2011 was a terrific year for RPG - but what about 2012 ?

Lannister

Watchdog
While I was sitting at my laptop i was thinking on all the top-value RPGs released this yeatr: The Witcher 2, the Addons for Fallout NV, Skyrim, Two Worlds 2.....

HOwever I could only think of one rpg which i was thinking about buying next year: Kingdom of Amalur, although the juvenile comic style kind of scares me......

Are there any other promising RPGs released next year ?

What do you think ?

L.

I am looking forward to KoA very much, just hope the interviews are at least somewhat connected to actual game play.

Maybe Diablo 3 ... although I lost a lot of interest after I learned more about how it was going to be set up.

Don't see anything else on the list I that excites me at the moment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_video_gaming

I'm hoping for Frayed Knights 2!! :)

I was hoping for KotC 2 in '12, but I don't see that happening now. KoA looks far too much like WoW for my liking, so I'm hoping for some Skyrim expansions. Since Bioware and Obsidian officially lost their collective minds this year, that's two less venues to hope for rpg's from.

The Spiderweb games that are getting updated are my final hope for next year. That would be wonderful!! =)

-Carn

I think that as of now Risen 2 is the most promising RPG of 2012. Diablo 3 should be a nice distraction for a little while, too. And Mass Effect 3 will certainly be a huge deal for a lot of people.
Other than that it does indeed look like it's not going to be an overly great year for RPGers. But who knows... there may be a surprise announcement or two waiting to happen so we'll have to see before writing the year off just yet.

Neverwinter will be out, but it's mmo now. Skyrim toolset will be out with hopefully some great mods.

I agree.... I forgot about Risen...... One thing which also came to my minds was the a song of ice and fire RPG - I sincerely hope they don`t sink that one... I love that franchise...

Risen 2

Nuff said…

That's sadly about it for me too in terms of AAA RPGs in 2012, although i will keep an eye on South Park: RPG if nothing else but for its sheer oddity…I can't remember a project that seemed more out of left field than that. Never cared for Diablo, and the changes made move it even farther away from my preferences. I'm pretty apathetic regarding ME3, and nothing else - on the AAA front - really intrigues me. Kingdoms of Amular looks promising, but I am also very concerned about certain aspects that don't appeal to me (QTE's? ugh…Fable mixed with WOW art direction? hmm…) so that one's in the "cautiously optimistic, but not expecting too much" category.

I won't complain too much though…This year we had The Witcher 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Skyrim, and all three of these games have been really enjoyable for me. Not every year will see multiple really good AAA RPGs, and now Bethesda and CDProjectRed will be "off the market" so to speak for a few years in terms of full releases. Bioware no longer makes RPGs (that I enjoy, anyway), and Obsidian certainly doesn't look like it has anything truly promising in the pipeline - which is disappointing considering they recently released Fallout: New Vegas. I was hoping that would be their "breakthrough game" which would allow them to make similarly ambitious projects; instead they followed that up with Dungeon Siege 3 and now South Park.

Legend of Grimrock should be coming out in early 2012. The recent beta footage is looking good.

I'm also looking forward to Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3.

I haven't been following KoA or Risen 2 much but maybe they will be of interest.

Will play most of the RPGs that will come next year, but the only one I'm actually looking forward to is Risen 2. It has the chance to become one of my most favorite games ever ( and many other people ) if it lives up to the potential.

Me, I'm rather looking forward to several adventures and other non-RPG titles …

I wouldn't be surprised, by the way, if there's one or two DLCs for Skyrim out next year as well.

And, if all else fails, we might see Grimoire!! :)

Risen 2, Grimrock and Eschalon 3 are my hopes.

edit: and AoD of course!

Amalur, Risen 2, Grimrock, some Skyrim DLC.

Next year will be fun. I hope.

Last edited:
Risen 2 is definitely top of the list for me. I played Risen when it first came out and thought it was awesome! There were a couple rough elements, but a very good experience overall for me. I also very recently had been playing Gothic 2 and was amazed at how ahead of its time it was in some regards. Risen 2 has a chance to add back in some elements to Risen that were left out of Risen 1, give it a modern combat system (I really enjoyed the first Risen's combat and am curious how they will handle it in Risen 2), prettier graphics, and a bigger setting with more to do and I am one happy camper!

I am also really looking forward to KOA. It's often compared to Fable, but to be honest I enjoyed the first two Fable games for what they were (never played the third). If it can take the best of those games, give it a more mature theme, a more open world (supposedly on par with the Elder scrolls games in size), and tons of quests (6 faction quest-lines each lasting 30 hours??), heck yeah!

If Age of Decadence comes out, I will buy it. If Kenshi gets closer to a finished state, I will probably buy it. The ARPG'er in me is looking forward to some more Diablo (have incredibly fond memories of the first) and Torchlight 2.

Personally, I think 2012 will be a great year! My problem is that I rarely have free time to play all of these games. I only have a level 17 character in Skyrim and have many other games I still need to play. Maybe I will hit the big time and be able to retire from regular work...though somehow I doubt that will happen too soon.

Seeing as I think Skyrim is the best game in the world as of this moment - even in its unmodded state, I can't really complain. But we have Amalur, Risen 2, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and others on the horizon.

The best thing about Skyrim, in my mind, is that I can stop questioning my own ideas of what games should be like.

The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex 3 were the first steps, actually, but I didn't really believe I'd get an AAA experience that could truly satisfy me in almost all ways ever again.

You see, I've been used to another kind of game for what seems like an eternity - and I've been wondering if it was just me being overly demanding or deluded by nostalgia somehow. I've been thinking that every time an RPG came out, and I wasn't really happy with this or that feature - it could just be nitpicking and me not being able to enjoy games at the same level as I did as a kid.

Skyrim proved me wrong, and I feel really gratified knowing that almost every improvement over Morrowind/Oblivion is an improvement I've been seeking openly for years. The only thing lacking is a true challenge and a balanced experience from start to finish, but that can come through mods - and it's almost impossible to achieve for a game of that sort.

But Skyrim demonstrated to me that I was right about what good game design is, at least as far as I'm concerned - but it seems that a LOT of people are sharing my enthusiasm - and that's just fantastic.

The future is once again bright.

2011 was a good year for RPGs. 2012 also looks like it's going to be a good year. As others have mentioned already:
- Risen 2
- ME3
- KoA
- Probably a bunch of extra DLC/expansion content for existing games

For MMORPG players it's also looking pretty solid:
- Guild Wars 2
- WoW: Mists of Pandaria
- Is Secret World a 2012 title?

Back
Top Bottom