General News - Games for Readers

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
At The Wertzone, you can find a list of games and for each of these games, a list of writers. If you like these writers you probably like the game as well. The RPG level is high in this list.

Anachronox
Ion Storm - 2001 - Available from gog.com

Humour in video games can be a hard thing to get right, with many more failures than successes. One of the more interesting successes is Anachronox, a 2001 roleplaying game set in the distant future. Humanity has colonised (alongside various alien races) Anachronox, a floating city made up of rotating sections inside a huge sphere of alien origin. The sphere enables FTL transit across many worlds. Your character, down-on-his-luck private investigator Sly Boots, is drawn into a mystery that starts off small in scale but eventually becomes huge in scope, taking in the fate of the galaxy, alternate realities and a mind-bending number of plot twists.

The humour is absurdly brilliant, taking in everything from satire on detective and SF cliches to riffing off superhero stories and governmental philosophies. It also has some of the craziest ideas to appear in an SF video game, taking in a miniaturised planet that joins your team as a party-member (to the disquiet of everyone you later meet - "Is that a planet floating behind you?") and a fantastically-developed sequence which pays tribute to silent movies by not involving any dialogue at all.

The game has not aged well graphically, but if you can look beyond the surface, one of the richest and most imaginative games in the roleplaying pantheon awaits.

See also: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect trilogy draw more than a little inspiration from this game, but are much more po-faced; Gearbox's Borderlands series also employs a nice line in humour (but not as good as this).

Play if you like: Douglas Adams, Harry Harrison, Terry Pratchett.

More information.

Wow, he sure liked Anachronox. It definitely had some fun humor in it but there was an awful lot of running around, trying to find just the right person to talk with.

Anachronox was and still is one of my favourite. Shame is that it ends with huge cliffhanger and we will never know what will happen next. It was intended as trilogy. I don`t remember if there were general problems of the publisher that killed sequels or it itself didn`t generate enough profit. Anyway I would love to see Anachronox 2 and 3 on Kickstarter some day. If even Shenmue 3 is being made then maybe there is still some hope left :)

I think that is a fun list, a different perspective than the usual 'top 10' style thing as it doesn't try to be authoritative, just interesting ... have played most of these to at least some extent and have a lot that I love about them.

I think there are some other great games in that list as well.

Neat. And I believe that there are more gamers that don't read than readers who don't game, a more interesting prospect is the reversal: Liked this game? Try reading books by these authors!

According to the introduction of the article that has been done already.

Ah, +1 for reading comprehension.

Back
Top Bottom