Subprime crisis extends to middle earth

Benedict

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Article

Hobbits hit by subprime crisisThe Shire - the verdant, pastoral home of the Hobbits in Lord Of The Rings - has survived many things. Marauding Nazgûl, evil wizards, treacherous Hobbits and a massive campaign of industrialisation all failed to destroy the halflings' rural idyll. But where Ringwraiths and ruffians fell short, another, more powerful evil has triumphed... namely, the massive slump in the American real-estate market.

'Watch out for bailiffs, lads.'

As a result of plummeting property prices, The Shire - a development in Bend, Oregon that was modeled after Tolkien's descriptions of hobbit houses - has been hit with a foreclosure notice. Astonishingly, it turns out that in these troubled economic times, the hobbit-wannabe market isn't quite as lucrative as the developers thought.

The dearth of fantasy fans willing to pay $899,000 to live in a mock hobbit-hole in the Pacific Northwest is blow for the project's mastermind, non-hobbit Ron Myers. 'It basically destroyed my life financially, but that’s the price of a dream,' he told the Bend Bulletin.

It's not clear if the project's collapse was down to the general undesirability of a hobbit hole as a residence, or if it was in fact a result of their failure to be hobbity enough. Several wise souls in the MetaFilter comment thread have issues with the design - a selection of quotes includes 'hideous McMansions with dopey hobbit trim'; 'Artificial thatch? WTF?'; '...it's green paint and a brass knob in the EXACT middle! Could Tolkien have been any clearer?'; and, succinctly, 'I hate Bend.'

Only in America, and only on the left coast, could someone seriously believe he could sell hobbit holes for $900K a pop. Hobbits are simple people with fur between their toes--not Gucci-wearing millionaires. ;)

I would say that I was shocked by that article, but sadly, I am not!

Only in America, and only on the left coast, could someone seriously believe he could sell hobbit holes for $900K a pop. Hobbits are simple people with fur between their toes--not Gucci-wearing millionaires. ;)

Bilbo had gold buttons on his waistcoat, though. And I understand the Tooks and the Brandybucks weren't doing too badly for themselves either. And going by the litigious mess with the Sackville-Bagginses over the Baggins estate, I'm not entirely certain you're right...

There was some generally excessively childish parody book of the lord of the rings a while back, it did have one lovely bit describing the economy of the hobbits that largely consisted of stealing each other's washing off their washing lines and selling it back to them.

Always amused me for some reason.

There was some generally excessively childish parody book of the lord of the rings a while back, it did have one lovely bit describing the economy of the hobbits that largely consisted of stealing each other's washing off their washing lines and selling it back to them.

Always amused me for some reason.

Bored of the Rings? Featuring Dildo and Frito Bugger, Moxie and Pepsi Dingleberry, Goodgulf Greyteeth, Gimlet son of Groin, and, of course, Eörache daughter of Eörlobe? Don't remember the bit about the washing, though...

Edit:
Bored of the Rings said:
"We boggies are a hairy folk
Who like to eat until we choke.
Loving all like friend and brother,
And hardly ever eat each other.

Ever hungry, ever thirsting.
Never stop till belly's bursting.
Chewing chop and pork and muttons,
A merry race of boring gluttons.

Sing: Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble,
Gobble,gobble,gobble,gobble.

Boggies gather round the table,
Eat as much as you are able.
Gorge yourselves from moon till noon
(Don't forget your plate and spoon).

Anything edible, we've got dibs on,
And hope we all die with our bibs on.
Ever gay, we'll never grow up,
Come! And sing and play and throw-up!

Sing: Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble,
Gobble,gobble,gobble,gobble...."

Last edited:
Bored of the Rings? Featuring Dildo and Frito Bugger, Moxie and Pepsi Dingleberry, Goodgulf Greyteeth, Gimlet son of Groin, and, of course, Eörache daughter of Eörlobe? Don't remember the bit about the washing, though...

Edit:

That's the one, couldn't help but remember that name when watching the films.

Back
Top Bottom