KoA: Reckoning - Demo Available, Steam Preorders Open

Darn. I got the demo on origin.
I installed Origin just to download it...who knows what EA spyware it installed :mad:

The game feels lot like Fable , and very consoleish ...

But I feel we have real good title on our hands.

Real good combat , good story, complex character creation , random loot , crafting.

Only question is how many gameplay hours ?

Such game is real dependant on amount of content...

Only question is how many gameplay hours ?…

Well, one of the very skillfull testers have managed to make 100 % walkthrough in about 200 hrs. It means all quests, all location etc. He was skipping all conversation. Plus he already played the game several times before this "quick" run. I assume to play 100 hrs in this game is a no problem, if you are into exploring and side-quest too. I have heard that the main story should be around 50 hrs, but I am not sure if this information is correct.

Even Dhruin aproves - then it's release day buy :D

Don't take my post as a glowing endorsement!

I liked it enough but it definitely isn't for the hardcore or those looking for realism, complex quests or great dialogue (well...unless the real game is better than the demo). Again, think Fable with better combat, proper but basic dialogue, bigger areas and crafting.

I think it could be a nice change of pace but buyer beware!

I would like to be able to stop the motion blurring when you move your camera around, did someone find a option to disable this?

It also made me feel very much like DA2 in gameplay and graphics, although it's definitely more real direct action rather than turn based under the hood. Will buy it when it goes on sale in a couple of months.

.... I think it could be a nice change of pace but buyer beware!

Don't be afraid, I am not going to buy it because of you. I was joking :), I am kinda decided to buy the game for more than year. I will try the demo tonight and then decide.
Sometimes I like not-so-realistic RPG with actiony combat and exploring and crafting and... Just looks like a fun game for me ;)

Please stop comparing this game to Fable since that is an insult. Does the game boil down most npc interaction to farting and dancing around; probably not. Saying the game is like Fable is like calling it shit and no game deserves that unless it is.

PS. I haven't played the demo yet and I'm not sure if I will since you can never trust demo's.

Well, one of the very skillfull testers have managed to make 100 % walkthrough in about 200 hrs. It means all quests, all location etc. He was skipping all conversation. Plus he already played the game several times before this "quick" run. I assume to play 100 hrs in this game is a no problem, if you are into exploring and side-quest too. I have heard that the main story should be around 50 hrs, but I am not sure if this information is correct.

Awesome.

Sure buy for me than.

Again.
Its change of pace from Skyrim.
Not all games should be realism simulation.
But do not forget that KOA game designer is the guy that made Morrowind.

I've just had a blast through the demo and... I enjoy it :).

Pros:
+ Combat system;
+ Enviroment;
+ Crafting system (Alchemy is useful, you can find the right ingredients right from the start if you're careful, and don't need to eat them: if you want to know the effects of an unknown potion, just drink it xD);
+ No "arrow on my knee" NPCs dialogues, they just talk with you if you talk to them;
+ Nice graphics (actually I think it's more beautiful than Skyrim, it's more cartoonish but it has style imho);
+ Destinies system (I really like the Finesse tree espcially).

Cons:
- Quest markers (quest descriptions, these unknown...; of course it's not the only one to have this flaw);
- Absolutely free fast travel (c'mon guys, you could have taken inspiration from Gothic, Morrowind or even Two Worlds for this!);
- Quest writing (from what I've seen, it's just standard: I hope it gets better; I'm not expecting Torment of course);
- Compulsive Diablo style loot (I can live with it, but I could appreciate something different much more);
- You can go stealth in plain sight or sheathe weapon and no guard warns you to not do so: it seems like the Gothic days are forever gone...

Anyway, when demo finished I wanted to play more :D I still don't know if I buy it on release day.
Btw, on play.com they're selling it for 40 € with the weapons pack if you're interested ;).

Not tried swimming outside the well of souls as I just escaped it; will try later. I will also try this friendly killing mode - I must have missed the pop-up!

Definitely confirmed for the final build - all NPCs (except for some main quest NPCs pre-completing their allocated quests) can be killed, some respawn I think.. but I'm not sure.

You can be a total bastard and go on a rampage (with towns kitted out with pitchforks and burning pikes no-doubt).. good times. :)

I liked it enough but it definitely isn't for the hardcore or those looking for realism, complex quests or great dialogue (well…unless the real game is better than the demo). Again, think Fable with better combat, proper but basic dialogue, bigger areas and crafting.

I think it could be a nice change of pace but buyer beware!

I thought the dialogue was great (apart from when it skipped due to some bastardised audio bug..) - lots of depth for lore-heads, and the voice work seemed as good as most rpgs.. there's certainly a TON of it. The only nit-pics I have are comprised of:

1. Lack of emotion shown in faces during speech
2. Persuasion/Speech wheel felt a bit clunky at times (hopefully some of this could be fixed with a day one update, not likely on the speech emotion front however haha)..

Am I the only one that gets a black screen when starting the game?

Am I the only one that gets a black screen when starting the game?

There's a known bug with post-processing and ATI/AMD cards. You can solve it either by forcing AA through the control panel (I guess overriding PP) - or disabling postprocessing if you can access the main menu.

Last edited:
There's a known bug with post-processing and ATI/AMD cards. You can solve it either by forcing AA through the control panel (I guess overriding PP) - or disabling postprocessing if you can access the main menu.

Will they patch it for release ?

but full of nested menus that could have been oh-so-much better using a real PC design.

There is keyboard shortcuts for the Inventory and the rest. Drag and drop works (at least for moving stuff to junk, didn't try to equip stuff that way). It also support right clicking (delete and I don't remember the other entry in it). Single click and double click work as well for different operations. The only thing that could be better is selecting the primary/secondary weapons.

It also have an hotbar for abilities and a consumables shortcut system, Use tab when in game to access, than mouse to select what you want to use. I randomly found out how to put things in it though...No manual make it hard to guess how things works though.

I would like to be able to stop the motion blurring when you move your camera around, did someone find a option to disable this?

Motion blurring? I didn't saw any when I played.

Cons:
- Quest markers (quest descriptions, these unknown…; of course it's not the only one to have this flaw);

Quest markers can be disabled in the option menu

Will they patch it for release ?

The AMD/ATI black screen bug is already fixed in the build they have right now. The demo build was branched off the main game a few months back.

from a KOA forum sticky:

If you're playing the Reckoning demo on the PC and are experiencing a black screen after the cinematics play, please try going into your graphic options menu in the demo and set "Post Processing" to off. We apologize for this issue; it has since been fixed in the final version of Reckoning.

Last edited:
thX, that worked.
I'm not impressed though. no buy.

Back
Top Bottom