Skyrim - Named Game of The Generation

Yeah, when Pacman was hailed as a great game - evolution basically stopped :)

I should have added "made by Bethesda" :)

As far as I am concerned, their best game was Morrowind (now I might vote for this as the best game of the generation!) then they did Oblivion ..., SKyrim is an improvement upon Oblivion but its still not good as Morrowind...

I should have added "made by Bethesda" :)

As far as I am concerned, their best game was Morrowind (now I might vote for this as the best game of the generation!) then they did Oblivion …, SKyrim is an improvement upon Oblivion but its still not good as Morrowind…

I think it's far better than Morrowind, and - clearly - my opinion matters a hell of a lot more than yours ;)

Nah, it appeared you were being irrational :)

If you're rational, you'll realise that even the worst games on this planet have SOMETHING to like. Even if it's just the fact that they end ;)

I didn't get far enough to see it end though... does it acctually end at all, given how much time some people put into it? and considering how generic the content is... I mean it would be possible with todays computers to create an infinite world with that level of generic content.

Anyway okay okay, let me try, I like the fact that the world is not flat, there are a lot of height differences and mountains and such. There at least I could think of one thing.....

I didn't get far enough to see it end though… does it acctually end at all, given how much time some people put into it? and considering how generic the content is… I mean it would be possible with todays computers to create an infinite world with that level of generic content.

Anyway okay okay, let me try, I like the fact that the world is not flat, there are a lot of height differences and mountains and such. There at least I could think of one thing…..

I told you ;)

They certainly help, especially with mechanics and UI - but the heart of the experience is 100% Bethesda.

Also, though SkyUI is fantastic - the weight of negative opinions related to the console inspired UI of vanilla is ridiculously overblown.

In my opinion, anyway.

It wasn't overblown in my case. Giving the type of person I am I can assure you I would have stopped playing if I had to put up with the vanilla UI.

Obviously modders don't make the game but they can make you're experience. Every time I found something I didn't like about skyrim I found a mod to fix it.

How long would I have played if I couldn't do that? Impossible to say but I would assume it would be significantly less.

It's kinda like a sundae. Vanilla ice cream is fine but once you throw that toppings on its much better despite still being mostly vanilla ice cream.

It wasn't overblown in my case. Giving the type of person I am I can assure you I would have stopped playing if I had to put up with the vanilla UI.

Obviously modders don't make the game but they can make you're experience. Every time I found something I didn't like about skyrim I found a mod to fix it.

How long would I have played if I couldn't do that? Impossible to say but I would assume it would be significantly less.

It's kinda like a sundae. Vanilla ice cream is fine but once you throw that toppings on its much better despite still being mostly vanilla ice cream.

Sure, but would you rather have toppings without icecream or icecream without toppings?

Sure, but I can't remember the last time I scooped up a bowl of vanilla without toppings.:)

I think you get my point, though :)

Mods are toppings, cool, I can dig it. But they're not the icecream. That's all I'm saying.

Skyrim was a good RPG but certainly not even game of the year much less Game of the Generation.

Meh for me it's a decent game but forgettable.
As with all other Elder scrolls games what makes it great is the mods.

Mods are toppings, cool, I can dig it. But they're not the icecream. That's all I'm saying.

Well for me the mods are the icecream, the games are just a nice framework :p

I got bored of any of the TES games under 20 hours without mods, played them hundreds of hours with mods lol.
I suppose Skyrim is a bit better vanilla than oblivion but still.
That's kinda the beauty of the games though there's tons of people willing to fix the flaws of bethesda.

Exception being Daggerfall i just loved it back then but there's probably alot of rose colour in that view now.

I played it for 272 hours before installing any mods. SkyUI makes the biggest difference and then all the other mods are to tweak things that I "personally" thought could be improved. Companion Vilja, increased destruction damage, etc.
I'm sure D'Art's list of mods is nearly 100% different than mine but I love that we each can tweak to our hearts content.

The only way I see Skyrim really being the "Game of the Generation" is in its supreme mod-friendly creation. Bethesda is king when it comes to allowing other people to "make whatever you want". I know some little girls cry because this allows some bugs to also make it through, but I'll take the bugs to have the modding.

Except of those cases where bugs impede modding...

Skyrim was a good RPG but certainly not even game of the year much less Game of the Generation.

So what was the game of 2011? The only one that comes to my mind is Skyrim. It is without a doubt game of the year at least.

Whoever said they can't think of one good thing about Skyrim should work for Fox News. Make big stupid statements and hope they stick. At the very least it is one of the best exploration games ever made.

So what was the game of 2011? The only one that comes to my mind is Skyrim. It is without a doubt game of the year at least.

Heres a list of games released in 2011.
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?sort=moviemeter,asc&title_type=game&year=2011

While I liked Skyrim, I preferred these to it:

Deus Ex: HR
LotR: War In The North

So Skyrim is the #3 game for me released that year that I played.

I still haven't played Portal 2 and a few others on there that are popular.

Yeah, I get it.:)

My praise for mods is not to the detriment of Bethesda, I think they did a great job with skyrim.

Mods are definitely the icing on the cake. This threads making me hungry.:lol:

Every time someone praises Skyrim, I feel like the little kid in the "Emperor's New Clothes" story.

If a game isn't good without mods then it isn't a good game. Bethesda clearly does not make good games.

Back
Top Bottom