Last game you finished, tell us about it

Agree with most of that, except I don't think the VO is bad. I found it quite good, though the dialogue was implausible at times given the circumstances. As in, the writing didn't support the extreme situation the protagonist found himself in, at least not to my satisfaction.

I thought it was pretty bad. Emotionally, It didn't fit with what was going on at times. It wasn't just that the dialogue was implausible, it also wasn't delivered in a convincing manner.

Surprised you didn't mention the creatures, though.

The creature design was great. Very unique but with a lot of variety, especially towards the end of the game.

You liked that implementation of hide-and-seek?

Not particularly, no. It worked well enough, but it was a step backwards from other games in the genre like Outlast and Alien Isolation.

I thought it was pretty bad. Emotionally, It didn't fit with what was going on at times. It wasn't just that the dialogue was implausible, it also wasn't delivered in a convincing manner.

I thought the dialogue was sometimes so inappropriately matter-of-factly that I didn't really see a way of delivering it convincingly.

Since I think most of the other dialogue was very well delivered, I have to assign the blame to the writers - not the voice actors.

But we don't have to agree ;)

The creature design was great. Very unique but with a lot of variety.

Not particularly, no. It worked well enough, but it was a step backwards from other games in the genre like Outlast and Alien Isolation.

Thanks for clarifying and I agree :)

SOMA
It's definitely worth playing if you're a fan of the genre...
But is it worth buying for others who don't care for the genre?
Is it like FC3 was for shooter haters, is it like Dishonored was for nonRPG haters?

Does it bring something fresh to the table or just polished what others already had in the genre (like WoW)?

Rome Total War has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. I'm sitting here looking at a Metacritic score that has both user and critic rating it over 9.0, but the vanilla game I'm playing... it's not even 5.0. Really dumbfounded. Apparently "mods save it", but really, no really, this game is such utter rubbish, absolute bilge of the worst order.

Firstly, its economics are impossible to manage. Quite literally impossible. There is zero human input in the outcome of a turn-end profit-line. The amount of money a town can make per turn is calculated by 'magic'. One turn your city can produce 3500, the next turn its down to 2800. But nothing the player has done has changed. Apparently a port got blocked by rebels on the other side of the map you don't even know exists and now your trade is halved, or whatever. A hostile unit stood on a road 1,000 miles away, you lose 200 per turn!

On top of this, city happiness is equally random. One turn your city is 145% happy (LOL, they don't even know the laws of percentages) and providing Very High Taxation, the next turn, for no apparent reason known to man, not even a hint at what the problem was, they are 85% happy on Very Low Taxation. The manual says producing a new unit in a town can make people happier (heaven knows, I've built every single community and happy building), but, no, no effect whatsoever, and sometimes even makes people even more unhappy.

On top of this, cities refuse to stop growing in size. The player has absolutely no input whatsoever into how quickly city grows. The only way to reduce population is to let riot, allowing you to reconquer the city and press the "exterminate" button (which will buy you about 20 turns before the city is full to bursting again). Why would one even want to reduce population? Because once a city gets so big it is literally impossible to keep happy bar being governed by your best General and 200 soldiers. You know, those guy you kind-of want out in the field stopping the enemies from stepping on roads 1,000 miles away.

On top of this, should you let your city go to riot so you can kill everyone and reset the happiness algorithm, the resulting rebels that appear bare no relation whatsoever to the city that has been rioting. Somehow or other these rioter have amassed fully armoured and blacksmithed clothes and weaponry, all got themselves promotions in the field, and achieved this for all of their 200 soldiers, peasants included. It would be the metaphorical equivalent of all members of ISIS suddenly wearing full kevlar, driving tanks and flying Stealth bombers.

On top of this, Rebel armies spawn on the map for absolutely no apparent reason, like weeds in the garden. You'd just love to go out and do away with those 3 random units from nowhere, but the second you move a unit out of your city, oh dear, mass unhappiness. I guess you could always recall that one army you actually managed to send towards an enemy city... no, you can't, because that magical AI empire has just sent its umpteenth stack of 200 soldiers towards one of your cities. Because that's all the AI is, just a big unit production system, that most likely (conjecture) doesn't have to put up with the same kind of crap you do.

Oh, and did you forget? You're supposed to be claiming provinces for the Roman Republic, that was, I believe the general point of the game, no? Well, good luck moving an inch without losing half your troops as your stack slugs, really slugs, it's way through endless reams of trash units, each of which takes 5 soldiers away from each unit, no matter how carefully you annihilate them. Oh, and, of course, the AI knows exactly how many troops your sending to point X, because, for that big battle, it'll have that tiny advantage that leaves you, oh so ever-so-slightly short of units required to do the job.

On top of this, you're supposed to find some money to build some buildings, in order that you can earn more money, to buy better money making buildings and better happiness buildings and... oh yeah, forgot about that, those buildings that allow me to have as good weapons as those street rioters. Oh, and don't build any city walls, it'll just be you who has to march through them as soon as your city revolts or that enemy stack arrives while your busy with rioters and rebels a few provinces away.

I can imagine a sucker for this game reading this and coming up with a 1000 micro-power-gaming ruses to "get around" all these problems, I can imagine a sucker for this game preparing a list of 1,000 mod-this-out-the-game replies to all the issues, but I'm sitting here looking at a 9+ Metacritic from both user and critic, and what 9+ game "requires" extreme power-gaming or extreme modding, just to be enjoyably playable on even the most basic level? What planet are these players from?

At least in Civilisation the Barbarians stop appearing in zones you control. At least in Medieval Total War your cities can attain stable happiness and allow your units to traverse the lands. At least in practically every other game ever invented you can actually understand how and why the economy works to the point where you can predict what your end-of-turn profit is going to be.

Oh, and on top of all that, the Roman Senate sends you "missions" every 5 turns , trying to dictate exactly how you play and who you should be at war with.

So what's the title again? Total War? The game, as far as I can see, wanted to you to do absolutely everything except actually move a unit next to an enemy town. My God! the AI shrieks as you venture a stack out of your border, "what is he thinking!" *generate 3 new Rebel stacks, plunge 3 cities into anarchy, knacker the trade routes, send him a mission to attack his ally at penalty of 4 turns of extreme disfavour*

Oh, and before someone says "get gud", I was actually only about 10 provinces off victory in one game, but it was too boring and tedious and frustrating to bother finishing.

This was the second time I've tried the game, and the second time I've uninstalled it. This time it's going in the rubbish bin of real life, maybe someone at the recycling plant can put it to better use, like a toilet's flushing handle or something.

A rare 3/10 from me. Why give it 3 and not zero? I could imagine poeople who like to constantly restart games anyway would probably like the game, it's 'restart and attack a different faction this time' potential is quite varied and interesting...

But is it worth buying for others who don't care for the genre?
Is it like FC3 was for shooter haters, is it like Dishonored was for nonRPG haters?

Does it bring something fresh to the table or just polished what others already had in the genre (like WoW)?

It's worth it if you're in the mood for an interesting story with lots of atmosphere to go with it.

If you value gameplay significantly over story, skip it.

Long since due, I finally started playing and completed Shadowrun Returns. And what a brilliant game it was. Some balancing out the skills flaws and limited character creation but that's about all I would not consider great.
Story kept me interested constantly, wasn't infested with side quest and crap to track you off the story and create a fake amount of hours to play. And the writing, damn I loved the writing. The conversations were probably my favorite part of the whole game, so many ways to interact with npc's and so well written and brilliant humor.

I will defo jump into Dragonfall next.

(more cyberpunk love for me to embrace :smitten:)

@lackblogger, I think your experience is one in a million.

Are you talking about Rome or Rome 2 ?

I played Rome for hours on vanilla and only dabbled in mods after having played for tens of hours.

It's actually very easy to keep your cities happy as far as I remember, then your other points all stem from that. At least it was for me.

Maybe try playing on an easier difficulty.

If you value gameplay significantly over story, skip it.
Never in a million years.
If I did, I'd play those nostory cowclickers on facebook or candy crush saga.

@lackblogger, I think your experience is one in a million.

Are you talking about Rome or Rome 2 ?

I played Rome for hours on vanilla and only dabbled in mods after having played for tens of hours.

It's actually very easy to keep your cities happy as far as I remember, then your other points all stem from that. At least it was for me.

Maybe try playing on an easier difficulty.

I'm gonna have to stop you there... Turn-based strategy games are not supposed to be played for tens of hours. Heck, it took me tens of hours to find out how utterly impractical it was. TBS games are supposed to be 1000s of hours jobbies otherwise they're worthless. Also, the difficulty setting is irrelevant for the issues the game has, to which it's worst crime is sheer tedium, even when you are virtually steamrolling. I didn't even go into half the issues I had with the game (who the crap would read a post double the size of the one I posted...) and even just basic things like combat are pretty darn horrible. I could wall of text you about them if you like...?

Long since due, I finally started playing and completed Shadowrun Returns. And what a brilliant game it was. Some balancing out the skills flaws and limited character creation but that's about all I would not consider great.
Story kept me interested constantly, wasn't infested with side quest and crap to track you off the story and create a fake amount of hours to play. And the writing, damn I loved the writing. The conversations were probably my favorite part of the whole game, so many ways to interact with npc's and so well written and brilliant humor.

I will defo jump into Dragonfall next.

(more cyberpunk love for me to embrace :smitten:)

I'm actually playing through this for the first time myself and I have to agree with your comments. The writing, especially the dialogue are really top notch. The only problem I have is that it's a little TOO linear; I'd prefer some the areas to have a little more exploration or optional content. But it's really not that big of a deal.

I just finished the Universal Brotherhood mission last night, so I guess I'm about half way through or so?

I'm actually playing through this for the first time myself and I have to agree with your comments. The writing, especially the dialogue are really top notch. The only problem I have is that it's a little TOO linear; I'd prefer some the areas to have a little more exploration or optional content. But it's really not that big of a deal.

I just finished the Universal Brotherhood mission last night, so I guess I'm about half way through or so?

More than half way in fact. Sadly it's not a very long game, but that comes from the linear gameplay since you only have like 1 or 2 side quests from what I remember. Think I used around 13-15 hours? I'm a slow player as well :p Worth every minute of it though, compared to 5 hours of story and 40+ hours of pixel hunts and tedious tasks.

After finishing Dragon Age Origins a few weeks ago, I now also got around to wrapping up the 'Ultimate' part of the game.

I imported my elf mage into Awakening, then Golems of Amgarrak and finally The Witch Hunt (which is the only order you can play the DLCs and import a character from the main game so if anyone here who is reading this has not played the game yet keep that in mind!).

There was quite a lot of recycled assets/locations in these DLCs and I also believe they could have handled the imports a little better but overall it was decent fun and a nice extension of the main game.

The only thing that really annoyed me was being stuck with certain characters. For example, how you get Oghren forced upon you. I was soooooo happy when I could replace him with Kristoff/Justice.

Another thing that was odd was -if you would choose to not hire Nathaniel and there are good reasons why you would not, right?- then you'd be stuck w/o a rogue (until you meet Sigrun a few hours in) for much of the expansion, i.e. no lockpicking. WTF, BioWare?

Finally, I played the rather short standalone DLCs Darkspawn Chronicles and Leliana's Song in one sitting back to back last night. They were OK, too.

All in all I got 115 hours (Steam time) of entertainment out of Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition. It's not the best RPG ever or anything but I still thoroughly enjoyed it after having major difficulties to get into it when I tried it before.
It's a game where you have to persevere. It becomes a lot more fun once you acquire more and more spells and combat abilities. It's just the beginning that's very dull when you are stuck spamming the same two or three attacks/spells over and over for hours on end. And the high amount of combat does not help make it more fun in the early stages either.
Later on it's OK because then you can just nuke the fuck out of everything with double mage power :biggrin: .

Anyway, since I wanted to see if the import works correctly, I installed Dragon Age 2 right away. My first impression is: What the fuck have they done???
I can see myself getting used to the actiony gameplay but they have also stripped all of the charm of the fantasy-style interface, inventory etc. from the game.
Here's to hoping the (story/quest) content is better though the opening was WAY down there in quality. Is this supposed to be some new kind of running gag at BioWare? Because the opening of DAI (I played the free trial) was similarly abysmal. Is this intentional or have they fired everyone who can write better than a four year old? Sheesh...

I remember preferring Awakenings to Origins and the game is certainly better once you get rolling a bit. I never played any of the DLCs though, but it sounds like you had fun with them!

Good luck with 2...

Origins was awesome, and most of the extra content just enhanced it even more, but stay far away from that drek Dragon Age Two. One of the few games I've demanded a refund for, and I've never looked back.

Dragon Age 2 is not a bad game. It's just that, playing it after playing Dragon Age 1 feels like eating something very sour after eating something very sweet, your face will be fixed in disgust for weeks.
I played it years after I played DA1 so to me it was a fun game, with issues.

Well ... I liked both DA:O and DA2. Never looked into the third game, however, as it hasn't reached bargain bin status yet

In a vacuum, I'd say DA2 is a bit bland and highly repetitive. As the sequel to Origins - it's just a joke.

Combat can be stupid fun, though, if you can get past the parachuting enemies.

Finished The Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone. Took me about ~10 hours. I didn't do all the side quests nor did I explore the new areas completely (some monster nests, prisoners and bandits camps are still around). I focused on the storyline and I did some stuff to get access to the enchanter.

You can start the expansion with a pre-made level 32 characters if you don't want to replay everything and don't have a level 30 character around. I used a save from the web before learning about that, duh.

I liked the main quest, it's quite Faustian. There isn't a lot of fighting in it though (basically a few bosses, but few trashes), it's talk heavy with a few "Witcher sense puzzles". Not much new gear outside of the Ofiery (sp?) stuff and it's not that much better than the top witcher gear from the base game.

Also, Geralt looks good in glasses.

Back
Top Bottom