The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I was looking for a specific song. No luck. Instead I found some songs from a medieval-ish band called "Potentia Animi". Some diverse examples:

Schattentanz, "Shadow Dance", rhythmic instrumental piece, something to tap along to.

Ballade von den 3 Sündern, a ballad about three men (Jean, Jacques and Nicolo) who murdered a rich merchant one moonlit autumn night because they were hungry. They used the money to party - a lot, but their luck came to an end, their crime was found out and they were beheaded.

Qui per mundum. Uh… Rapping monks, singing in Latin.

Gaudete, an "interesting" chant. This is probably NSFW.

Viva l'amore, Latin pop song.

Heh, now this is a way to revive a dead language. Imagine if there were all kinds of modern song styles with Latin lyrics. Intriguing thought.

Last edited:
Gaudete, an "interesting" chant. This is probably NSFW.

Yes, interesting…

Steeleye Span - Gaudete

"'Gaudete' ('Rejoice') is a sacred Christmas carol, composed sometime in the 16th century."
"The Electric folk group Steeleye Span had a hit in 1973 (No. 14, UK singles chart) with an a cappella recording of the song."

Refrain:
"Gaudete, gaudete! Christus est natus Ex Maria virgine, gaudete!
Rejoice, rejoice! Christ is born Of the Virgin Mary, rejoice!"

More info about Gaudete and the complete text of the Gaudete

BTW, the refrain of the Gaudete of Steeleye Span and of Potentia Animi is exactly the same. The remaining text - loose words - of the latter though is indeed remarkable to say the least. Potentia Animis Gaudete lyrics (NSFW?)

Heh, now this is a way to revive a dead language.
Indeed!

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

Imagine if there were all kinds of modern song styles with Latin lyrics. Intriguing thought.

When talking about reviving a dead language I'd like to mention the Carmina Burana.

"Carmina Burana (…) is the name given to a manuscript of 254 poems and dramatic texts from the 11th or 12th century, although some are from the 13th century. The pieces were written almost entirely in Medieval Latin; a few in Middle High German, and some with traces of Old French or Provençal. "
"Between 1935 and 1936, German composer Carl Orff set 24 of the poems to new music, also called Carmina Burana."
Source:
Wikipedia - Carmina Burana

I'd like to mention two poems that are in Latin - performed by (a.o.) the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Seiji Ozawa. I personally prefer the performance of Riccardo Muti with Philharmonia Orchestra in 1979 BTW.

In Taberna Quando Sumus - Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
Lyrics, with English translation: In Taberna Quando Sumus

And, IMHO, a funny one:
Olim Lacus Colueram - Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
Lyrics, with English translation: Olim Lacus Colueram

When talking about reviving a dead language I'd like to mention the Carmina Burana.
Funny you should mention that, because in my search I also came across a project from Corvus Corax, another band that frequently played at medieval fairs:
Wikipedia said:
Cantus Buranus is the recording album by the German medieval revival band Corvus Corax that employs the medieval text Carmina Burana. Cantus Buranus is a stage opera of eleven poems from Carmina Burana for orchestra, choir and medieval instruments, incorporating medieval, classical and modern musical idioms. (..)
Here's a song from the sequel album, Cantus Buranus II:

Corvus Corax - De Mundi Statu (Carmina Burana No. 226)

There are one or two videos from the opera on youtube, but with fairly bad quality.

——————————

Going from the middle ages straight into the universe, I came across this fantastic "musical tribute to two great men of science."

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Cosmos Remixed)

Been a long time since I've listened to this duo. Beautiful stuff. This selection isn't actually my favorite of the available songs (that would probably be "Treasure Box"), but I really love the guitar work (yes, folks, that's 100% guitars, no keyboards to be found) at the beginning.

"Falling Sky" by Autumn's Grey Solace

into the next chapter of my Nox Arcana journey, getting into Darklore Manor. Awesome stuff. Not many people understand it, and at first I admit I really didnt know if I could get into it - it's like listening to a movie soundtrack. After a listen or ten, i think im hooked! Especially the first one i got into, Shadow of the Raven (Poe themed), I listen to it at least twice daily. Darklore is growing on me tho. For some reason, I keep thinking of King Diamond while listening to this stuff

Shadow of the Raven

Darklore Manor

"Falling Sky" by Autumn's Grey Solace
I listened to that song and suddenly I was at the end of the list. Didn't even notice. Cool. Me like.

into the next chapter of my Nox Arcana journey, getting into Darklore Manor. Awesome stuff.
Boy is that gloomy. Halloween is coming up and this might set the perfect mood then. I feel reminded of the Castlevania and Ghost'n'Goblins soundtracks.

There's also a trance version of the Ghost'n'Goblins song by the way. Sound's very different, but would still lend itself nicely for a Vamp or Halloween party or so. Long and creepy intro. Needs high volume to be fully appreciated.

Last edited:
Emily Remler ... tragic tale of a very talented guitarist who had addiction issues and died of a heart attack very young. She did some great stuff and someone mentioned it this week and it set me back to my library of her work.

What music genre is that? Sounds a bit like Jazz. Sadly Jazz is one of the few genres I can't fully appreciate because it sounds too "experimental" in my ears in lack of a better word. Not harmonious enough.

After listening to several classical Chinese Erhu songs I somehow ended up with something completely different again.

'Biocandy', by Chi-A.D. (Goa Trance)

I love the part from 4:30 up to 5:30 and beyond, with that wizard standing there, captured apparently an instant before performing great magic.

Now my ears need rest.

Interesting … hope she makes it big. :)

As for rock — while looking for MirrorMask material I found this really good music video. Very well done, lots of obscure images …

"Illusion & dream" by Poets of the Fall.

That was actually pretty good, Arhu.

I did a lot of Depeche Mode on the ride home from training today. There was more from Black Celebration than other releases, but it was spread over many of them. I don't think links are really necessary.

Seminal Britpop from the Madchester craze:

"Waterfall" by The Stone Roses

this time of year always has me spinning my namesake band, the one, the only, the mighty Samhain. It's been sheesh, like 20 years Ive been listening to this band.. still love em. Instrumental (no pun intended) in the formation, and some would say corruption of my teenage mind. The Misfits were cool, Danzig was cool, but Samhain was and still is chapter where my heart still lies
some favorites are :
archangel
the shift
human pony girl
he who cannot be named
the howl
halloween II
to walk the night

Last edited:
Glorious Dawn (ft. Carl Sagan & Stephen Hawking) have already been mentioned in this thread... I currently listen to it at least once per day, usually when getting to and from the university. It's amazing.

Now here's another one from the same author:
Symphony of Science - We Are All Connected (ft. Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, DeGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye).

Genious... pure genious... Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan are perhaps my greatest inspirations in life.

"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable
To phenomena in the cosmos
That makes me want to grab people in the street
And say, have you heard this??"

I'm currently listening to a CD which has become kind of rare : The 12" Mixes by the Bangles.

I realized that these "extended versions" are nowadays on at least some of the new remasters of their older CDs.

Back
Top Bottom