Might & Magic Heroes 7. Day 1 impressions

I admit I've only taken a quick look at this, but all my instincts practically screamed: soulless cash-grab.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think so. At the very least, I strongly advise waiting a few months to see if a "magical" patch arrives.

You've been warned ;)

I read the Shacknews review this morning ... and there was a phrase that was something like "issues and design decisions that suck the fun out of the experience" ...

Yeah, I'll wait for the 75% off sale :)

Yeah, I was actually surprised - since I think HoMM5 and HoMM6 were both pretty good considering, and I expected this one to be even better.

I can't quite put my finger on it, it's just everything about it seemed half-assed and without passion.

If I had to take a guess, some suit probably wanted them to milk the cow without investing properly and forgot about the long-term consequences.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Oh if you can wait, definitely wait. There are plenty of the typical release bugs that'll probably get fixed in the first week. Personally I haven't found any campaign stopping bugs yet, but little bugs sure.

Well, the game is one of the buggiest games I've played in a very long time. Gameplay is really good, but it does not work properly for me.

Bugs I've encountered thus far (played through the short Haven campaign (4 maps) and a single skirmish level (small, 3 opponents)):
The game does not close properly. When I exit it, there is still a process running in the background, and I need to enter the task manager to close it.

The special skill that marksmen has does not align properly, and sometimes "starts" from the wrong place.

I had issues with the game not accepting me assigning skills, and during the 4th level on the haven campaign, I could not pick any of the "inner" skills.

Pillaged resources (like mines and lumbermills) stay pillaged forever.

XP-bars don't work properly when you crush an opposing hero (seem to be some rollover problem)

Some names are placeholders (like the poetically named mName)

Many graphical effects don't align properly. It does not impact gameplay, but it gives a very sloppy impression.

Killed heroes still show up on the minimap for a few turns

Heroes sometimes get some of their movement points back when entering a town screen.

Heroes sometimes don't expend their entire move when moving, even though they got order to do so.

When entering the town screen for a recently conquered town, a dead enemy hero was showing as present in the town (the hero that guarded the town when I conquered it). I could set the hero as "leader" of that town, despite it being both dead and not mine.

Random stack of Plague Lamasu appeared on my side during combat (I got 10 of them for some reason)

The game does not always show the correct damage you'll deal when mousing over an enemy during combat. This seem to be because the damage shown does not take into account certain defensive properties (it takes some into account, but not all).

Sometimes the game won't show the expected damage at all when mousing over an enemy.

The location of treasures are not always correctly shown when you've visited all obelisks.

The AI is daft. Alright, so that might not be a bug, but it keeps sending level 1 heroes with either no or only a handful of creatures into my territory. Those will just move right past my high level heroes with big creature stacks.

The vampire special ability that should let them revive parts of their stack upon attacking the enemy does flat out not work.

Would I recommend the game? No, not in its current form. I've played 5 levels and discovered that many bugs, without actively looking for them, and to me that indicates that it was not ready for release.

Oh if you can wait, definitely wait. There are plenty of the typical release bugs that'll probably get fixed in the first week. Personally I haven't found any campaign stopping bugs yet, but little bugs sure.

There are known campaign stopping bugs on haven level 2, 3 & 4, necropolis 2 & 4, stronghold 3 & academy 2. Actually, the ones on Haven 2 & 3 seem to be very common and easy to trigger (Haven 3 actually has 2 known showstoppers).

I'm fairly certain that the only version of HoMM in which the AI could put up any fight in a balanced multiplayer game was HoMM 1. In all of the others it was generally a pushover to varying degrees, although some were better then others. The HoMM 1 AI was quite challenging though, probably because the game was much simpler and there were many fewer decisions for it to make.

Campaigns are another matter entirely though, and most versions of HoMM had campaign maps that were quite challenging on hard.

The AI in the first 2 HoMM games cheated horribly. They did not change much between the difficulty levels, apart from how much the AI would cheat.

Last edited:
Well, the game is one of the buggiest games I've played in a very long time.

While for some of those I wouldn't care (game doesn't properly exit for example), most of them I'd vomit if I saw.
Thanks for the input!

And I thought Ubi learned something from AC:Unity… Silly me.

That's what I mean there are plenty of minor bugs. One of the ones you mentioned actually isn't a bug, Haven towns (probably one of the first upgrades that most start with) have the property that they add +5 movement for visiting heroes.

That's why I always said, in MY personal experience, I haven't found yet any game-breaking bugs. No crashes after 20+ hours playing, and all missions I've done (so far) I've completed fine. That's not to say there aren't game breaking bugs, but I haven't experienced them.

Still, I decided to pause my playing until the first patch. With so many people reporting on campaign breaking bugs (even though I haven't experienced them) I gather it's possibly just a matter of time before I experience one of those.

That's what I mean there are plenty of minor bugs. One of the ones you mentioned actually isn't a bug, Haven towns (probably one of the first upgrades that most start with) have the property that they add +5 movement for visiting heroes.

I did not mean heroes entering the town, I meant that if you enter the town screen (no matter if there is a hero there or not) heroes sometimes get part of their movement back. This seem to be related to if they have some form of movement bonus from another source, which resets to full again.

Not that it matters much but on Steam half of ppl say great, half say lousy.
This other half (imagine this) mentions too many bugs.

wolfling, seems you became too forgiving!
:)

Not that it matters much but on Steam half of ppl say great, half say lousy.
This other half (imagine this) mentions too many bugs.

wolfling, seems you became too forgiving!
:)

I am forgiving of minor bugs as long as I enjoy the game, and I still enjoy this game a lot. Also helps that I haven't encountered any crashes or game breaking bugs.

I am finding the maps in the campaign to be too big and the fact that i cant skip watching the ai turns annoying.the enemy has like 10 heroes running around and it takes ages for them to finish each turn.

Thanks for your impressions!

Seems like winter sale will be a good point to grab it.

What I still don't understand is that the game was in public beta. They even gave beta keys for peanuts cash in M&M bundle. One would think betatesters bugged the game so much only superrare glitches could pass into the release version. And now I saw on Steam that the game is RAMhungry (not very surprising considering all recent Ubi games are pathetic when it comes to code optimization except AC:Rogue, but still).

Is it possible that betatest phase ended too soon and the game was rushed to the market just to use the blank spot between releases of MGS5 and FO4?
If that was Ubi's plan, it's IMO silly. As for all I know, there is no title planned for december.

What I still don't understand is that the game was in public beta. They even gave beta keys for peanuts cash in M&M bundle. One would think betatesters bugged the game so much only superrare glitches could pass into the release version. And now I saw on Steam that the game is RAMhungry (not very surprising considering all recent Ubi games are pathetic when it comes to code optimization except AC:Rogue, but still).

Is it possible that betatest phase ended too soon and the game was rushed to the market just to use the blank spot between releases of MGS5 and FO4?
If that was Ubi's plan, it's IMO silly. As for all I know, there is no title planned for december.

I played the beta, and apart from long loading times, I did not actually experience many issues with the game. Might have been because they mainly presented the bits that worked in the public beta, making it more of an early demo.

So bonus movement stuff, skills that don't work properly and slow enemy heroes was not possible to see in beta?
Nice beta... LOL

So bonus movement stuff, skills that don't work properly and slow enemy heroes was not possible to see in beta?
Nice beta… LOL

I never noticed the problem with bonus movement, so the condition that triggered it might not have been in there. And while marksmen were in the beta, I at least did not notice their shots miss-aligning (granted, I only played a short level as Haven during the beta). The beta did by the way not have all factions, only 4 of them. The AI was not bright though, so that was an issue back then as well, but it was a beta, so I expected them to actually work on the AI.

The major bugs are campaign related, which was not available for the beta test (just skirmish maps), so that's part of the reason.

What I still don't understand is that the game was in public beta. They even gave beta keys for peanuts cash in M&M bundle. One would think betatesters bugged the game so much only superrare glitches could pass into the release version.

Me, I'm guilty insofar that I never played the beta … *shame on me*

The major bugs are campaign related, which was not available for the beta test (just skirmish maps), so that's part of the reason.

Not all of them. The most damning bug of all that I've run across, the fact that the game won't close down properly when exiting (it might not be the "worst" bug in terms of how much it impacts ones gameplay experience, but it's one of the basic things that you basically need to get right) was not present in the beta, and is not campaign related.

I'm going to put the game on hold for a while. Got Fantasy General from GOG to keep me occupied. I know that it was relatively poorly received at launch, and it's not as good as Panzer General, but I'm quite enjoying it (and the soundtrack is really good)

Not all of them. The most damning bug of all that I've run across, the fact that the game won't close down properly when exiting (it might not be the "worst" bug in terms of how much it impacts ones gameplay experience, but it's one of the basic things that you basically need to get right) was not present in the beta, and is not campaign related.
That's "worst" for you? Wow, talk about different minds. To me that would be the very least of the bugs, hell I wouldn't even notice it.

Anything that UBI touches turns into a soulless cash grab...

Just remember Might & Magic Legacy X

used a well-known name
make cash
stop updates
abandon the project

Back
Top Bottom