Economic outlook for 2009

The Contract With America was really the last gasp for that whole paradigm. Newt's gigantic ego and Willie's teflon pretty well destroyed that momentum. Dubya and the neocons pissed all over it to finish the job.

Which is amongst the reason I hated Clinton, Newt and the entirety of the neo-cons most of all ... because at least Slick Willie cut back the gov't and New tried to be a real conservative ...

The CwA had all sorts of fiscally responsible angles in it, not the least of which being the balanced budget amendment. The problem is that Newt rode in on such a massive wave of public opinion that he started thinking he was the biggest wheel in town. That led to him getting completely sidetracked with trying to take down Blow Job Billy. Even that might have not led to disaster except for the fact that Willie was the greatest pure politician of our age. Newt was doomed to lose that fight and that loss allowed the dems and the media to turn the public toward debating Newt's foibles rather than debating the CwA. The mandate shattered.

I assume my assessment of Dubya's time pretty well speaks for itself.

Mike will clarify at some point, I'm sure, but I think he's saying that he hates Clinton for being a hound (thus distracting the people from real issues) and hates Newt for being an egomaniac (thus losing "the path"), but hates the neocons most of all for completely destroying the brand. If any one of the three don't happen, there might still be a legit republican party running around. As it stands, we're pretty much down to fringers and bible thumpers.

No way, dude. I'm moving to New Zealand so I can visit Mordor.

Plenty of room there, most of them have moved here!! :D

Hobbits don't count. Or only count for half, at least.

Oh, advance notice; I will need to close this thread soon, we're running out of 2009!! :)

One of the more cheerful reasons for a thread closing, anyway. I'll be glad to see it go, myself (2009, that is) :)

Back
Top Bottom