What are you reading?

I'd say such is the works of JK Rowling. At least book four an onwards.

I'm rereading The Weel of Time. Well, book one anyway, I doubt I'll wade through the entire serie again. At least not now. The positive is that I'm reading for the first time in ages. I doubt I've managed to finnish three books this year. Three years ago I finnished three books per month in a good month.

Übereil

I've moved on to "Axis" by Robert Charles Wilson, the sequel to his fantastic Hugo award-winning "Spin" novel.

It starts a bit slow but became a could-not-put-down-read about mid-way through. Sleep deprivation inducing.... Most of the character development is superb. And I really like his shifting third-person writing style; the narrative switches to the perspective of a different main character at section boundaries. It really deepens the characterizations.

He is writing a third book in the series, and I may be tempted to buy the hardcover when it comes out!

FWIW, Stepen King believes he is the best current sc-fi writer.

Last edited:
I tend to trust Stephen King's recommendations, even though I have a hard time with his books--his blurb on the cover is why I initially bought The Terror(for my husband who's a major SK addict.) He definitely has the sci-fi horror geek creds.

I'm working my way slowly through one of Rithradril's rec's, Democracy in America, by Alexis de Tocqueville. It's surprisingly pertinent and readable considering it was written in the 19th century, but very idea-and-concept-dense for my aging brain.

Interesting, thanks. Having studied Geology myself almost 20 years ago, I'm thankful for this hint. :) ;)

I read Assembling California by the same author, and was thoroughly captivated about his explanation of the history of the major landforms and plate tectonics of California. He has a real nice way of explaining geology in layman's terms.

Highly recommended if you're interested in plate tectonics and how it explains things like all the gold that was found in California, among MANY other things.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you. :)

I wish there was a similar book about European Geology, too. ;)

I hadn't touched it since I read it aloud to the family 2 years ago (a wonderful tradition!),

You have a patience that I can only admire... :speechless: :worship:

My impatience shows these days when I try to read anything longer than 400 pages, and the kind of Fantasy/SF that I'm interested in, seems to be either longer than 1000 pages or short stories; so I'm currently sticking to short stories.

Nonetheless, I've got Newton's Cannon by Gregory Keyes lined up, since he has been named as the author to whom that new TES novel has been assigned. I wanted to see what kind of writer this dubious honour had been bestowed upon, besides that the premise of the book looked interesting anyway.

Finished "The Last Wish" by Sapkowski a while ago, and also have Blood of Elves by the same author lined up. (This one looks scarily thick, though... :p )

Re-reading the Cyann cycle by Lacroix and Bourgeon. About halfway through Les Couleurs de Marcade. There's something new there every time, especially in the visual texture.

Just bought The Terror because you guys have been saying such good things about it and I just love lovecraftian horror in general. So far, except for the prelude, it's been pretty slow and the english is at times quite hard for me. Anyway the opening was great and it gave me great hopes for the rest of the book.

Finished Mage Guard of Hamor, the most recent Recluse novel from LE Modesitt Jr. After a dozen or so books, this series just keeps on trucking. A fun read, as expected.

Next up, a change-of-pace book, John Sandford's Mortal Prey. I was having a pretty good time with the series, but haven't read one in a couple years. We'll see if I can pick up where I left off.

Finished Mage Guard of Hamor, the most recent Recluse novel from LE Modesitt Jr. After a dozen or so books, this series just keeps on trucking. A fun read, as expected.

Next up, a change-of-pace book, John Sandford's Mortal Prey. I was having a pretty good time with the series, but haven't read one in a couple years. We'll see if I can pick up where I left off.

My husband's totally hooked on Sandford--he bought up a pile of Prey books at the dollar book store the other day and is working his way through them, chortling at the graphically violent parts. I haven't got past Clive Cussler myself, though P.T. Deutermann is pretty good.

I just finished Imager, the first book in Modesitt's new series. Darn good like all his work. While Eddings has dropped off, LEM just keeps on keeping on.

lately i havent been able to find a book to keep my interest, they put me to sleep. On a whim I tried a Warhammer40K book specifically "Horus Rising", and i'm surprisingly captivated by it. Granted, it is about the most infamous event in Warhammer lore history (the betrayal of the Emperor by his right hand man Horus), but I'm really enjoying reading Warhammer40k themed fiction, more so than the typical fantasy stuff. I'm sorry, standard fantasy just bores me to tears anymore. I tried the Sword of Truth series, but Goodkind just knocked me out!

Thinking this may be the material to get me interested.. and um.. awake

Reading My Idea of Fun, Will Self's first book. He is a sick, sick puppy. I've been making an effort to actually google the words I don't know as well, he's got a ridiculously extensive vocabulary, it's rare for me to come across many words I don't know but with him there's stuff every few pages.

Finished Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut before that.

Just bought The Terror because you guys have been saying such good things about it and I just love lovecraftian horror in general. So far, except for the prelude, it's been pretty slow and the english is at times quite hard for me. Anyway the opening was great and it gave me great hopes for the rest of the book.

It's written in a kind of period style, and it takes a little getting used to, but eventually I think the style gives the book a lot of its authenticity. There is also a lot of dry detail about the expedition, but if you have the patience to wade through it, it also feeds into the sense of doom and fear, imo, in that no matter how competent and practical things appear on the outside, there's no stopping the end result.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. :)

Back
Top Bottom