Risen 2 - Now Available on GOG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG.com is now selling Risen 2 Gold Edition for $11.99. The game contains all the DLC so it's the perfect time to finally buy the game. Thank you for the link SpoonFULL.
Release: Risen 2: The Dark Waters - Gold Edition

Risen 2: The Dark Waters - Gold Edition, the pirate-themed open-world action-RPG from Piranha Bytes—the makers of Gothic—complete with all the expansions: Treasure Isle, Air Temple, and A Pirate's Clothes, is available 60% off on GOG.com. That's only $11.99 for the next 48 hours! You can also get the standard edition, without the expansions, for just $7.99.
More information.

Last edited:
I haven't played this game and am curious, as the price and DRM free isn't bad. I liked the Gothic series for the most part, and Risen wasn't bad either. Has anyone played this one?

We all played this one, I loved it, some others didn't.
And I've rebought the full edition on GOG since I have the "impaired" version on Steam. ;)

It's only sin is that it's not an epic game like Gothics were. They ask now only $12 for it and your sin is if you don't buy it on that price. :)

Check the Risen 2 forums for some direct impressions from Watchers. The game generated some interesting discussion. There's also an honor thread to record your characters deeds should you complete the game. It'd be good to see more members participate in these threads. :) (That goes for Divine Divinity as well)

My main initial hurdle was the distinct changes to the melee system as compared to the original game, but it is something one can adjust to over time. Whilst I felt the experience was inferior overall to Risen, I still had a fun time with the game and it steadily improved story wise the more I stuck with it.

If you like pirate themes and concepts and enjoy PB's games, plus a little bit of bawdy expletive laden humor, by all means check it out! :) (F*** yes!)

This thread reminds me that I must check out the Voodoo path one of these days...

I haven't played this yet I bought it in a steam sale and its buried pretty far down my backlog list.

Played the demo though and wasn't impressed at all but that was a very small sample size.

I played it, got about half way through and got bored, it's not as good as the first one or the Gothic games. It all right though.

Daniel.

Thanks I checked out the forum and I will be picking this one up.

If you liked Risen then you will probably like Risen 2.

Once you are out of the initial start of the game and re-interpret the attributes and stat nomenclature the game feels a lot like Risen.

Although I prefer large contiguous landmasses to explore in games like these, most of the islands in Risen 2 feel large enough to get lost in for a time.

Combat isn't as good as in Risen, but personally I'm less interested in combat and I focus more on questing, exploration, discovery and so on. That's just me and in that department Risen 2 is great.

I really didn't like the voodoo magic concept (though many here at the watch disagree with that so keep an open mind) so I didn't go that route choosing instead to use muskets and other weaponry which while not all that exciting, gets the job done and makes you feel powerful in the last 1/3 of the game.

In comparison, I think overall I liked Risen 1 more, but the margin is small and the reasons somewhat petty which for me are:

*I like a large and (mostly) contiguous landmass as opposed to smaller islands

*While the pirate setting is ok (as done by PB) and I can get into it, I really like a gothic-y setting more. It can be argued that G2 had minor pirate-y things going on in them, however it was not the main theme of the game. I did enjoy the pirate-y aspects of G2 however.

*I disliked voodoo magic and longed for traditional magic a-la Risen/Gothic - well more like Gothic really

*There were too many follow-the-NPC encounters in Risen 2 where the NPC travelled vast distances - I didn't like this due to my OCD way of methodically exploring a game versus following an NPC willy-nilly through huge swaths of game-world before I've had a chance to properly scour it.

*I don't like the red-ish/orange-ish pallet used in certain areas of the game - I think because this always reminds me of U8 - Pagan - my least favorite Ultima (ok this, I admit, is a VERY petty thing on my part)

Very underrated game. I loved the setting and atmosphere.

In fact, it might even be my favorite Piranha Bytes game when it comes to the setting. It has the most realistic island-type areas I've seen in a game up to this point. Some of the beaches even reminded me of real-life places I've been to.

The exploration isn't quite as good as previous PB games though, and the magic system could have used more variety.

This game was really disappointing in certain aspects. The pirate theme is one of them sadly. While I liked the general atmosphere, there are not many "piraty" things to to. You can't plunder. you can't sale the ships, the monkey and parrot are silly and rarely useful. The clothing was the most stand out thing about pirates imo. On my 1st and only playthrough I went with the musket tree and the game got too easy too fast.

Decent game for normal standards but it can't really hold a candle to the old Gothic games.

I loved the setting, the exploration and design of the larger islands. Had good fun solving some quests using voodoo. I disliked the guns and didn't use them at all. The final fight was kind of OK, but definitely better than Risen 1 that felt very arcade-y.

My main problem with Risen 2 was that you have to start as a member of the Inquisition, no matter what you did in Risen 1. That killed immersion for me immediately. I just din't want my character to be part of them. So I just quit the game and didn't touch it for some month.
I've then played it because I hadn't anything else. The game was ok, 6.5/10. I missed fireballs and actual magic.

That was a quick 48 hours. It is showing as $30 now.

Back
Top Bottom