Length vs Experience

D

DArtagnan

What's more important to you?

A long and entertaining game (as in both average and occasionally great), or a shorter truly fantastic game?

I know this varies from game to game - but it's just to get the train started.

Like, if you play an MMO for hundreds, or even thousands of hours - is that actually a better experience than a 20 hour strong game?

Does it matter to you whether a game actually ends and represents a thorough experience, with a satisfying conclusion so you can call it a day - or is it enough to be entertained for a long time, with the end being almost trivial?

A no-brainer for me. I strongly prefer quality experience over length, and I think it's unfortunate that so many devs seem to be striving more for the latter in modern crpgs.

Can't compare the MMO experience because I've never really played one, but I'd much rather play a fantastic 30-50 hour crpg than a 100 hour crpg that is simply "good".

Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a game that is both fantastic and lengthy. Strangely enough, I'm having that experience with FO3 right now.

A no-brainer for me. I strongly prefer quality experience over length, and I think it's unfortunate that so many devs seem to be striving more for the latter in modern crpgs.

Can't compare the MMO experience because I've never really played one, but I'd much rather play a fantastic 30-50 hour crpg than a 100 hour crpg that is simply "good".

Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a game that is both fantastic and lengthy. Strangely enough, I'm having that experience with FO3 right now.

Let's see how long we last before we start bickering this time ;)

How about a 5 hour fantastic game vs a 40 hour good game?

I find that MMOs, to me, are mostly a waste of time - because I personally crave a conclusion or an attainable goal that will actually last. I have no idea why I keep trying new ones - because I don't see it changing no matter what.

Coincidentally, I'm having much the same experience as you with FO3 (and mods) at the moment. I don't have much time (new GF) - and I lament having to take extended breaks until I get a day with enough free time to get me immersed, because it's a truly fantastic game for exploration - which I happen to adore as a feature.

Last edited:
I rather play Modern Warfare 2 or Splinter Cell Convict than I play Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods or Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. I say that in hintersight because it's difficult to estimate just how awful an experience is going to be before I decide to go through with it.

There are experiences you can't get in 5 hours though. When you play a game like Final Fantasy for 2 weeks straight and you are done, it's like you are saying goodbye to old friends and you do not want to let go. But this is the result of a length + experience.

I rather play Modern Warfare 2 or Splinter Cell Convict than I play Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods or Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. I say that in hintersight because it's difficult to estimate just how awful an experience is going to be before I decide to go through with it.

There are experiences you can't get in 5 hours though. When you play a game like Final Fantasy for 2 weeks straight and you are done, it's like you are saying goodbye to old friends and you do not want to let go. But this is the result of a length + experience.

I get that, and I agree.

How about a 5 hour MW2 campaign vs a mostly bland and uninspired Arcania run-through - based on hindsight knowledge of those games?

You managed to get a GF? :smartass:

I don't know if a truly fantastic game is possible in only 5 hours, unless we start talking about different genres. I can definitely list games of similar length that I considered fantastic, but none of them were crpgs.

You managed to get a GF? :smartass:

Miracles happen ;)

I don't know if a truly fantastic game is possible in only 5 hours, unless we start talking about different genres. I can definitely list games of similar length that I considered fantastic, but none of them were crpgs.

Yeah, that's what I'm sorta getting at.

I don't seem to recall a 5 hour game that was really fantastic. Portal was very cute, and I'm glad to have played it - but it's nothing against even just a decent CRPG.

I guess I need a certain length of time to get what I really want from a game, and yet some genres do OK as short games.

But even as a shooter, I'd prefer a game like MW2 to be longer - even if it means stretching the content a bit.

Then again, I'm not a big singleplayer shooter fan - unless they're about exploration - and MW2 certainly isn't.

I don't know.

Sometimes I prefer the first one, sometimes the last one. But quality always has a plus for me.

a mostly bland and uninspired Arcania run-through - based on hindsight knowledge of those games?

Can't tell since I am not past Arcania yet.

I mentioned Splinter Cell Convict and Modern Warfare 2 since they aren't just short, they are also very emotionally intensive with plenty of scenes that stick to your retina and emotions you might remember afterwards. There are games that are both short and forgetable. I can barely remember Blacksite: Area 51 or TUROK.

Can't tell since I am not past Arcania yet.

I mentioned Splinter Cell Convict and Modern Warfare 2 since they aren't just short, they are also very emotionally intensive with plenty of scenes that stick to your retina and emotions you might remember afterwards. There are games that are both short and forgetable. I can barely remember Blacksite: Area 51 or TUROK.

Yeah, this is where it turns very subjective.

Truth be told, I haven't actually completed MW2 - and I've only played through a couple of the Call of Duty games.

I played 2-3 levels of MW1 - and that kind of experience just doesn't hold up for me. Too much spectacle and not enough variety. I need time to breathe.

That said, I actually found Crysis and Crysis: Warhead very powerful experiences. Probably mostly because they looked spectacular and were quite adrenaline driven for me. But also because there were "quiet" moments and SOME exploration and non-linear aspects.

But even so, I'd still prefer a decent CRPG to that kind of game. Guess I'm just not that big a shooter fan when it all comes down to it. They're great while they last - but I forget almost everything about them the second I'm through.

I prefer long games over quality ones , i am not at all interested to try DLCs / mods in short games .
I have the feeling that all "short quality games" are story driven or present a very small world , both attributes are unattractive to me .

You don't need to play all the way through Arcania to reach the conclusion that it's mostly garbage.

Regarding great games that could be completed in around 5 hours, I certainly can't recall many, but Resident Evil comes to mind. Super Metroid on the SNES was another one for me.

When I think about it, I guess I can't name any truly great (to me) PC games that were that short. Half-Life was close, but that probably still took at least 6-7 hours at best.

When I think about it, I guess I can't name any truly great (to me) PC games that were that short. Half-Life was close, but that probably still took at least 6-7 hours at best.

The first one?

Strange - I seem to recall it being quite a long shooter.

Call of Duty and Medal of Honor have always been about chaotic action. Splinter Cell Convict is a smoother experience considering it's about stealth and tactics, even if it's faster. What they have in common is that every area you pass are well thought out and highly detailed so every corner you pass are likely to offer something new. So you get 5 hours of continued new experiences, kinda like watching two-three movies in a row. If you watch three movies that are all bad, you didn't invest more than an afternoon though.

Long games require a stronger investment and they usually allow you to be creative. The fact that I did get through Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods last summer and Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in January show that once I am free I can play a lengthy title that I know is horrible. Still, trying a mage in Forsaken Gods and build a party in PoR:RoMD was fun in it's own. But I have questioned why I invest so much time in terrible games when I could have played The Witcher or Drakensang which I still haven't played.

Call of Duty and Medal of Honor have always been about chaotic action. Splinter Cell Convict is a smoother experience considering it's about stealth and tactics, even if it's faster. What they have in common is that every area you pass are well thought out and highly detailed so every corner you pass are likely to offer something new. So you get 5 hours of continued new experiences, kinda like watching two-three movies in a row. If you watch three movies that are all bad, you didn't invest more than an afternoon though.

Yeah, I agree that those games handle content in that very condensed and intense way. It's just that I don't deal with that particularly well. I get saturated and full very quickly, because I crave variety in the design itself and not just the content.

Long games require a stronger investment and they usually allow you to be creative. The fact that I did get through Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods last summer and Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in January show that once I am free I can play a lengthy title that I know is horrible. Still, trying a mage in Forsaken Gods and build a party in PoR:RoMD was fun in it's own. But I have questioned why I invest so much time in terrible games when I could have played The Witcher or Drakensang which I still haven't played.

You're probably just a completionist ;)

The first one?

Strange - I seem to recall it being quite a long shooter.

It's been at least 5-6 years since the last time I played it, so my memory is a little sketchy regarding its length. Upon further thought, that estimate was probably a bit short.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 would have been a much better example actually.

It's been at least 5-6 years since the last time I played it, so my memory is a little sketchy regarding its length. Upon further thought, that estimate was probably a bit short.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 would have been a much better example actually.

But would you have considered Episode 2 truly great - if Half Life 2 didn't exist?

But would you have considered Episode 2 truly great - if Half Life 2 didn't exist?

Impossible to say since Episode 2 would not exist had HL2 never been made. I thought Episode 2 was on the same level, experience-wise, as HL2 though.

The entire Half-Life series has been truly fantastic for me, and I can't say that about many modern first-person shooters. Crysis and F.E.A.R.(1) are the only ones I can think of off-hand that even come close.

Now if Valve would only finish Episode 3....

Impossible to say since Episode 2 would not exist had HL2 never been made. I thought Episode 2 was on the same level, experience-wise, as HL2 though.

Nah, I know - it was more of a thought experiment.

That's a very difficult question that is difficult for me to answer. First of all, I think there's a difference between "Length Vs. Experience" and "Length Vs. Quality". It may sound like a silly difference, but I think length can often be part of the "experience" but a game doesn't have to be long to have quality in it. I often have difficulty getting involved in very short games, while the sense of "adventure" is a lot easier to achieve in longer, more epic games. Gothic II certainly wouldn't have been the same for me if it only lasted 10 hours.

Now, as for short games I always have mixed feelings. Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough money to spend my cash on 5 hour games, but on the other hand there should be no problem if the quality is high enough. JDR13 mentioned a great "short" game, Super Metroid. I believe Super Metroid lasts about 5-6 hours, but the quality is extremely high, plus it's a HIGHLY replayable game. I can pick up that game any time of the day and enjoy it all the way through again, because of its vast amount of secrets and its nonlinear exploration. A game like MW lasts only 5 hours, and that's it. Replaying the game will result in the exact same game (and one that is rather snore-inducing if you ask me), so you could say that Super Metroid is in theory a MUCH longer game than MW, even though they take about as much time to play through your first time.

Another example is the recent Read Dead Redemption. A friend of mine played it for 30 hours, I played it for about 18 hours, so it's definitely a game of considerable size. I didn't really enjoy it to be honest (even though I was kind of excited about it since I imagined it would be quite different from GTAIV, which turned out to be false), and I can't imagine going through the game again now. The game seemed to drag on and on. It threw you from one linear mission to the other, and you constantly wasted time by either getting to the start of a mission or by riding to mission objectives. Perhaps the game would have been better if it was at the 8-10 hours mark? I don't know.

So yeah, I have mixed feeling on the issue. I can't deny that I often look down upon very short games. I just love to get involved in games, I love to sit on my couch or on my desk chair knowing that I've got this nice, big adventure waiting for me. Knowing that I can play a game for a long time at my own pace without fear of rushing it gives me that homely, comfortable feeling that I really like when playing games.

I think there is no real answer to the question, it all depends on the individual game and what the developers are trying to achieve with the specific game.

Back
Top Bottom