I need a cell phone/hand held gaming combo.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch
I'm basically looking for a unit that will play games (mainly CRPG's like Undercroft, etc.). I've never owned a cell phone (and frankly don't want one) but I'd like to be able to set up an account in the future if need be. So basically I'm looking for a cell phone with a screen that can play games. I looked at used Pocket PC's on ebay, but someone told me they're obsolete. Also, can I use the unit to play games, set appointments etc. without having the cell phone subscription connected? I'm basically clueless, and any advice would be much appreciated. I don't need the best of the best, either, just something that does what I need it to.

If you don't want a cell phone now, I wouldn't waste money on one. They're obsoleted incredibly fast. If it's just for gaming, sounds like a Nintendo DS would do the trick. If you also want to connect to the Web over WiFi, manage your calendar etc., go with the iPod Touch -- it's basically an iPhone without the phone, and a good deal cheaper.

My problem is I really don't like jRPG's. I haven't looked at the catalog, but my guess is that most of the CRPG games on the DS are of that variety. That's what had me looking at used Pocket Pc's; they play games like Undercroft, Dragons Bane, etc.

I have gamed on Pocket PC as well as SymbianOS (mobile) and I also explored the PSP/GBA/DS market. I would suggest that true handheld RPG's on portable devices are rare. Pocket PC had a few where Undercroft in my opinion were the best, but either DS or PSP will give you a total sum of western-style RPG's that can be counted on five fingers.

Personally I just gave up the idea of grabbing a portable device to get my hands of a pile of great and new RPG's and instead flashed my PSP to be able to play homebrew software. I have most emulators on it now. This means that I can play RPG's from Amiga, SNES, Megadrive, Gameboy Advance etc. I actually spend more time on emulators on my PSP than actual PSP games.

I have gamed on Pocket PC as well as SymbianOS (mobile) and I also explored the PSP/GBA/DS market. I would suggest that true handheld RPG's on portable devices are rare. Pocket PC had a few where Undercroft in my opinion were the best, but either DS or PSP will give you a total sum of western-style RPG's that can be counted on five fingers.

Personally I just gave up the idea of grabbing a portable device to get my hands of a pile of great and new RPG's and instead flashed my PSP to be able to play homebrew software. I have most emulators on it now. This means that I can play RPG's from Amiga, SNES, Megadrive, Gameboy Advance etc. I actually spend more time on emulators on my PSP than actual PSP games.

I'm going to throw myself off a cliff with pure joy if you tell me I can play Black Crypt on PSP. If so, that's what I'm buying.

My problem is I really don't like jRPG's. I haven't looked at the catalog, but my guess is that most of the CRPG games on the DS are of that variety.
I too loath JRPGs, and yes most of the DS RPG library fits that category, but the DS's game library is vast enough that it's not all about purple-haired, androgynous, angsty teenagers and their unfeasibly large swords. And while 99% DS games will be of no interest to anyone here, or anyone above the age of ten for that matter, that still leaves dozens of interesting titles. There's old school early Wizardry style dungeon crawlers, turn-based combat tactical RPGs, puzzle RPG hybrids, and a few gems that don't quite fit any category. For a better idea of what's available it's worth looking up reviews on Etrian Odyssey, The Dark Spire, Disgaea DS, Puzzle Quest, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, and Infinite Space. My DS has given me well over a hundred hours of RPG entertainment and not one minute was wasted on a JRPG.

Back
Top Bottom