Kotaku - Peter Molyneux Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Peter Molyneux was interviewed in a surprisingly good interview on Kotaku. They talk candidly about his career throughout the years. You might need a tissue though.

Peter Molyneux is crying. I'm not sure how to react to this. Legendary game designers don't often get emotional with the press. But here's Molyneux, who has made so many games and done so many interviews over the past two decades, openly weeping into my voice recorder.

We're talking about promises. Molyneux, who has helped design a string of hits including Fable, Dungeon Keeper, and Populous, is a fascinating paradox, known both for his formidable creative accomplishments and his tendency to make big, lofty claims that never quite deliver. Through 20 years as the face of three different companies, Molyneux has earned a reputation as something of a huckster, a big talker whose best skill is making headlines. When you type "peter molyneux" into Google, the first auto-fill result is "peter molyneux lies." His quotes, delivered regularly and with aplomb, are both brilliant and nutty.

So it's a little strange to see him cry in front of me.

"If I ask people to be interested in [my newest game] Godus, if there's one reason for them to be interested," he says, breaking into tears, "it's that I could not do anything that would not make my son proud."

Molyneux pauses. Sniffles. His voice is cracking. Part of me wants to give him a hug; another part of me wonders if he's just putting on a show.

"He's a gamer," Molyneux says, "and if I ever make a game where he turns around to me and says, 'You over-promised that,' it would just kill me."
More information.

stop making yourself cry by not making promises you cannot keep. this would be a long hard lesson a normal non narcissist learns in the early-mid 20s. its never too late to learn though.

If he's sad, that's sad - but that doesn't change the fact that he's always been in way over his head - and has never been able to deliver anything close to what he's been promising.

A con-man, whether intentionally so or not.

If there was any developer who I wouldn't be surprised to see burst into tears, it would be Molyneux. Mentioning your own family as the reason you're crying seems cheap, as if his son is a prop for his self-pity/regard.

What the article doesn't mention is that Molyneux also claimed that his tears can cure cancer, AIDS, and the Bubonic Plague.

That was a good interview :)

The worst liars are always those, who managed to lie to themselves first. He confused want with can.

I just read that job vacancy recommendation he sent at the bottom of the interview .For a person he didn't even know. What a great guy .
Yes he is a bullshiter .
I understand his logic though. If the team won't put a feature in the game he wants. He just tells everyone about the feature so the team is forced to put it in. Sadly I don't think it has ever worked.lol

Back
Top Bottom