|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Default Top 10 CRPGs of all time

July 23rd, 2014, 22:40
I wouldn't call it a lack of imagination so much as a tool for immersion. Part of being in the world is seeing how other characters react to actions and others and party banter can do that. They have their own motivations and desires and sometimes trying to bring opposites together has combustible results (much like real life).

greywolf00

Sentinel

July 23rd, 2014, 22:50
Indeed, but those 'characters' are going to be the exact same characters every single play-through, and you have no personal choice over those characters.

You're just playing what someone else thinks would make for entertaining interaction. If you personally can't stand the key characters your going to be travelling with it can put a huge downer on every other aspect of the game, even if the game is, otherwise, gorgeous.

The ability to have varied sexuality for the same characters is a good start, but it's kind of just a tip of the iceburg really, a kind of apologetic cosmetic compared to true variety, the characters will still be 'shifty carismatic thief' and 'heavens to goodness with a dark secret healer' etc.

MinorityReport

Sentinel

July 23rd, 2014, 23:08
Different strokes for different folks.

How much of an impact it can have on replayability can be highly variable (as is people's willingness to replay the game anyway). Some games keep the required plot important characters down, some have lots of potential companions, others the same character will not be exactly the same on another play through depending on choices (Anomen in BG 2 for example) or even a mix of those things.

For me, roleplaying the characters myself lacks a sense of surprise. I think that's part of the appeal of Martin, characters simply aren't safe. There's always a chance for something unexpected to happen which isn't the case for many other authors.

greywolf00

Sentinel

July 24th, 2014, 10:04
Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
I wouldn't call it a lack of imagination so much as a tool for immersion. Part of being in the world is seeing how other characters react to actions and others and party banter can do that. They have their own motivations and desires and sometimes trying to bring opposites together has combustible results (much like real life).
Exactly this. For me a great part of roleplaying means, that I let my charcter(s) perform actions in the game world, which in turn somehow reacts, where these reactions are not under my control. Combat is an action (where the gameworld's reaction is quite straight forward) as well as dialogs. With a game like vanilla IWD the gameworld's reaction is too shallow for my taste. Fleshed out companions could change that.

And of course I could roleplay 6 characters on my own. But a game like IWD imho lacks the framework to do so. If you take a look at NWN2: Storm of Zehir or of course now D:OS, you have party dialog systems where you can let the NPC actually interact meaningfully. Of course I could do all of that in my head, but for me that's not satisfying. I need some scaffolding here.

Originally Posted by MinorityReport View Post
Indeed, but those 'characters' are going to be the exact same characters every single play-through, and you have no personal choice over those characters.
Right, that's why I only replay games some years later (if at all).

You're just playing what someone else thinks would make for entertaining interaction.
Yep, and sometimes someone is dead on here, you have entertaining interaction and you just love the characters! And if you don't like them, in most games you can select from a variety of companions, so you can chose the ones you like. Of course with this IWD mod (or games like Blackguards) you indeed might have this problem.

If you personally can't stand the key characters your going to be travelling with it can put a huge downer on every other aspect of the game, even if the game is, otherwise, gorgeous.
Yeah, but I think that's quite the same with every other feature of the game. If you don't like the combat/crafting/music/visuals/etc. it can put a huge downer on every other aspect of the game, even if the game is, otherwise, gorgeous.

My current personal favorite approach would indeed be a sophisticated version of D:OS's AI personalities. Imagine if you could create some companions on your own (race, gender, class etc.) and then could add some backgrounds (e.g. like for the main character in DA:O), personalities, traits, quircks etc. and the game generates an actually consistent character from it, where dialogs/banter and general behaviour are derived from the given presets.
Of course this is quite hard to implement properly, but I think it would be a lot of fun.
Last edited by Morrandir; July 24th, 2014 at 13:44.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

July 27th, 2014, 09:19
My top 10 rpgs

1) Baldurs Gate 2 not including throne of bhaal
2) Betrayal at Krondor
3) Fallout 2
4) Starcon 2
5) Divinity Original Sin
6) The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
7) Ultima 7 first part
8) Quest for Glory series excluding 3 and 5
9) Fallout New Vegas
10) Baldurs Gate + expansion

Notable up and comers to challenge this:
Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall HD, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Legend of Grimrock 2

Silver

Watcher

Tags
crpg, top 10
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Top 10 CRPGs of all time