What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Watched Lucy last night with no expectations and ended up being thoroughly entertained.

Reminded me a bit of Hanna. Not because of plot but a great kickass lead female character.

Yes, I've heard about it.

But I don't like what he said about his version of the Prometheus script - and I didn't like Elysium - so I'm not getting my hopes up.

But there's NO WAY it can be worse than Prometheus :)

There's so much untapped potential still left in that hellish creature. But Hollywood is in control, so it's not likely to be tapped any time soon.

There's so much untapped potential still left in that hellish creature. But Hollywood is in control, so it's not likely to be tapped any time soon.

For Hollywood, "untapped potential" and "milking a cow until it is dead" mean the same thing :)

That p2p_client provides nonlegal streams.
Not sure if you should delete it however. For what I know there are efforts to make it legal.

The whole problem is again the movie industry and co called regions. While music industry got rid of that idiocy ages ago, for whatever reason movies industry is still operating in ice age and because of that Hulu, Netflix, Funimation, etc are not available worldwide. Even worldwide legal sites like Crunchyroll are limited, they can stream just some things in your area but not everything.
The level of ignorance of that same stupid industry goes so high that they're unaware of VPNs that can bypass area locks.

But it all comes down to the statement made by a certain Aussie politician.
You want piracy stopped? First allow people to buy something and offer it!

The thing that happened in Canada is there is no place to rent movies any more. Rogers and Blockbuster are both gone for whatever reason. So your choices are to go to the movies, which as a family we do very often and or on demand though our cable company which sucks.

I like odd, strange off the wall movies that we just don't get here because we don't live in a larger City. Also I like movies from other countries besides the USA which is also hard if you are only using your local movie house or on demand.

Netflix Canada is poor at best so here I found Popcorn time. Until I can't use it or I get some notice about it. That is what I will use plus my trips to our local movie house.

I don't know if Hollywood is so controlled or the USA market is so weak of mind. I was just on the phone with my Sister about movies that I watched and 85% she hadn't even heard of.

Don't get me wrong I loved The Avenger movies(etc). Though they really offer nothing more than entertainment. So many more great movies out there but when you are programed to what is to be good then it must be good.

Part of the problem is piracy. People will more readily watch an intellectual drama on their computer or HTPC than they will a new feature with whizbang special effects; and so, studios produce a steady stream of such trash to more reliably pad their coffers.

Prometheus wasn't that bad. It was disappointing for sure, but there have been worse movies associated with the Xenomorph. :)

To each his own, I think it was abysmally bad. As in 3/10 bad.

The only Alien movie that's arguably worse is AvP2 - and that wasn't made by the director of the original Alien - so I didn't expect anything.

To each his own, I think it was abysmally bad. As in 3/10 bad.

The only Alien movie that's arguably worse is AvP2 - and that wasn't made by the director of the original Alien - so I didn't expect anything.

Exactly. Prometheus was extra disappointing because of your expectations. I get that. Remove those expectations though and you can't even pretend it was worse than the AvP movies.

Exactly. Prometheus was extra disappointing because of your expectations. I get that. Remove those expectations though and you can't even pretend it was worse than the AvP movies.

Yes, it was extra disappointing - but it's still a 3/10 movie. I don't let my emotional response to a movie dictate my score for it.

I'm a big script guy, though, and I don't get fascinated by special effects if the movie is shit.

AvP1 is a 4/10 or 5/10 movie. AvP2 is a 2/10 or 3/10 - not sure.

Here's my review:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

You STILL can't accept that people don't agree with you? Amazing.

You seem to be the one taking it personally. But, as usual, you're going to lash out and pretend it's the other person. :)

Funny thing is, you seem to agree that at least AVP2 was even worse.

You seem to be the one taking it personally. But, as usual, you're going to lash out and pretend it's the other person. :)

Funny thing is, you seem to agree that at least AVP2 was even worse.

Yes, yes, the usual response - instead of admitting you don't control opinions :)

The only Alien movie that's arguably worse is AvP2

What could I possibly have meant by that?

AvP2 is shit - but at least it doesn't pretend to be grand and thought-provoking. But it's REALLY shit - so it might be 2/10.

Prometheus discovered a new species of awfulness, previously unimagined by humankind.

Transmission Ends.

Now THAT was a good script you guys had going ... sadly it has seen countless repeats over the years ;)

Let's keep this thread about movies and keep the personal issues out of this.
Removed some stuff to clean it up.

Prometheus wasn't that bad. It was disappointing for sure, but there have been worse movies associated with the Xenomorph. :)

Dunno about you but in my case Prometheus is a top notch material.
Then again, I'm a person who wouldn't go ask a god to make me immortal, sorry, I don't think that death is a bad thing, in fact I find it superb "design". That's of course just me, modern Hollywood is all about plastics, keeping good looks and reaching immortality, and if anything this movie (just like Verhoeven's bugs that kill "perfect" looking people) criticizes it heavily.
Prometheus' main topic, pouring $ into searching for immortality while there are other things out there more important, won't die with this movie.
Beside that it's another title trying to address our possible attitude(s) towards AI and androids.
As such this movie just can't be accepted widely. People will go watch fairy tales where immortality and fountains of youth are "normal" and where AI is like in mainstream games - nonchallenging, easy to kill, and is just used as a sort for making modern slavery possible. But should movies, all movies, be "they all lived happily after"? Shouldn't movies be used as old greek theatre - to question and criticize the society and politics?

Most of my friends think of "the abortion" as the weakest part of Prometheus, unbelievable, outrageous or something. Sorry, it's sci fi and sci fi movies *need* such stuff.
The movie's fatal flaw is no ending. It's still not disappointing it's just not done well. Not sure if it was the bad script not possible to fix later or Cameron's attention got loose.
I loved the movie and just can't wait for Prometheus 2.

If you've had enough of Hollywood's "values", I can't recommend Prometheus enough. It won't change your attitude, but you'll be able to see some things from a perspective different from modern Hollywood.
If you don't want to watch movies that explore stuff in a way you don't expect, I suggest renting any Rambo or better yet, some American Ninja sequel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom