Fable 3 - On Steam at Launch

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Microsoft sent out news that Fable 3 will be on Steam at launch, which I would assume is a first for Microsoft:
Fable III for Windows to be available via Steam at Launch
Choice has always played an important role in the world of “Fable,” and PC fans will have even more choices than ever, without the consequence. Microsoft Game Studios and Lionhead are happy to announce that “Fable III” for Windows will be available through Valve Corporation’s Steam distribution platform, in addition to Games for Windows Marketplace and in retail stores simultaneously.

“Fable III” will be available for pre-order on both Steam and Games for Windows Marketplace starting 21 April. Fans who pre-order through Games for Windows Marketplace will receive “Fable: Lost Chapters” – the start of the Fable saga - for free! And those who purchase on Steam will receive the Rebel's Weapon & Tattoo Pack, a collection of four exclusive weapons and five exclusive tattoo sets to customize their rebel hero.

Fans can also purchase the game in all three locations at launch on 20 May for £34.99 (ERP).

No matter how players decide to purchase “Fable III,” they will have access to the same exciting content as Xbox 360 players, including riveting Game Add-ons like Traitor’s Keep, in addition to new features like a more challenging “Hardcore” mode and 3-D functionality.

Happy ruling!
Since we've had some Steam discussions recently, I'll just point out this is a press release sent to us.
More information.

There were other steam releases also that required you to be logged onto steam and still you have to use Games for Windows.Nothing new anyone remember dawn of war 2.

You misunderstand: how many Microsoft games are on Steam? Not other games that use GfWL and Steam but games published by Microsoft?

Really dont know or care about how many Microsoft games are available on steam. I was taking mostly about GFWL used with steam. Meaning you had to use GFWL and steam together. I dont use steam as I said before but i recall a few games used both.

You point out that other games have used both Steam and GfWL - which we all know - but you don't care that Microsoft is launching with a rival distributor who will compete directly with GfWL for sales? That's the only thing of interest here, you know.

You point out that other games have used both Steam and GfWL - which we all know - but you don't care that Microsoft is launching with a rival distributor who will compete directly with GfWL for sales? That's the only thing of interest here, you know.

Especially interesting since we are only a few months past Microsoft's much balllyhood 'relaunch' of GfWL ... which was as much of a failure as the first try ...

It's a pretty stunning concession really. Supposedly Windows 8 will have GFWL marketplace built in, so they're not giving up.

Especially interesting since we are only a few months past Microsoft's much balllyhood 'relaunch' of GfWL … which was as much of a failure as the first try …

It is really astonishing that they are unable to produce a good steam alternative. It isn't so complicated. They just have to clone the damn thing and add a few ideas of their own. It can't be so difficult to hire a few people who actually understand what they are doing. Hell, they should just put someone in charge who uses steam privately.

They tackle Fable I to it ? Well, I think they should have rather used Fable II ...

Fable I ist still being sold here for 15 Euros ... Microsoft just doesn't want to lower the price even after 3 Millennia ...

It is really astonishing that they are unable to produce a good steam alternative. It isn't so complicated. They just have to clone the damn thing and add a few ideas of their own. It can't be so difficult to hire a few people who actually understand what they are doing. Hell, they should just put someone in charge who uses steam privately.

Especially since they did a fantastic job with Xbox Live. They should be able to produce that on PC.

Man, each day I'm getting more and more excited about this game…
If I don't buy it I'll probably die instantly just as all other ignorant fools who don't want to play this greatest game ever!

GFWL is Xbox Live on PC, that's the problem with it.

The problem is deeper - because every time you touch GfWL, you feel like you are being sold and manipulated and pushed to get an XBOX instead of a PC ...

Microsoft is smart in that they are following the money. They get $10 for *EVERY* X360 game sold ... for PC games they get nothing.

Do they get anything from the indie games being sold on Xbox?

I agree as well now that I've come to the thought of MS wanting to embrace the Pc platform completely for their "needs" ... (Aka transforming the PC platform into an additional xbox platform.)

The reason behind Steam's success is that the biggest first person shooter multiplayer hits of the last decade, Counterstrike and the Call of Duty series, are tied to the Steam platform (and the ties between the multiplayer community and Steam will get stronger with DOTA2).

There is no way that Microsoft could ever have bested Steam in this regard and taken over part of their customer base. Because they simply lacked a big PC multiplayer title. They never, despite their attempts, had a real "killer app" for GfWL, unlike Impulse's Stardock titles and Gamersgate's Paradox games (before their split).

The only possible niche I see for them is in providing a service built into Windows for the "computer illiterate" to try out and buy games with minimal effort.

Back
Top Bottom