Elder Scrolls Online - Recent Account Bans

Tolknaz

I don't play MMO-s, so the subject of ESO only interests me as far as the future of Bethesda is concerned. I think at this point it's pretty safe to say, that while the experiment isn't quite TORTanic for Bethesda, it's very far from being a success too. I could have called it from the beginning. They just don't have the things in their dna, that would make them a successful MMO developer. If they keep at it (and they certainly have the resources to do so), maybe their next try will be better, but i predict ESO to become free to play before long.

Especially that ESO was ZeniMax's first go at an MMO.

I don't play MMO-s, so the subject of ESO only interests me as far as the future of Bethesda is concerned. I think at this point it's pretty safe to say, that while the experiment isn't quite TORTanic for Bethesda, it's very far from being a success too. I could have called it from the beginning. They just don't have the things in their dna, that would make them a successful MMO developer. If they keep at it (and they certainly have the resources to do so), maybe their next try will be better, but i predict ESO to become free to play before long.

Any figures to support that point of view?

Dealing with certain issues like banning cheaters is not what makes a successful MMO from the selling side's point of view.

As such, some will appreciate the effort for banning cheaters, others wont etc.

It is a failure if it destroys sales potential etc...

So any figures on how bad this games sold?

Any figures to support that point of view?

Dealing with certain issues like banning cheaters is not what makes a successful MMO from the selling side's point of view.

As such, some will appreciate the effort for banning cheaters, others wont etc.

It is a failure if it destroys sales potential etc…

So any figures on how bad this games sold?

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70799/the-elder-scrolls-online/Global/

Oh wow, the start is so much worse than even i feared. These are the retail sales numbers so far according to vgcharts. While i think it's safe to assume, that this is one of the games, that sells much more digitally than through the retail (And will probably do much better on consoles due to the lack of competition there), this is still an epic failure so far.
Furthermore, the critics really seem to hate this game so far.

I think the primary thing I took away from that Angry Joe review is that "Zenimax Online" will soon be getting restructured, ie. downsized. Seven years in development, a $200 million budget, and the result is just so very halfass that it's laughable.

But at least the CGI trailers are pretty! …

I can't say critics hate the game, it's more like a consensus it could/should have been better.
Even Gamespot's review is not forgiving and we know they always review a publisher or the money "donated", not a product:
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/1900-6415741/

I don't believe all those issues can't be fixed or improved, but I seriously doubt that will happen soon. There is no modding community that will do their job.

I can't say critics hate the game, it's more like a consensus it could/should have been better

Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. Not a bad game. Just not a very good one. It's hard to believe but ZeniMax have managed to fuck up a multiplayer part of an MMO!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. Not a bad game. Just not a very good one.

IMO, that quote could be laid at the feet of every MMO that isn't EQ1, EQ2, or Vanguard. The rest just pale in comparison, these 3 were actually quite good and required skills to master. All 3, at inception, also had serious consequences for dying, which I think is an integral part of any decent mmo.

EQ2 is alive and well, at least on several servers. SOE is doing a huge migration Tuesday night, which should also include new content for EQ 2 as well as the long talked about all access plan for every SOE game. I expect the entire system to be down for quite a while to get it all done.

While I don't think ESO could ever be a smash hit, I think it would be wise to see the reaction from console gamers before writing it off as a failure. That market is all but untouched when it comes to MMOs - and we're not talking a small number of potentially interested players.

But the game doesn't appeal to the casual audience - and they've been quite bold in designing it around heavy lore and quest dialogue which - while optional - do make up the vast majority of the leveling experience.

Not sure if they expected the masses to latch on to that, and they'd be fools to do so.

But, no, I don't see it being a big hit even with consoles taken into account. It's just not a flashy or sexy game.

That said, I never expected SWtOR to be a big hit in the long-term - but it seems they've turned that around quite successfully. The fact that a game with a broken engine and the omission of a huge part of the original marketing campaign (meaningful world PvP) can still flourish - is a testament to the power a setting can hold.

ESO is a much better game overall, in my opinion - but it remains to be seen if the appeal of the setting is enough to keep players not into reading and immersion-based games.

The funny thing about F2P - is that while it'll probably make it much more successful in the long-term, it will also make the game worse. This is the irony of the gamer psychology - because it's not about the game being good or bad, it's about perception.

Most people can like something much easier if they think they're going to like it. Whether it's actually good or bad, is less relevant than you'd think.

But the game doesn't appeal to the casual audience - and they've been quite bold in designing it around heavy lore and quest dialogue which - while optional - do make up the vast majority of the leveling experience.

Not sure if they expected the masses to latch on to that, and they'd be fools to do so.

Yes, and they've also been fairly bold in terms of balancing. I've encountered several rather challenging solo quests (quests that are instanced and has to be completed solo). I'm a bit surprised by that to be honest, as it's bound to cause a bit of stir here and there.

It will be interesting to see which direction the game takes in a few months.

I plan on playing TESO once they've formally announced TES VI. By that time it will be gone or quite stable :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom