The Witcher - v1.5 Patch on July 8th

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt sent out this PR announcing the DRM-free v1.5 Witcher patch for July 8th:
Patch 1.5 coming for download on July 8th!

Starting on the 8th of July, you’ll be able to download the next update for The Witcher, version 1.5.

The patch focuses mainly on removing troublesome DRM, allowing you to play the game without the disc, while providing additional hours of fun thanks to new adventures created by the fan community. Patch 1.5 is the next stage of The Witcher’s life, and is also a means of expressing our thanks to the modding community for their hard work on creating the adventures. The update will also be included in forthcoming The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut; more info on that product will be released shortly.

Patch 1.5 features:

Modifications:
- copy securities (DRM) are removed
- playing the game no longer requires the game disc in the drive
- patch solves problems with EAX and blurred graphics

Additionally:
- 5 bonus adventures made by the Witcher community: ‘Deceits’, ‘Blight of the Bogs’, ‘Wraiths of the Quiet Hamlet’, ‘Wedding’, ‘Merry Witchmas’.

In order to install patch 1.5 correctly, original Witcher game upgraded to 1.4 (enhanced edition) will be required.
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-previews/342.html
More information.

Awesome. This is the PR I like to see. Stuff that makes playing the game just a little bit better and easier.

Last edited:
They are doin another release - Directors Cut ?

I mean its really nice that we original owners get this upgrade for free but releasing another box slowly gets a little ridiculous.... What will be next ? Special directors black enhanced super edition? so much about milking a franchise....

IMHO they sould focus on witcher 2 which will hopefully ease their financial struggles if it gets as good as the first part....

Just my two cents,
L.

What's wrong with milking? I love milk ;)

Everyone loves to say oohhh CDPR is milking The Witcher, shame on them. Who cares if they release a hundred boxes? As long as they're still making The Witcher 2, they stay in business and I get any updates for free then it's no skin of my nose how many Witcher boxes they release.

They're trying something different and if it works then great, if not then I don't think it'll be much of a loss. To my knowledge, I don't think anyone has ever tried updating and rereleasing a game 3 times. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this strategy.

It is a bit ironic though, that for CDPR to be "milking" is perfectly okay, but other companies trying to make money are somehow heathens and filthy capitalists that are only interested in robbing their customers.

All development companies are interested in making money. Of course they are. As long as they also make good games while making money, all is well. Let's leave it at that.

It is a bit ironic though, that for CDPR to be "milking" is perfectly okay, but other companies trying to make money are somehow heathens and filthy capitalists that are only interested in robbing their customers.

The trick is that all the updates for The Witcher have also been available for free to every customer, while the other usual methods of milking don't provide that. Tis an important difference, in my mind.

All development companies are interested in making money. Of course they are. As long as they also make good games while making money, all is well. Let's leave it at that.

I don't think too many people here would dispute that. People start having problems, though, when a corporation does Bad Things (tm) to their products in order to "milk" the market -- e.g. they dumb down and sell out on a perfectly good franchise, they put in DRM that has to be signed in blood at midnight and takes your grandmother's soul as collateral, they lock down features such as moddability, they charge for horse armor, and so on and so forth.

Corporations need to make money, for sure, and we all need to make a living -- but they, and we, have a lot of choice about how to do it. A crack dealer can argue that he's just supplying a product that the market needs and doing his best to scratch by, but that doesn't mean that what he's doing isn't destroying lives.

Look, the CDP guys actually are doing something good here, I find. When, in a time, where everyone screams about drm, they are removing it from The Witcher. And again, the content is free for anyone who registered the game on their forums.

That's how it is done, I find.

The trick is that all the updates for The Witcher have also been available for free to every customer, while the other usual methods of milking don't provide that. Tis an important difference, in my mind.

Absolutely - this isn't like Dungeon Lords: CE, for example.

Back
Top Bottom