Pillars of Eternity - Massive Review Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Pillars of Eternity should be released in some time zones right now, and the review embargo had been lifted from obsidian. I will just link the sites with the scores.

1. PC Gamer - 92/100
  2. Eurogamer - No score
  3. Rock, Paper, Shotgun - No Score
  4. GameWatcher - 9.0/10
  5. Pixel Dynamo - 8.8/10
  6. Stevivor - 8.5/10
  7. MMORPG.com - 9/10
  8. Escapist Magazine - 5/5
  9. DealSpwn - 9/10
  10. Gamereactor - 8/10
  11. VideoGamer - No Score
  12. Den of Geek - 4.5/5
  13. PixelDynamo - 8.8/10
  14. GameCrate - 8/10
  15. PCGamesN - 10/10
We even have a thread in the forums with more reviews.

More information.

Last edited:
holy omfg

Now, someone tell me I'm crazy when I call this game a modern masterpiece! :lol:

May you have the luxury of being vindicated and proven right, Fluent. I rarely am. :D

Well wish me luck as I'm just now starting to play the game. I will be back this evening to do my daily news-posting, and post another one of my interviews.

Till then I will be in my man cave quietly enjoying this masterpiece.:shh:

all I can say right now is that Hard difficulty is... hard, and I LIKE IT!

Well RPS was pretty negative .

Are you talking about the John Walker review? Because I just read it and I'm not getting much of any negativity from it. Maybe a few minor criticisms, but mainly the review was overwhelmingly positive.

RPS essentially called the game unimaginative and stale which was complete opposite of eurogamer. That was my take of their review (the one linked in newsbit).

We have got to be talking about two different reviews then. The one I get to when I click on the Rock Paper Shotgun link in couchpotato's is by John Walker and it starts out like this:

Oh thank goodness. After 77,000 backers, $4 million raised and nearly three years in development, Obsidian’s Pillars Of Eternity [official site] is here, and it’s just stunning.

This is the RPG I’ve been craving since Planescape: Torment, the first to win my absolute love since Dragon Age: Origin. It’s a vast, deep and wonderfully written game, malleable to how you want to approach the genre, replete with companions, side-quests, an enormously involved combat system, and lasts a solid 60 hours. Here’s wot I think

The rest of the review pretty much reinforces this paragraph.

RPS review ends with this: "It’s a triumph. A wonderful, enormous and spellbinding RPG, gloriously created in the image of BioWare’s Infinity classics, but distinctly its own. A classic in every sense." Not that I care too much about gaming sites' reviews. However PoE actually made me excited to play a video game after quite some time. I'm about to start the game myself so happy gaming everybody.

To be fair, reading the Eurogamer review also came off a bit negative on the "stale" front - effectively sticking too close to the Infinity Engine (IE) template laid down with BG1. Yes, it's what backers signed on for, but I know I was rather hoping for IE on steroids, a bit like how Planescape Torment took IE/DnD and twisted it as far as it'd go!

Looking through the strat guide, I've not yet seen anything that particularly stands out to me (and I was rather disappoined by the limited number of exp levels/magic-levels... a little too DnD).

That said, it definitely hits the target of a new, modern IE game, but I suppose I was hoping for a game that would be as revolutionary/monumental as BG was when it came out.

Anyway, time to sit down and *play*, not moan on the forums!

Oh my lord please make my working hours fly by swiftly; today I can't get home soon enough!

sounds like I will buy this game then

I was almost thinking they couldn't pull it off with that kind of budget. Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun got mixed reviews. I haven't played W2 (I didn't even know it was out till December) but I like the first SR in spite of its small flaws (even tho I hate the idea of magic and elves in cypberpunk).

havent read any of them but it sounds like they got the combat sorted.

Well RPS was pretty negative but eurogamer was fairly positve.

RPS said:

It’s a triumph. A wonderful, enormous and spellbinding RPG, gloriously created in the image of BioWare’s Infinity classics, but distinctly its own. A classic in every sense.

That's not negative.

And still at 93 on Metacritic.

Where are the people who hates the game? It's impossible that they do not exist. I haven't seen a single review below 8/10...

Unless Numenera fulfills the 2015 promised release and I doubt it, looks like we could have already the GOTY!

Back
Top Bottom