PC Gaming Myths @ ExtremeTech

Sales figure comparisons between Madden and just about anything else aren't valid. Why? Because EA pays a licensing fee for the NFL that I think can only be described as "astronomical". That fee has been estimated between $300 and $500 Million for five years. What's the development budget for a game like Bioshock? $10 Million maybe? $20 Million?

Well as examples I doubt well ever see real simulators(not arcade shooters with outside views), RTS or grand strategy games in consoles. Basicly all games with joystick/lots of controls/extended mouse UI are excluded.

I doubt that some types of games that appear on PC will ever see a console equivalent, but there are plenty of RTS and strategy games released on console. Some would say they control like crap, but I've seen reviewers say that it works. I don't know, but if you're creative with your UI design, a lot is possible.

As for pc it has gamepads (and console emulators even) so there are no limitations. Even those console games that are not released for pc can be played through emulator sooner or later.

I'd like to see you emulate Xbox 360 or PS3... or even Xbox. There's no stable PS2 or Xbox emulator as far as I know. But this misses the point. When I want to play on my Xbox 360, I switch it on with my gamepad from my couch and go through my Xbox 360 dashboard interface on my 37" widescreen LCD screen to start whatever game, demo, video, mp3, and it works, easy and fast. It's a whole different ballpark.

I'd like to see you emulate Xbox 360 or PS3... or even Xbox. There's no stable PS2 or Xbox emulator as far as I know.

Just a matter of time. Pretty much every console has them sooner or later. Allthough most of the better xbox games are released on PC anyways so I dont see the need. PS3 is way too new for emulation.

But this misses the point. When I want to play on my Xbox 360, I switch it on with my gamepad from my couch and go through my Xbox 360 dashboard interface on my 37" widescreen LCD screen to start whatever game, demo, video, mp3, and it works, easy and fast. It's a whole different ballpark.

I have 32" widescreen LCD TV as my computer monitor. I also have sofa next to it. And I can control everyting from sofa with wireless mouse (from browsing the net to playing videos/music/games) and play games too with gamepad (i.e chrono cross on psx emulator). And I can do must of it simultaniously i.e play cc in window and browse net for clues.

Last edited:
What is the argument you are making here? That since you have a PC near a couch, the extremely overwhelmingly common tendency for PC's to be on desks in office-type areas and for consoles to be positioned in living rooms is invalid?

What is the argument you are making here? That since you have a PC near a couch, the extremely overwhelmingly common tendency for PC's to be on desks in office-type areas and for consoles to be positioned in living rooms is invalid?

Its pretty clear imho. Its a myth that only console games can be played from couch using big screens. There is no law that says you cant put couch next to PC and use TV as (possibly secondary) screen. Ive done it for som six years now.

I know plenty of people who have PCs in their living room. I.E playing wow from couch using wireless and big screens.

PS3 is way too new for emulation.

And vastly more difficult to emulate on PC because of the unique hardware in the PS3. To top that off, the PS3 hardware specs are probably a closely-held secret at Sony's because it's ont of their flag-ship technologies. By the time usable emulation software is available on the PC, PS3 will largely be irrelevant and people will be excited about the upcoming PS5 launch.

Even Microsoft's and Sony's own emulation of the Xbox and PS2 respectively isn't 100% and always stable...

Its pretty clear imho. Its a myth that only console games can be played from couch using big screens.

I'm not sure if anybody claimed that in this thread. It certainly wasn't my intention. In fact, I've thought of hooking my PC up to my 37" LCD TV. However, the argument still is that the consoles handle easier from a livingroom couch, as they've been designed for it from the ground up. From start-up time to user interface, to the new specialized and integrated online components most consoles offer nowadays (Xbox Live, PS Online, etc.) from a generalized auto-patching system, friend list, game invites, gamer score/achievements, web integration, demo/video/movie downloads and purchases, control with a remote, etc. it can't be denied it's been more optimized for the livingroom and has added value over what the PC currently offers.

It stands without saying that, technically, all that is possible on PC, but less convenient and not marketed to the PC. But that is still beside the point.

P.S. I can't begin to think about what kind of horsepower would be needed to emulate PS3 of Xbox 360 on PC... yikes.

Last edited:
However, the argument still is that the consoles handle easier from a livingroom couch, as they've been designed for it from the ground up. From start-up time to user interface, from a generalized auto-patching system, friend list, game invites, gamer score/achievements, web integration, demo/video/movie downloads and purchases, control with a remote, etc.

Steam has much of that. Auto-patching, purchacing, friend lists, communities, voice-chat, demo downloads etc. They are pretty much making it all easily accessibly.

Remote control is possible too.

P.S. I can't begin to think about what kind of horsepower would be needed to emulate PS3 of Xbox 360 on PC... yikes.

More than there is available today (emulators are quite unefficient) but PCs develop fast.

So basicly its all possible on pc. I guess the biggest difference is that that you need to build it up yourself. It doesnt all come in one box. But of course som people prefer it that way (and som dont).

Last edited:
That's right, the biggest plus of a console is that it's an easy package. You buy it for cheap, connect it and you're ready to go. They can also be great as a media extender in case you don't have that PC in the livingroom.

But you go with what you like. I see merit in both systems. I'm not sure if I'd want to sit on my couch with a keyboard/mouse, but I'm willing to try that out sometime. That way having every game designed for the same gamepad and platform can be a positive if you like it that way!

Which brings up headsets, any wireless solutions for that on PC? (Probably!)

But you go with what you like. I see merit in both systems. I'm not sure if I'd want to sit on my couch with a keyboard/mouse, but I'm willing to try that out sometime. That way having every game designed for the same gamepad and platform can be a positive if you like it that way!

You dont have to sit on the couch with keyboard/mouse (why would you do that?) ! All you need is a gamepad/wireless mouse and use the latter one like remote. Couch is meant for gamepad games only - not keyboard ones.

Talking of remotes I came up with this Wii-type remote controller for PC:

Logitech MX Air Rechargeable Cordless Mouse

Ever want to use your computer mouse like a Wii controller? Instead of playing a boxing or tennis game like you would on Nintendo's console, the Logitech MX Air lets you sit back in a chair and command a computer with movements through the air. This sure beats hunching over to reach for a standard mouse or searching for a flat surface in the living room. On top of its capabilities for flight, the MX Air is also an adequate "grounded" mouse on your mouse pad. It boasts a laser sensor, sleek ambidextrous shape, and eight buttons.

The mouse was designed to resemble a living room device and not a computer peripheral. In the air, its contoured shape enables users to hold it like a remote control

Without a doubt, no other media center mouse is a better fit in the living room than Logitech's MX Air. It will complement other living room devices—not stick out like a sore thumb.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2157600,00.asp

Its pretty neat looking. Perfect for living room! Would be fun to try it out on som sports games that I usually dislike.

Which brings up headsets, any wireless solutions for that on PC?

Wireless headsets? Of course there are. Allthough I prefer ones with wires. The sound quality is still noticeably better in them.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you'd need long cords! Anyway, someone mentioned PC gaming from the couch. You'd have to use a wireless keyboard for that, I assume?

You dont need keyboard to play music/video/games or browse net on PC.

As for consoles one thing im unhappy about them is the noise they make (dvd/coolers). Its totally unacceptable for living room conditions. My pc is very silent.

I used to attend Comdex every year and was amazed at the number and variety of peripheral products people dreamed up for the PC. Peripherals is a brutal business, though. Very few companies offering those products seem to survive.

I'll have to agree on the noise my Xbox 360 makes, well at least when playing a game. But somehow I was never very bothered by PC/console noise if it's not too extreme.

As for not needing a keyboard... I've played PC games designed for keyboard/mouse and no gamepad support with a gamepad, but it's not exactly ideal. So a wireless keybaord would probably work better in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom