Dragon Age: Inquisition - From Dark Fantasy to High Fantasy

aries100

SasqWatch
Cimeas from Kotaku has written an opinion piece on how he feels that Bioware has turned the Dragon Age into a high fantasy in Dragon Age: Inquisition. He argues that the the
lore in the Dragon Age universe clearly states:

...there would be no humans in Dragon Age of ethnicities which were not present in Europe in larger numbers in the late mediaeval age. As a "POC" myself, I found that to be perfectly reasonable- a game set in 4th century Africa probably shouldn't have white people in it either!In Dragon Age: Inquisition, this entire idea has been completely and absolutely removed. There are now people of all ethnicities in Thedas. As I said, I am not white myself, but this feels out of place. What's more, Bioware, unable to retcon everything about its lore, painstakingly built over the past decade, has decreed that everyone with a skin colour darker than tan (that is to say, Arab/Persian looking, Native American looking, East Asian looking, South Asian looking, Indian looking, and African looking) all have heritage from the one tiny nation in Thedas that is not light-white (Rivain), thus shoehorning all the 'POC' into one little country.
A quote from his conclusion about the world in Dragon Age: Inquistion:

A world made by developers who didn't have a backbone to stand up for what they had created, and capitulated to bizarre internet pressure to build a happy-dappy paradise where good people are good, bad people are bad, and any 'grey' moral conflict can be sorted with a quick check to which faction you signed up to.
More information.

From what I have read it would seem they have tried to make a game that appeals to everyone and when you do this most of the time no one loves it. It is for lack of better words just plain.

I could be wrong, time will tell for myself if I do end up playing it.

Guess I am luck as I love High Fantasy, as well as Epic Fantasy, and so this game is really picking up for me. Personally I adore all the diversity in this game including some nice strong female leads and a lot of different races and view points. I went from a somewhat negative attitude and a lot of reservations and doubts over this game (to the point I almost thought I would not like it) to a complete reversal. So happy to have another fun game to get into besides Skyrim :)

So happy to have another fun game to get into besides Skyrim :)

This is why I am not sold on buying it, never mind playing it. I hated Skyrim, tried two or three times to like it but just couldn't. Though now I am thinking I might now like TW3 now that it is trying to go to a massive open world.

Now I haven't played this so maybe I should stay out of commits on it...

Guess I am luck as I love High Fantasy, as well as Epic Fantasy, and so this game is really picking up for me. Personally I adore all the diversity in this game including some nice strong female leads and a lot of different races and view points. I went from a somewhat negative attitude and a lot of reservations and doubts over this game (to the point I almost thought I would not like it) to a complete reversal. So happy to have another fun game to get into besides Skyrim :)

Amen dude. Amen

Amen dude. Amen

Yep, my exact same reaction. Avoided it like the plague at first, as I had sworn off all things Bioware a few years back. Then, started hearing some promising things about the game including much more freedom to explore (something that's been sorely missing in Bioware games lately). Picked up the game and was initially irked at poor mouse and keyboard controls... played a bit more.. now, I'm completely flipped over to a strong positive on this game. It's pretty incredible and seems to improve as the game progresses.

In fact, it's starting to challenge Divinity: Original Sin now as my favorite RPG of this year, something I REALLY didn't think would happen as I absolutely loved D:OS. Anyway, I'm taking my time with the game and just exploring every little nook and cranny and finding all sorts of neat little stories, etc.

Minor spoilers follow....

Btw, that singer in the Haven tavern has a pretty impressive array of songs. I actually like a few enough that I'm probably going to listen to the soundtrack a bit.

I'm not so sure about this whole framing of the essay as "from Dark Fantasy to High Fantasy".

DA:O and DA2 weren't really what I'd call Dark Fantasy. Simply having two equal choices and having a bad thing happen by ignoring one side doesn't really do enough for me to qualify that as Dark Fantasy. It's more of a Dark Fantasy percentage in a game that is, overall, High Fantasy.

But then calling any installment of DA High Fantasy also does not sit right with me. Yes, the cheesyness is there and, for DA:I the essentially-playing-good-only aspect doesn't bother me too much as that's the path I would likely choose anyway, but what is missing to make it High Fantasy, for me, is the extremely unvaried encounter designs, from NPCs to combat foes.

There's just too many humans. And what isn't human is either common animal, standard Dragon or undead/demon/mutation. There's not that much distinction between DA and countless other fast-moving-zombie games we are currently flooded with. So, for someone who loves Monster Manuals or mythology-inspired-Fantasy, there's not really much to get excited about, the thrills come a different aspect.

So it's incongruous to me to call something High Fantasy when there's very little imagination applied to encounters, no-ones really fantasising here, at least, no-ones having to think out of the box when they make encounters - such as you would a Mind-Flayer, Beholder, Medusa or whatever and what-not.

It is getting worse by the day.

Once again, the collapse between representation and reality.

The lore of Dragon Age is mediocre: a patchwork of various influences woven together by authors who did have not the required originality and imagination to invent a world from scratch.
So they borrowed from various places to try to give out a product with characteristics.

As a result, it translates for some players that:

Ferelden is England or Britain.

Orlais is France.

Antivia is Italy.

Rivain is Spain.

The free marches are the central european states.

Anderfels is Scandinavia.

Nevarra is Germany.

Tevinter is the Bizantine empire.

The dwarves are the Jews.

The Qnari are the Moors.

The dalish travellers are the Irish and the gypsies.

This is getting worse by the day. It appears that some players cant enjoy their games if they cant connect it to reality. They can no longer part what they see in a video game and what they think reality must be.

When speaking of how Thedas is supposed to be Europe in the 14th century, the comparison made is a game set in Africa in 4BC...
In order to maintain the mental construction, the writer cant even dare to compare between an inexistant game set in Africa in the 14th century and how he thinks DA world is the reality.
Which is another point that is missed as, to make their world, the authors also mixed influences from various periods.

Orlais is France.
I'll disagree and say it's Quebec in fact.

In Risen games, I'd say it was Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe, but we don't have islands here.

It's exactly as ChienAboyeur says, a lack of originality/creativity on the part of developers has -in part- led to this. Instead of taking the time to build and flesh out a world and lore of their own, they frankenstein together various bits and pieces from real world history. This is why Morrowind stands out so much, and why its sequels -in terms of lore, and setting- pale in comparison.

If a significant number of players feel comfortable comparing a non-historical fantasy games lore and setting to real world equivalents, the developers haven't put in any where near enough time towards their development.

Still, it takes a certain quality of stupid to complain about a lack of realism in a game featuring dragons, elves, and magic. Demons, undead, and golems, not a problem. Female knights and political leaders, works for me. A race retconned to have horns on their heads, peachy. A few brown people? Oh god, how immersion breaking!

Worrying over nonsense like this, instead of focusing on the quality of the narrative, lore, world....

I'll disagree and say it's Quebec in fact.

Quebec does not fit the picture painted by the author of the article: it was yet to be discovered by European people in the 14th century.

The change in tone I notice most in DA is that Thedas has lost much of its whimsy since the first game. I haven't yet run into the equivalent of a nun who sings hymns to various kinds of vegetable, and even Varric is much less of a joker than he was.

I'm quite confused by this article's use of "high fantasy" and "dark fantasy" to refer almost exclusively to race and ethnicity, which have nothing to do with how I've ever used either term.

…there would be no humans in Dragon Age of ethnicities which were not present in Europe in larger numbers in the late mediaeval age. As a "POC" myself, I found that to be perfectly reasonable- a game set in 4th century Africa probably shouldn't have white people in it either!

Except that no-one actually DOES games set in 4th century Africa … :(
Why ? Racism ?

Quebec does not fit the picture painted by the author of the article: it was yet to be discovered by European people in the 14th century.

History?
You mean there were darkspawn and dragons in 14th century... Sure.

NPC behavior is what fits Quebec.

Why ? Racism ?

Noooooo, hold your horses there sonny jim.

If you take the angle of the writer of the article, for a white person to write a game about black people in 4th Century southern Africa, then you would likely end up with a racist product, because it would be a white projecting a black image. And this is where I agree with him.

Are there black people who have 4th century southern African games that they want made? Possibly. Is it racist that publishers don't make their game? Possibly, but not in a specific sense, just in a rational sense - they can't subsidise a game from every corner of the globe, they have to limit their production to rational output.

The rational output is based on what they perceive as demand. So is the perceived demand a racist decision? Not really, it's basic conservatism, being as risk-free as possible. No-one's tried yet, so no-one knows, so it's a risk.

Is the actual demand racist? Perhaps on a subconscious level, in that perhaps if people saw a game with just black people in it then they might meta-assume the game was not "marketed" at them and not buy it for that reason.

Would people in black southern Africa buy the game? What's the PC ownership like there and what's their gaming culture like? would it represent a profit? Are they demanding a 4th century southern African game there? etc etc.

Myself, as someone who loves variety, would love to see such a game, but, as someone who's a realist, I don't necessarily view absence as direct racism. After all, could black southern Africans be as equally insulted by an African American's take on their history as they would a white guy?

If someone did make such a game and it was shit, would you feel racist for thinking it was shit?

History?
You mean there were darkspawn and dragons in 14th century… Sure.

The article reads that Orlais is France for some reasons that are explained in it.
Cant be Québec under those conditions.

Why ? Racism ?

This is a good point. Something like the Aksumite Empire, contemporaneous with the Romans, would be an excellent fantasy setting.

Palaces, temples, centre of east/west trade, warrior queens and The Queen of Sheba, mythological resting place of the Ark of the Covenant - and when was the last time you saw it represented anywhere?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom