Original Sin - The Contemporary Comforts

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GameSpot has a new preview among many others lately for the funded kickstarter Original Sin.
“They just don’t make games like that anymore.” When you first see Divinity: Original Sin, that could very well be your reaction, but you’d be wrong to assume that developer Larian’s upcoming isometric role-playing game is stuck in the past. It certainly might remind you of RPGs of old, such as The Temple of Elemental Evil and, of course, Divine Divinity, the game that originated the series. But based on my time with Original Sin, there’s a poignant cooperative element of choice and consequence in Original Sin that makes it more than just a retread.

It’s hard to say just how well Divinity: Original Sin will capture the essence of Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, the games that directly spawned it. (From a gameplay perspective, Original Sin shares little in common with the troubled Divinity II.) Larian’s fans certainly have faith, however: Larian’s Kickstarter campaign for the game has now closed, earning more than twice the amount of its original goal, and all stretch goals were met. Thus, your companions will have their own backstories and personalities, the music will be fully orchestrated, and there will be more character-defining talents than originally planned. I am cautiously hopeful that Divinity: Original Sin might be, in its own way, just as divine as the game that spawned the series.
More information.

Typical comments (which imho show very much the current state of the RPG genre as such) :

A : "the first 20 seconds I almost fell asleep. I cannot stand turn-based games."
B: "Good for you. Almost every game put out in the last decade has been made for you then. This one is for people that are NOT you for a change. Deal with not being the center of the universe."

A : "Great another tapped on CO-OP game, yeah fun fun. zzZZzZZzz"
B : "Yeah because every other co-op game have game mechanic for you and your friend to disagree with others in-game right? And the ability for 2 of you to be separated halfway across the in-game world and still playable, huh?"
C : "Looks like someone commenting who hasn't looked at any of the video's any of the information anything at all.. typical .. complain complain complain. Please do me a favor and actually look into this before making comments like that."
D : "Honestly, you need to look into games before commenting in such a manner. Yes it's a co-op game, but I doubt that its the type of co-op game that you THINK it is. Have a look at the pre-alpha footage from the other people also invited to play Divinity: Original Sin."
E : "I don't like CO-OP and multiplayer in my RPGs normally but in this case I don't mind. I'm gonna play it single player but those extra layers put in for the CO-OP gameplay will make for a unique single player experience. When did you ever get to roleplay two PCs and have them disagree with eachother before?"

A : "It's better with diablo style"
B : "No."
C : "Then play Diablo… or any of the other million hack 'n slash loot games, and leave turn-based to those whom enjoy it."
D : "Diablo isn't RPG. And no, it wouldn't be better."

@Alrik Fassbauer
I noticed the same trend with the comments as well. They contrast sharply to the views of us 'niche' gamers who aren't looking for FPS_3,896,492 with a new, higher resolution texture set.

I suppose 'samey' games could be released for another 10 years before the current generation of younger mainstream gamers grows up and perhaps finally gets bored with them.

Yes, I agree with you - I often wonder when the point of boredom will be reached. To be honest, I don't see that much variation anymore there. I once wrote about "the PC platform as a dgenerated platform", and I came to this thought mainly because I saw very little variation in games nowadays. The 10.000th hack & slay - RPG clone ? Pfft.

But what still disturbs me is that real gems are often not bought by "the Public" as well. Everyone says what a nice and fine game Drakensang 2 ist - yet nobody bought it. But, okay, I'm biased, so I shouldn't really write this. ;)

It kind of disturbs me when Gems are overlooked and not bought - and years later people come and complain :
"What a nice game this was !"
"Okay, I'll try it out. Do you have any idea where to get it nowadays ?"
"Nope."

And no-one would be able to get it, because it "didn't sell".

And THEN people either start to pirate it - or buy it online, simply because there is no other way to get it.

In Germany, we have a proverb : "To throw pearls before the swine".
Sometimes it seems to me that some people are just not able to distinguish a Perl/Gem from a ... normal thing.

To throw pearls before swine actually comes form the Bible Alrik, so it pre-dates Germany a little!! :)

Ahem, yes ? :biggrin:

Next thing you'll do is digging out an Sumerian proverb, I guess ? :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom