Which actually was a bug in the form of a moth stored in a relay in the Harward Mark II.

It wouldn't be a day worth mentioning without some cricketeer birthdays. Of course. So here they are:

1986: Chamu Chibhabha
1984: James Hildreth
1982: Graham Onions
1974: Shane Crawford (Ok, he's an australian rules footballer. Who cares?)

5800 results for pibbur on Google today, without touching the safety settings.

Back
Top Bottom