• 60's

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
After all the discussions on various topics I'm curious as to what age group most of our members belong to. So the vote this week my fellow members is about your age.

0087-11_designing_age_groups_thumbnail.jpg

I'll cast the first vote for the 30's bracket as my first CRPG games were Fallout, and Baldur's Gate. I guess I'm in the minority though so vote away to prove me wrong.;)

Born 1968 and on Twitter I'm Hidden1968 :)

Do you think that no teens are visiting the Watch?

My fist CRPGs were
Temple of Apshai
Wizardry 1
Sword of Fargoal
around 1982.

Last edited:
Well, technically I'm a week younger than you, Couch. Technically. And we grew up with the same games.

But I identify as mid-to-late 20's. (Such a long story). I know that's really odd, but it's the way my life sorta happened and it's how I look and how I act, so...yeah.

Like I said, long story.

Early 30s. I was surprised at how high the average was. Though in a good way. I think that's why there is so little moderation as discussions are by and large mature.

Early 30s. I was surprised at how high the average was. Though in a good way. I think that's why there is so little moderation as discussions are by and large mature.

Yes and because of this moderation in discussions/comments/opinions it's nice to visit forums here on RPGWatch. It's so much different than youtube comments or even PCGamer web. I don't like trolls and those angry teens than can't express themselves in any other way but humiliating others on youtube comments (recently Total Biscuit had to close the comments permanently because of that and boogie2988 gets really nasty comments too). I'm in my mid 30s btw and thanks for making those polls recently couchpotato, it's fun to participate in them.

I'm 29 at the moment, and I grew up with M&M and Realms of Arkania, in addition to quite a few strategy games (Civilization 2, HoMM etc). I think the first RPG that really captivated me was M&M6.

I don't think it's all that surprising. In my age band, 50s, there still seems to be some stigma attached to those who admit to playing computer games. It just kills conversations with my peers dead. I remember the surprise that I got from younger men when they found out I did know and was playing modern RPGs. It made the coffee breaks more interesting. Also the first real CRPGs started coming out in the early 1980s. That's 30 years ago so if you started in your teens then you would be mid-40s now.

My first RPG was Eye of the Beholder on an Amiga 500 Plus. For it's time it was a great game. I moved to the PC because some of the RPG publishers announced that they would not be issuing versions for the Amiga.

I must admit if I want to read something sensible I come to RPGWatch, if I want a laugh then some of the other forums are ok. I think that this reflects the membership of the forums.

Why no teens band? Do we exclude them automatically?

Why no teens band? Do we exclude them automatically?
I had the option added but I don't think we have anyone under the age of 20 as a member. I'll add it back though I will be surprised if one member votes.:)

I joined Watch when I was a teen (right now I'm 20), so I find the lack of option for teens disconcerting. :p But too be honest, I get it if you're not fond of teenage users on Watch. Most of the forums that have a large amount of teenage users usually tend to be full of something that I would call hollow activity.

I was definitely a teenager when I joined RPGDot (predecessor to RPGWatch) quite a few years ago. I think I joined RPGDot somewhere between Gothic and Gothic 2, as I remember dissecting the Gothic 2 beta along with a few others at the Dot. In other words, it was probably about 13 years ago, meaning I was 16 at the time.

Yes and because of this moderation in discussions/comments/opinions it's nice to visit forums here on RPGWatch. It's so much different than youtube comments or even PCGamer web. I don't like trolls and those angry teens than can't express themselves in any other way but humiliating others on youtube comments (recently Total Biscuit had to close the comments permanently because of that and boogie2988 gets really nasty comments too). I'm in my mid 30s btw and thanks for making those polls recently couchpotato, it's fun to participate in them.

It feels like people simply moderate one another and don't take disagreement seriously. Well what's fun too that it doesn't feel like you have to walk on eggshells either, as a community that is nice but where speech is limited is no fun. Perhaps learning to disagree in a collected manner is something people tend to acquire with age?

Early 30's here as well. Which means I narrowly missed some stuff, like SSI's early RPG's.

I still remember when Pong was new, and Asteroids was the hot game in arcades. I spent a lot of time playing asteroids as a boy. I also played D&D during the golden age, early 80s. I have been hooked on gaming for life, and not just video games either by the way, board games too. 45 years old.

One vote for the early 30s group :)

Its kind of cool how accepted older gamers are nowdays. When I was a teenager, gaming was still looked down heavily. Nowdays its almost a hobby like any other.

(Still for some weird reason i won't mention video games in any job interview.)

One vote for the early 30s group :)

Its kind of cool how accepted older gamers are nowdays. When I was a teenager, gaming was still looked down heavily. Nowdays its almost a hobby like any other.

(Still for some weird reason i won't mention video games in any job interview.)

I would say it has improved, but not that much. I think because it's an activity that involves being by yourself making unproductive things and engaging in seemingly pointless activities involving simulated violence, and because it saps away a lot of time, "gamers" will always be frowned upon to some extent.

Though it's not like we have to care what any of those people think.

I am in my late 40s, and have been 'computer gaming' since buying an Apple ][+ when it was new, as well as in arcades. I would say that gaming when I started wasn't so much an age issue ... more about being 'nerd-centric' :)

I thought we were trying to guess the median age, so I picked 40's. I'm actually in the 50 group as of this year though. I've been gaming since there have been home computers. I can't remember which of my computers was first, maybe the Commodor Vic 20, but I'm not positive. I had an apple and an old IBM around then too. The C64 was when I really started getting into it.

I remember thinking when Legacy of the Ancients came out that graphics would NEVER get any better than this :)

http://www.80sdos.com/screens/legacyoftheancients5.png

Back
Top Bottom