Cyberpunk 2077 - Mike Pondsmith on the Cyberpunk world

“Cyberpunk is about that interface between people and technology. But not in that transhumanous way, where it’s all about the technology changing or improving them. It’s about how people use things.” “Cyberpunk isn’t about saving humanity, it’s about saving yourself.”

Maybe there will finally be a good crpg where your not the hero or chosen one.

If he remains involved... then no, it won't be. The themes of the original game were about small-scale victories. You were a rebel...sometimes working inside the system, usually outside. But while you were theoretically one of the "good guys" sticking it to the "bad guys" (or, in some cases, the guys who were your competition but just as bad as you.) But the victories, while hard-earned and felt large, were generally small in the grand scale of things.

And sometimes you found out that they weren't victories at all, but that somebody else had been pulling your strings. But that trope HAS been done a few times in RPGs.

Mike Pondsmith seems like a cool guy. I'm glad a guy with his vision is working on this project.

Dang it, the hype is cranking and the game is still 2+ years out! This is cruel and unusual!! (Well, cruel anyway...)

Okay, can someone recommend a game currently out where the protagonist is not some sort of 'Chosen'? Just a Guy trying to get by. I'd like a non-party, single-player, open world, NON turn-based game where I don't have to endlessly twiddle with and juggle inventory and stats.
Could be anything, high fantasy, sci-fi, whatever. Not big on magical super powers either.

Okay, can someone recommend a game currently out where the protagonist is not some sort of 'Chosen'? Just a Guy trying to get by. I'd like a non-party, single-player, open world, NON turn-based game where I don't have to endlessly twiddle with and juggle inventory and stats.
Could be anything, high fantasy, sci-fi, whatever. Not big on magical super powers either.

Good luck with that. I can't recall any that fit your criteria.:)

Some behind the scenes art, work-in-progress and screens of that fantastic trailer here: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Cyberpunk-2077/6573211

That actress who portrayed the female protagonist in the trailer is absolutely stunning!

That's allot of work just for a trailer. Good to see the tech involved in making the game also. To bad Bioware can't nail down hair physics like that yet.

Last edited:

Closest thing I can think of is System Shock 2. As I recall the protagonist is basically just a soldier thrown into unfortunate circumstances. It's a non-party, single-player, non-turn-based game. Not exactly open world, though, and you do have to play with inventory and stats.

That's allot of work just for a trailer. Good to see the tech involved in making the game also. To bad Bioware can't nail down hair physics like that yet.

To be fair, that trailer was developed mostly by another studio (Platige Image) primarily for marketing.

We have yet to see any in-game media.

But since we know the game will be based off the Witcher 2 RED Engine, it should look spectacular :)

Waiting for 2 years is going to kill me, aaaarghh.....

To be fair, that trailer was developed mostly by another studio (Platige Image) primarily for marketing.

We have yet to see any in-game media.

But since we know the game will be based off the Witcher 2 RED Engine, it should look spectacular :)

Waiting for 2 years is going to kill me, aaaarghh…..

Don't worry you will have Witcher 3 first.;) There's supposed to be an announcement in February. Fingers crossed.

Some behind the scenes art, work-in-progress and screens of that fantastic trailer here: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Cyberpunk-2077/6573211

That actress who portrayed the female protagonist in the trailer is absolutely stunning!
So much work put in the making of the trailer……and then they screw it all up in the music department :).

Anyway, I am really looking forward to this game.

Such a long wait though. Maybe I can be frozen down and awaken when the game is out? I'll look into it.

Maybe there will finally be a good crpg where your not the hero or chosen one.

So unlikely. It is going to be a hard scripted story driven game and exceptional characters make it so much easier to advance the plot line.

Exceptional characters are binary. For example, exceptional characters are exceptional because they put their life on the line every time.
Good because it makes failure easier to implement as when they fail, exceptional characters die, game over.

Mediocre characters would introduce the requirements for all kinds of spectrums for actions.

With heavily charted story driven games that work on the if then else sequence it is near to impossible.

Isn't saving oneself, a step to save humanity ? What he says about his vision of cyberpunk is very interesting and relevant, imho. Another game to track closely !

Isn't saving oneself, a step to save humanity ?
I'm ALMOST sure that you didn't mean it this way but it sounds really megalomaniac :)

And the answer is: no, it isn't.

I'm always leary of a game that sells itself with a scantily-clad female on the cover. That usually means there's not much underneath. But I hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom