What Game Should I Play Next?

TIE Fighter is worth it. Great game. Probably the best of all the SW 'flight sims'. - Well, not just probably: it is. Much better than the later games. Besides, it gives a really good impression of how it is like to fight for the Empire. Did I say 'great game' already?

Definitely! I'm not a huge fan of that game type and I LOVED Tie Fighter ...

X-Wing Alliance (short : XWA) was almost as good, but I found the story of TIE Fighter better ... More complex ... ;)

Tie Fighter was indeed wonderful.

That said, I do recall it being significantly easier than X-Wing - which was a shame. X-Wing was deliciously challenging, to my mind.

Yeah, the praise for TIE Fighter is almost universal. Maybe a joystick is in my future… I have no idea on what to look for in one, though.

And if you do get a joystick, make sure to check out the Freespace series. Freespace 2 is regarded by many as the best space flight sim.

I use one of these things: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extr...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332522541&sr=1-1 which seem to be a very common joystick. Relatively cheap, and it has all the basic functions that you need. No force feedback, which is a shame, but you can twist the joystick, which Ashindai pointed out is quite handy (I never even realized that such a function would be useful until I played with a joystick that had it. Now I just won't go back. Playing MechWarrior 4 with it is by the way pure gaming bliss).

Too bad that the height of the Flight Sims seems to be over now ... I just can't remember any modern Flight Sim game anymore ... Especially none SciFi-themed ... The last I can remember was Yager, and I haven't played that yet ... That and "Star Wars Starfighter" - an imho rather fun game.

Well, despite all the encouragement here (thanks everyone), I've decided to save Tie Fighter for a rainier day. After a bit of research, it's apparent that getting this old game to run properly (without glitches) in DOSBox ON any particular modern joystick is not guaranteed. I'd hate to buy a joystick and then not be able to get Tie Fighter right. I'd rather not set myself up for that kind of disappointment. More research required. So if anyone is running Tie Fighter on DOSBOX using Windows XP and joystick, and it works without issues, please let me know your config, and I may copy it (including buying the exact same joystick model)… Seems like a lot of time just to get one game to run.

So I took the "easy" route and installed X3: Terran Conflict. It is quite pretty and has very nice background music. But the soothing aspects stop there. :p It REALLY needs a hefty manual. Too bad that the thick one it comes with is poorly written / translated. Well, I am starting to figure it out. First rule, use automatic pilot as much as possible, since I am a lousy pilot. Second, set the SETA factor up to 10x and turn it on whenever possible to speed up the poderously slow travel times. Those are tricks I've found so far. ;) Though I still can't figure out why when I turn right in the main screen my ship icon turns left in the sector map. Annoying.

I started with a Humble Argon (oddly close to Argonian) Trader, and after a false start by following some bad suggested beginning trading routes in the manual, I restarted and paid more attention to buy prices to ignore the manual where appropriate (duh!), and have done well enough for a few upgrades. But sheesh this seems grindy. I may lose interest soon. I have found a few lucrative power cell and ore "milk" runs, but other trading has little profit. I've explored down to the Paranid border (they won't let me trade at their stations though), and a couple sectors north, east and west or Argon Prime.

So any suggestions to a "entrepreneur" level trader, to make things less grindy and faster? All I have is an upgraded Mercury TS transport. I just spent most of my credits on upgrades and have about 150K now. I have yet to engage in any real combat. I figure once I get about 2 million credits I'll get a fighter, and try the combat side of the game. Maybe try out factories later. I have to say the ship controls are difficult and 3-d space a bit disorienting, so not sure how combat will go (will need plenty of save/reloads until I get the hang of it, I suppose). BTW, most of the random offered missions are impossible at this level, I've only been able to do a few. :/

I`m also needing some recommendations for what game to play next.....

These are the games i own but haven`t played yet (yes i know its a lot, however i have a small baby boy and haven`t got over the habit of buying / supporting the games i once loved....):

Deus Ex HUman revolution (played first mission)
Finishing FO: NV (finished OWB last night, sill got the second half of the main
campaign and long road DLC)
Skyrim
Dead Island
Two Worlds 2 (inc. POTFF)
LA Noire
Kingdoms of Amalur
LOTR: War in the north
Mass Effect 3

The game I am most looking forward to is the witcher 2 which I have, however I want to wait for the enhanced edition coming on te 17th of April....

Mass Effect 3 I`ll probably won`t play until the face import issue has been solved and listening to the cries all around the world until either the ending has been changed or until some time has passed....

So,

What are you suggesting ?

Cheers,
L.

Well out of all those, I'd say Skyrim is my favorite. But you need to tell us what you are looking for in your next game. A change of gameplay style, or setting, or more of the same ... ?

well i am longing for a game with a good story and less freedom right now... I played FO NV to the death and i have to admit i am a little fed up with wide, open-world RPGs right now... something more dense, mission based or similar..... thats why the idea of Skyrim or KOA doesn`t really click for me right now....

Of those games i mentionend, probably DEus ex would fit the most.... i dunno....

thats not important..... if it is gripping me then i am all done...

Dense / mission-based is not something I'd attribute to DE:HR. Good setting though. It is less open than FO NV. The character building is somewhat pointless, though. By the end there's almost enough XP to get every perk.

OK.... cheers..... maybe I`ll try to finish FO: New Vegas then (incl. Lonesome road9 however i am afraid that this might be a chore and not fun....

Any experience with lonesome road ?

These are the games on my pile I am considering (there are many fantasy titles that are off the list for now).

Out of the games on your list I've played, Bioshock 2 was the most fun IMO.

I would also recommend Hard Reset, which was fun but very short, unless you play on the highest difficulty level (in which case you might get stuck and ragequit ;-)

Deus Ex HUman revolution (played first mission)
Finishing FO: NV (finished OWB last night, sill got the second half of the main
campaign and long road DLC)
Skyrim
Dead Island
Two Worlds 2 (inc. POTFF)
LA Noire
Kingdoms of Amalur
LOTR: War in the north
Mass Effect 3

Really enjoyed Skyrim and ME3. ME3 was much shorter, obviously, as I'm still playing Skyrim after 500+ hours and I finished the ME3 singleplayer after about 60-70 hours with no interest in replaying yet. ME3 multiplayer was a lot of fun, but became repetitive after a few weekends.

Haven't played Dead Island, TW2, LOTR. I tried the Amalur demo and it was fun but I didn't enjoy the gameplay as much as Skyrim or ME3.

Back
Top Bottom