System Shock Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
System Shock
Before Dead Space, before Bioshock, there was System Shock. I believe most who are familiar with the name played System Shock 2, but I just finished System Shock 1 that started it all 1994. The question is as always, is this a title best kept in ignorant nostalgia, or is it a gem that still shines bright?

Story
System Shock is a game from the cyberpunk genré. You play as an unnamed hacker (you name yourself) who manages to tap into the database of the spacestation known as Citadel station. However, you are caught and you are brought over to the station, where a man called Edward Diego offers you a job instead of punishment. You are to make changes to the stations AI, such as remove all ethical restrictions from it, and he even offers you a neuro-implant as a reward. Well, said and done, you make the modifications, and you are sent into a surgery that send you into a 6 month coma. Meantime, the now unrestrained AI reconsider her priorities. As you wake up all hell is loose on the ship. Already within the medical facility, where you wake up, you encounter the first mutants who you probably strike down with your iron bar. You must now struggle yourself to find out what have happened to everyone aboard, where on this spacestation is Diego and who/what is Shodan anyway?

systemshock1.gif

images borrowed from mobygames

The story in System Shock is told primarily though logs and e-mails. Throughout the station you will find numerous logs from employees. These logs are excellently voiceacted and they help to build up the story. These logs is actually one of the best aspects of the game as they add both mystery and emotion to the story, while containing hints on what you must do to carry on. Whenever you find something you cannot open, a keypad that you lack the code for, you go back to listen to all logs and and you might get a clue. There's also incoming e-mails that pop up as you make progress, sometimes sent from Shodan herself just to taunt you.

This way to build up a story, mystery and gameplay at the same time, was very innovative at the time, and still today there are few games that manages to utilize it fully.

systemshock3.gif

Engine: Graphics & Sound
System Shock is a 3d game from 1994. For those not familiar with this era, this is one year after the original DOOM. First I have to let you know that I do not particulary enjoy 3d graphics from back then. It's often so limited that you can barely distinguish what you are supposed to see on screen. System Shock put a lot of use of textures to solve this, almost every map have a unique look to it and you can almost be able to track the level without using the minimap. Still, it breaks down some of the immersion when all rooms tend to look the same, using a few low polygon furniture that can sometimes be difficult to identify as furniture.

Monsters are in 2d, but that doesn't help much. Part of the problem is that they are prerendered in 3d, which doesn't highlight detail as much as handcrafted images. Most of the monsters to me were little but globs of pixels. There are a lot of monsters, but I found it difficult to care for the difference.

systemshock4.gif

The music spans from catchy to annoying, sometimes clips used in the music can be confused for nearby monsters, and often you hear sounds that sound just like garbled noise. But then there's the "logs". The game should definitely be played in the CD version, because the voice acting is brilliant and really add to the game.

Gameplay
I played the game on default setting, which means every setting such as difficulty, puzzles etc set at "2".

By the screenshots one would guess SS is a form of first-person shooter, but it doesn't follow convential shooters. Instead of turning and shooting, you aim is free, controlled with the cursor, while you move with the keyboard. That means you can shoot something in the upper left corner without actually turning. The keymap is ancient and doesn't follow the conventional WASD setup, which can be a serious frustration, especially without mouseaim. Even towards the end of the game I was still leaning instead of turning, just because lean is where turn should be. Having said that, you will probably get used to it after a level or two. With the great amount of keys to keep track of, the keymap made sense to me.

Beyond that, SS have a lot of inventory management. You have two bars to keep track on, your health and your energy. Energy is used for shields as well as your other equipment such as your headlight or your levitating boots. Your special items can be upgraded throughout the game, finding a better map system that displays monsters, a better shield that protects more damage etc. You will find healthpacks and batteries, but you have a limited inventory so you might want to store excess ones somewhere. You will also find plenty of boosters, that give temporary good effects but often comes with a hangover that gives you penalties. There are also several different types of grenades and plenty of unique weapons. I particulary liked the idea of the SPARQ gun, and it's improved versions. This gun consumes energy rather than ammunition, and can be scaled up and down. In the lowest setting, you consume less energy, do less damage and cause very little heat. In the highest setting, you consume a lot of energy, do a lot of damage, and there's a great chance the gun will overheat in a couple of shots. An innovative weapon that I haven't seen in other games.

If you decide to play this game, don't do what I did; hoard ammo. There's plenty of ammo around, especially if you loot all kills. At the end of the game I could finish the entire last level using the best weapon in the game since I had so much ammo for it. I had that because I had been saving ammo as much as possible, trying to use the SPARQ that consumes restoreable energy rather than ammo, or the pistol that is extremely weak. But even if you do not use weak weapons, SS is an extremely difficult game. You have shields, but they consume your limited energybar really quickly so you are likely to have it turned off most of the time. But without shields, walking into a new area often end you up dead before even seeing what hit you.

Besides the regular game, there's also a cyberspace mode in which you enter a weird 3d-world, shooting floating demons, collecting rotating boxes with software updates etc. The purpose of cyberspace is that you can go in there to unlock doors that are locked in ther real world. You are essentially "hacking" into the system. I didn't care much about this mode since it was difficult to control and frankly looked rather poor, but I wouldn't mind to see a similar system in newer games.

systemshock2.gif

Final Verdict
System Shock is a 15 year old game, and as a such it looks terrible by todays standard. That would be fine, if it didn't also make the game confusing to play. It's also a really hardcore game and you are likely to see the game over animation often if you decide to run the game at diff 2 as I did. I promised myself I should finish the game once, just to find out what it was about, but SS could benefit greatly from a remake or engine enhancement (I ran with a 1280x1024 hack). Beneath the graphics there's a real cool story and plenty of innovative ideas that I haven't seen in later games. Having said that, I can't really recommend SS to everyone, beyond those who really want to find out what the original was about, those who are interested in gaming history and those who can stretch themselves to see past the age. I would, however, be able to recommend the sequel to everyone (System Shock 2), a game that I consider to be one of the best games ever made, but if you then play SS1 first, you will get more out of SS2.

Last edited:
It's a shame that you think that, because you couldn't be much more wrong.

It's a shame that you think that, and couldn't even provide an argument for why you are right.

Since we're so good at not presenting arguments, I'm going to have to agree with JDR :)

You're wrong, Jemy :)

I think I had enough of you two in the other thread.

Hehe :)

Well, actually - you're sort of half-right.

I don't think many today could live with the interface and graphics of SS1 - but with that said, I'm not sure it'd be a game for you even 15 years ago.

It was always challenging, and it was never about being visually pleasing. It's a game that allows you to explore a consistently designed space station - trying to figure out what the hell happened, and introducing possibly the best written villain of any computer game in a very plausible fashion - considering it's an AI. If you don't appreciate the story and how the logs don't necessarily force-feed your objectives - and especially the antagonist, you simply won't find it a game for your tastes - no matter how good it looks.

I don't think many today could live with the interface and graphics of SS1 - but with that said, I'm not sure it'd be a game for you even 15 years ago.

It's evident that you do not know me, or my gaming history.

It was always challenging, and it was never about being visually pleasing. It's a game that allows you to explore a consistently designed space station - trying to figure out what the hell happened, and introducing possibly the best written villain of any computer game in a very plausible fashion - considering it's an AI. If you don't appreciate the story and how the logs don't necessarily force-feed your objectives - and especially the antagonist, you simply won't find it a game for your tastes - no matter how good it looks.

I gave credit to all those points.

Please point out your credit, because I can't find it - I'm copying your post to study it. Except for praising the logs, that is.

"Beneath the ugliness there's a real cool story and plenty of innovative ideas that I haven't seen in later games."

"Beneath the ugliness there's a real cool story and plenty of innovative ideas that I haven't seen in later games."

That doesn't mention the consistent level design or the antagonist - however. In fact, you're just saying "innovative" ideas which is so vague - one can't possibly know what you're referring to.

That doesn't mention the consistent level design or the antagonist - however. In fact, you're just saying "innovative" ideas which is so vague - one can't possibly know what you're referring to.

I write my minireviews within 5 minutes from finishing a game, often without much thought.

"where on this spacestation is Edward Diego and who/what is Shodan anyway?"

Yes, Shodan might be one of the most unique and twisted computergame villains of all time. But I wrote that as a teaser. I post my minireviews on multiple forums and didn't want to write a spoiler, if people who read my review decide to play SS or SS2 for the first time.

"System Shock put a lot of use of textures to solve this, almost every map have a unique look to it and you can almost be able to track the level without using the minimap."

I write my minireviews within 5 minutes from finishing a game, often without much thought.

"where on this spacestation is Edward Diego and who/what is Shodan anyway?"

I wrote that as a teaser. I post my minireviews on multiple forums and didn't want to write a spoiler, if people who read my review decide to play SS or SS2 for the first time.

"System Shock put a lot of use of textures to solve this, almost every map have a unique look to it and you can almost be able to track the level without using the minimap."

Well, in my opinion, that's not the same thing as giving credit to these things - because it's quite vague and obviously not something you personally care so much about.

In any case, my point stands.

It was never about being visually pleasing and it was ALWAYS challenging. The interface was very complex, even back then.

I personally think you're overexaggerating when you say each room spells death, but it DOES carry an element of risk which is either something you like or don't like.

You can't get past the visuals and you didn't enjoy the game. I see little that would have changed your mind back in the day, but maybe I'm wrong :)

It's ok - we're all different and we all like different things.

In any case, my point stands.

Only point you made is that my abstract appreciation of some of the games aspect didn't pay proper credit to all the übersomeness you remember.

It was never about being visually pleasing

I disagree. 1993, when DOOM was still new, all 3d games had to offer was dungeons and pits of lava. Maps back then barely looked remotely like actual places. Compared to other games from 1994, SS sticks out as one of the best looking 3d games of that era.

I personally think you're overexaggerating when you say each room spells death, but it DOES carry an element of risk which is either something you like or don't like.

I overexaggerated, but I was exaggerating just to make a point about how deadly the game is. I was hoarding medkits and batteries though, so I was often at 33% health or less. The security 1 bots kill you in 1-2 shots then, unless you have shield up, which you probably won't.

Geez, ladies, take 2 Midol and call us in the morning.

But I'm calm as the Pacific ;)

By the way, SS1 was specifically criticised for NOT being pretty like Doom. I clearly remember people looking down upon it for that specific reason.

But I agree, I think it looked great back then. Different, but great. Most people didn't - or so I seem to remember disagreeing with.

I have absolutely no problem with the graphics in SS, and it only takes me a few minutes to adjust to them. It's still easy, even today, to see the brilliance of that game. Well for some of us I guess....

I have absolutely no problem with the graphics in SS, and it only takes me a few minutes to adjust to them. It's still easy, even today, to see the brilliance of that game. Well for some of us I guess....

Yeah, nostalgia is a great illusion.

To some people perhaps, except that I didn't play SS for the first time until about 2 years ago.

Thinking you know something when you don't is an even better illusion. :thumbsup:

Even rith acknowledged that the game doesn't look good, even with the highest graphical setting. If you still think it does you are a real illusionist. As far as the rest of the game goes, yes there's alot of brilliance under the mud.

Even rith acknowledged that the game doesn't look good, even with the highest graphical setting. If you still think it does you are a real illusionist. As far as the rest of the game goes, yes there's alot of brilliance under the mud.

When all else fails, fall back on what someone else said.... as if that solidifies your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom