Alrik's GamesCom snippets

No, I don't. :) Honestly. :)

The person who explained everything to me even switched the display by marking that option in the "graphics options" menu. :)

It looked odd without glasses, though, and I didn't have any, so I can't tell much more about it.

But it is there. :) I have seen it. :)

Thanks for that Alrik. I absolutely love 3d movies when done right. Beowulf is a good example. Not much of a movie in it's own right, but with those arrows wizzing by my head it made it so much better.

I saw Ice Age 3 in 3d and I might as well have just watched the movie in "normal D" :) Wasn't that good.

Thanks for the links guys. I never even would of guessed there have been any 3D games made for the computer. Going to check those out right now.

One thing though. Kings Bounty is a pure strategy game. I would of thought that pure 3D would of been better in a FPS. Well, we'll just have to wait and see. This game just made it to my "must by and see what the hell they did" list.

@skavenhorde:
If you still have one of these glasses usedfor those movies, there are several pictures in the net using the red-cyan technique, for example I found this "very" 3d-ish.

The theory is explained here and I should have called my red-blue glasses "Paper anaglyph filters" instead to sound more nerdy. They look exactly as shown on that page.

Anyway, according to that page, for comic books the 3d-trend is over since the fifties, so you have missed the great time of this....

I watched the Live Demo of TOR on Wed and was really impressed because they finally added things I always missed in MMO games (hence me not playing any ;) ). I actually asked myself "Where's the MMO part - it just looks like Kotor 3". :D
Really loved the show room: Great design, AmbiLight[tm]-esque illumination and world-shaking subwoofers.
But I totally missed that we could actually play the game for ourselves. :( Those laptops always showed the webpage and I thought "community stuff". Maybe I get a chance tomorrow.

Dragon Age looks good from what I saw (didn't play because I didn't want to be spoiled at all) but the graphics didn't impress me much (not bad, but not outstanding either). Of course, that's hardly the main concern in an RPG, heh.

ME2 seems to start where ME1 ended: just fun to play (but preferably on PC, I need my mouse and keyboard - that xbox controller just wasn't made for me :D). I also got a cool T-Shirt. Yay... :)

Someone had left several copies of a developing magazine called "develop" on some shelves near the entrance. http://www.develop-online.net/

I found this a good idea, because this morning I too the time to read halfway through it meanwhile I had my breakfast.

It was imho quite a nice read. A few snippets standing out for me:

- there was a several pages long article on development studios in Scotland (yes, the mag is UK-based)

- there was a report of kind of a festival (?) of the magazine, where prizes were given away. Huge winner: the makers of Little Big Planet (5 prizes: Best New IP, Technical Innovation, Visual Arts, Best New Studio, Best Independent Developer).

Other prizes: Lifetime achievement: Jacqui Lyons. Development legend: Phil Harrision. Grand Prix: Codemasters. Best Use Of A License: Traveller's Tales [Lego Batman], Publishing Hero: Apple, Audio Accomplishment: Fable II, Best Engine: Unreal Engine 3, Recruitment Company: Amquis, Best Tools Provider: Autodesk, Services: Audiomotion, Creative Outsourcing: Side & Sidelines, Best In-House Team: Rockstar North, Best Handheld Games Studio: Rockstar Leeds, Business Development: Playfish.

- there's an interview on the Trinigy's Vision Engine, which is "the first engine to get a pre-backed Havok Physics integration"

- a short look at 4 audio engines (WWISE, FMOD, CRI VIBE 2.0, OPENAL)

- two "comment" articles: 1. "Will family-friendly controllers cripple the console giants ?" - with a look at the arcade market in the 90s. Owain Bennallack muses about
"New control methods let the industry revisit games or genres without an awkward messing about inventing gameplay."
And:
"The more console manufacturers try to please everyone, the bigger the risk of satisfying no-one ..."
This latter quote managed to get to the first non-ad page after the index of contents at the beginning of the magazine. He also wires, which I found imho interesting:

"But there's a contrary take on what even the BBC is describing as 'The Controller Wars' : what if, rather than innovation, the controllers hint at desperation ? What if the focus on controllers signifies not games going forward, but games being relegated to the level of sideshow amusements ?"

I'm actually glad that there is another person who sees the lack of innovation in the games industry, too. To me, this just supports my my theory of catering the mass market leading to some kind of monotomy and lack of innovation. In this kind of interpretation by me, this "controller thing" is just another facet of it.

- as a sidenote, there's a small outlooking article on the GDC Europe. Among other "sessions" there is one striking at me:

"Designing women". Speakers: Margaret Wallace (Co-founder and CEO, Rebel Monkey, Inc.), Tracy Fullerton (Associate Professor, USC Interactive Media), Sheri Graner Ray (Senior Game Designer, Schell Games), Kellee Santiago (President and Co-Founder, thatgamecompany, LLC), Cynthia Woll (Founder and CEO, Cul de Sac Studios).

Take this to the designing team of Gothic 3 ...

This appears to be from the GDC Europe (and take a short look at that link too) :

http://mygdc.gdconf.com/vault/1337
http://mygdc.gdconf.com/vault/sort_by.php?type=3&cid=1337

Unfortunately the sessions from August aren't there (yet ?).

Edit: There is a bit there:

By Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24913

More:

http://journal.wheel-of-games.com/en/
Containing a summary of my personal favourite session: "Designing Women" :
http://journal.wheel-of-games.com/en/2009/08/designing-women/

This "Wheel of Games" is made by a support company called Two Pi Team, which has been working for dtp recently (Drakensang, Larian for a very short time).
I had applied there for a job a few months ago, but alas they didn't have any project they could use me for.

Inflatable "Protection Against Evil" (handed out at the GamesCom) :

Attachments

• DragonAge_ProtectionAgainstEvil_GamesCom2009_Front_Small.jpg
    DragonAge_ProtectionAgainstEvil_GamesCom2009_Front_Small.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom