Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Neera the Wild Mage

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Overhaul has posted a new story snippet from BG: Enhanced Edition for Neera the Wild Mage, as well as an audio sample of the voice actor:
Final Exam
"Oh, my aching noggin." Moth cradled his head as he slumped down the great oak's winding ramp. His iridescent wings drooped.
"You should know better than to drink so much nectar the night before class." Pollae planted the foot of her oaken staff in the moss and raised a fine elven eyebrow to look down at him.
Neera didn't like the way Pollae used her height to belittle the pixie. At barely over two feet high, Moth was small even for a sprite. He had spent half the night flitting from bloom to bloom, sampling every night-blossoming flower he could find.
Neera understood the allure of spring. The same perfumes had tempted her outside to tease the boys when she knew she should be studying. As a result, Neera was also completely unprepared.
As usual.
More information.

Ew, wild mage. Gimme a sorcerer over that liability any day.

I wonder if they "fixed" sorcerers charisma when porting them over. There were no sorcerers in BG1, yeah?

Back in those days I played a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist. I had some trick where I'd find a wand of summoning that was always in some cave and I'd swarm Drizzt with them and take him out with a bow. :)

I wonder if they "fixed" sorcerers charisma when porting them over. There were no sorcerers in BG1, yeah?

Indeed there weren't.

As is, Charisma in BG1 and 2 does nothing at all. There's this common myth that it somehow affects prices etc, but it doesn't. Only reputation does. I've tried many times to pump a character from 3 charisma to 20 just to see if the prices went down, but they never did.

Also, it should affect conversations and Sorcerer spells (as you pointed out), but it doesn't do that either. It's a completely broken stat. Working charisma would be interesting. Then again, it means I'd lose my favorite dump stat (most of my characters start with as low charisma as possible).

Actually charisma works as intended in both bg1 and bg2.
In bg1 it affects several quest rewards and can mean the difference between getting a magical pair of boots and a reputation point or a few gold coins while in bg 2 it only affects store prices and the dispositon of a few characters.
Viconia for example wont romance someone below a certain charisma point.
The charisma check however is only performed on whatever character does the actual talking in bg 1 and store prices in bg 2 is determined by the party leader (not 100% if it is party leader or talk initiator in bg2).
There are also a few "dead zones" where you need to raise your charisma several points for the next tier bonus.
For example a charisma of 10 will give the same prices as a charisma of 12 but 13 will give a discount.

Actually charisma works as intended in both bg1 and bg2.
In bg1 it affects several quest rewards and can mean the difference between getting a magical pair of boots and a reputation point or a few gold coins while in bg 2 it only affects store prices and the dispositon of a few characters.
Viconia for example wont romance someone below a certain charisma point.
The charisma check however is only performed on whatever character does the actual talking in bg 1 and store prices in bg 2 is determined by the party leader (not 100% if it is party leader or talk initiator in bg2).
There are also a few "dead zones" where you need to raise your charisma several points for the next tier bonus.
For example a charisma of 10 will give the same prices as a charisma of 12 but 13 will give a discount.

No, it doesn't work. The perfect example is the Robe of Vecna, which I buy every time I play the game, always for the same price. Start with a main character that has 3 Charisma. Get the Ring of Human Influence from the tent nearby (where you meet Aerie). The ring boosts Charisma to 18. Check the price both with the ring and without the ring. The Robe will always cost exactly the same, unless you improve your reputation. The lowest possible price is something like 15-16k gold, at 20 reputation, regardless of Charisma.

Maybe there's some sort of unofficial fix/patch that actually fixes Charisma, but it's certainly not included in any patches/mods that I use.

Perhaps there is a bug when you start out with such low charisma or the robe of vecna is some kind of an exeption since it was a bonus item but i just double checked on my current playtrough and my charisma does indeed alter store prices.
My monk has 13 charisma and a gold necklace costs 85gp. When i use the ring of human influence (char set to 18) that same necklace costs 72gp.
The only unofficial mods i use are the baldurdash fixes and ascention.

No, it doesn't work.
Yes, it does. I distinctly remember swapping characters for this purpose on my first (totally unmodded) playthrough.
Maybe the bonus merchants aren´t affected by this.

Isn't there also another bug with charisma not affecting sorcerers spell casting the way it's supposed to? Iirc, charisma is supposed to be the primary stat for sorcerers in the same manner that intelligence is for mages.
I don´t think it´s a bug per se, just something that was planned to be implemented and got consciously scrapped for whatever reason. Probably a similar reason why intelligence actually doesn´t have any effect on the highest level of spells mages can cast, or why wisdom doesn´t affect magic resistance/saving throws.
It´s definitely stupid that there´s no stat influencing sorcerer´s spells.

Last edited:
Shop prices should be modified by both your charisma and your reputation. Here's the exact formula. -> http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_II:_Shadows_of_Amn/Shop_Details

@DeepO- :) I deleted that post after realizing that bug had already been mentioned in the first two posts.

I completely forgot about wisdom not affecting saving throws. Oddly enough, I didn't even find out about that until long after I had finished both games. You would think that's something I would have noticed though...

Last edited:
Hmm it could be the bonus merchants I suppose. I'm fairly certain all of Deidre's items will always cost exactly the same at 20 reputation. Then again, I'm also fairly certain that high level spells that can be bought from Ribald or the lady in the back of his store always cost the same as well.

These are the items that actually cost a lot in the game, which is why I've tried to get them cheaper dozens of times. Never works. Except Reputation, obviously, but I almost always get that to 20 as soon as possible.

Indeed there weren't.

As is, Charisma in BG1 and 2 does nothing at all. ).

Are you sure about that? Doesn't sound accurate to me. I thought it had an effect on possible morale failure in combat (low cha in a leader thus undesirable) and party members were more likely to break out into arguments if a leader had low charisma.

Hmm, I also know that in IWD2 it effected spell modifiers and bonus spells for priests (being 3rd edition). I would have thought it would also be the same in BG, but don't have it installed to check.

A 2 foot tall pixie/sprite is a small version?!

starwars-532_1519416a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom