Avernum 6 - November Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Avernum 6 is essentially complete - so says Jeff Vogel in his November update. The game should be released for Mac "before the end of November", and the PC conversion usually follows in around three months:
Good news from the Avernum front. The game is done. It has been passing smoothly through beta testing. It should be out for the Macintosh before the end of November.

A lot of work recently has been on balancing the late game. A lot of people had trouble with the difficulty of Avernum 5. I've been working hard to make sure that when you're playing on Normal difficulty you don't need to be super-skilled to just get through the storyline. Of course, if you want a challenge, Hard and Torment difficulties are available.

Also, if you want things to be really easy, the character editor and cheat codes are still in there.

Almost all of the graphics in the game have been redone. I'm putting the final touches on the completely refreshed item graphics.

The game is, as is traditional, enormous. There is a LOT of stuff to do, and the main storyline alone is full of excitement and incident. And be careful about who who help. Your actions can result in drastically different futures for the world of Avernum.

Today, I am putting together the final version of the application and sending it to testers. Then, barring disasters, I'll start on the million different bizness things I need to do to finish a game. I hope to have more screenshots up very soon.

So keep an eye on the main Avernum 6 page:

http://www.avernum.com/avernum6/index.html

Onward to victory!

- Jeff Vogel
More information.

Cant wait to play this game. To bad i have to wait another 3 more months :(
Didnt know it was that hard to convert from mac to PC.

o well enough to play anyways.

Sounds great! I recently finished Geneforge 5, and I think in 3 months time I might be ready for another round of "Spiderweb CRPG" :)

As for how hard it is to port from mac to pc, well that depends on many things. Still, Jeff has been doing this for so long that I also seriously doubt that he'll spend the next 3 months just porting. My guess is that he'll start working on his next game in parallel with doing the pc port. Actually the gap between the mac and pc release might very well be a tactical thing, where he can use the mac player base to gauge how well the game is received and see if a patch will be needed (in which case he can then ship a pc version that is already fixed).

. Actually the gap between the mac and pc release might very well be a tactical thing, where he can use the mac player base to gauge how well the game is received and see if a patch will be needed (in which case he can then ship a pc version that is already fixed).

True, which is in this case a good thing. However, when i really want something, its hard to wait ;).

It is real - I have done beta testing for him on both platforms, and while the bulk of the core game issues are worked out during the Mac beta, there is still a bunch of platform specific stuff to be done, and of course stuff that the beta testers missed, and also the natural stuff that occurs due to the contrast between beta testers and customers (see his blog for more details on that).

Can't say anything about the game, though. Perhaps just 'w00t' will cover it ... but no specifics ;)

It is real - I have done beta testing for him on both platforms, and while the bulk of the core game issues are worked out during the Mac beta, there is still a bunch of platform specific stuff to be done, and of course stuff that the beta testers missed, and also the natural stuff that occurs due to the contrast between beta testers and customers (see his blog for more details on that).

Can't say anything about the game, though. Perhaps just 'w00t' will cover it … but no specifics ;)

Well lets say, you didnt made it any easier for me to not eat my nails out of frustation :p
On the bright side, i can play with fewer bugs than you did ;)

Hey, I have a Mac Mini lying around here. Maybe I should get this and play a game on Mac for a change. Furthermore, I've never even played an Avernum game! I'm not so sure it's for me as I like purty graphics and high production levels. Not sure if I could be immersed in an indie RPG.

I'm not so sure it's for me as I like purty graphics and high production levels.

I know we've been round and round on it before, but as I said back in '06 it was unfortunate that millions chose the far inferior Oblivion as their RPG of the year over the superior in every way BUT graphics Avernum 4.

Back
Top Bottom