Diablo 3 - Interview @ Hellforge

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Sol Invictus interviewed Diablo III's Lead World Designer Leonard Boyarsky about Diablo's lore and the development of its setting.
So I guess you guys end up cutting out certain things that don’t work out?

Leonard Boyarsky: Yeah, but we also found a lot of stuff that’s struck a chord with people. The lore book that we’ve been putting in has been really popular. People like the ability to hear background stuff while they run around killing things as opposed to having to stop to read. So, we’re pretty surprised by that because people generally split into two different kinds of classes: the people who care about the lore and the people who could care less, but we’re finding that with the lore books that people have really responded to them. I’m assuming that’s because the audio portion of it where they don’t have to stop and sit and read it doesn’t cut into the action, basically.

Like, we put in some background of Leoric, his journal and Lachdanan who are characters that you’ve heard about and didn’t really meet in their human forms in the first Diablo, so you get to hear their voices and their stories from their point of view. It’s just that I think people are really kind of interested in that especially if they’ve played the games all the way from the first one.
Thanks Omega.
More information.

I worked with Leonard for years on several projects, and, it's good to see that his mindset is still much the same. He's very in tune with what works and doesn't work in a game world...what will really draw a player in. I remember having limited faith in a couple of his ideas when we were working on Fallout, and, lo-and-behold, they became some of the most endearing elements in the game...elements that fans immediately think of when they look back and think of Fallout.
With Leon doing lead world design and having generous Blizzard schedules and resources on his side, I expect great things.

Leonard must be a very empathetic, as well as extremely talented to be so in touch with such a fickle bunch, as we gamers can be. :)

Back
Top Bottom