Game of Thrones - Previews @ X360Achievements,IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here are two of Game of Thrones previews from a couple of days back I'm only just getting to. First, from X360Achievements:
There's a reason that the novels take precedence over the hit TV series, as developer Cyanide started building Game of Thrones three years ago with the literature as the sole inspiration for the game, before the HBO show aired. As soon as the show hit though, the developer was quick to negotiate a deal with HBO, acquiring the music, look and feel in the process, as well as a few of the characters and some of the most iconic pieces of imagery associated with the show, like the house sigils, the Iron Throne and so on. With the success of the TV series comes additional pressure to do right by the legion of fans, so an authentic adaptation is the order of the day for Cyanide who not only reveal the lengths the team has gone to in creating an in-depth RPG with a sweeping narrative, but also the attention to detail that's being put into the game.
From IGN, and I'm glad Cyanide recognise the limitations in BioWare's dialogue wheel:
Choices made both in dialogue and action will be far-reaching - Sechi confirms that conversations will move to a natural close with appropriate consequences, rather than continuing until all of the dialogue options have been exhausted. Despite this, Cyanide has deliberately avoided providing clues to how your words or actions will be received, insisting that there should be no sliding scale of morality or visual representation of your alignment.
"Mass Effect is a good reference here, because I love that game but think that the red and blue dialogue options give too much away," says Sechi. "By highlighting the 'good' and 'bad' choices it's possible for players to adopt the stance of playing as a 'good Shepard' or 'badass Shepard' and that can mean that players aren't reading the dialogue options, they're just picking a response based on colour to fit the way they've decided to play Shepard."

Game of Thrones project manager, Thomas Veauclin, agrees. "As a designer, by allowing the player to see that there is a predetermined gameplay outcome tied directly to the choice that they make you are actually directing the answer that they choose and giving them less freedom, not more; we didn't want that."
More information.

This looks promising. Dialog and combat sound interesting and if they can deliver on the C&C, I may be playing this while everyone else is playing D3.

I agree, it looks to hit all the right notes, but that will be determined. I'm glad they're using the novels as the base inspiration and the show for visuals and music. I first became aware of this IP through the show but didn't watch it. I opted for the books and I'm rapidly inhaling the first right now. Maybe by the third book I'll allow myself to start the show and the game if it's good. Also there are mods for Civ 5 which look interesting.

This looks promising. Dialog and combat sound interesting and if they can deliver on the C&C, I may be playing this while everyone else is playing D3.

Said so a while ago - everybody else dismissed the game because of not trusting Cyanide. This is still most likely my personal RPG of the year.

Confrontation was a sack of shit.
Blood Bowl was a sack of shit.
AGOT: Genesis was a sack of shit.

Yeah, let's buy into the hype for this one. And Of Orcs and Men. Cuz y'know, just cuz they dumped three sacks of shit on everyone doesn't mean the fourth sack is also full of shit.

On top of that, these guys use ridiculously limited and intrusive DRM.

Bioware releases two MEDIOCRE (not even SHIT) games and you're ready to organize a mob to lynch the writers. These guys have a pass though forever, it seems. Why the fuck is that?

Confrontation was a sack of shit.
Blood Bowl was a sack of shit.
AGOT: Genesis was a sack of shit.

Yeah, let's buy into the hype for this one. And Of Orcs and Men. Cuz y'know, just cuz they dumped three sacks of shit on everyone doesn't mean the fourth sack is also full of shit.

On top of that, these guys use ridiculously limited and intrusive DRM.

Bioware releases two MEDIOCRE (not even SHIT) games and you're ready to organize a mob to lynch the writers. These guys have a pass though forever, it seems. Why the fuck is that?

Over react much?

I don't really have any familiarity with cyanide so I can't really give them a pass or judge them. I haven't played any of the games you listed and only heard recently of confrontation.

I don't judge companies on individual games. If they make 100 crappers in a row then make a great game I won't skip it because of their history. As far as bioware they have made several great games. DA2 however was a POS and could only dream of being mediocre. (imo) Doesn't mean if DA3 is great that I won't buy it though.

To me a company is only as good or bad as their latest release.

I guess a better question would be why so angry?

Over react much?

I don't really have any familiarity with cyanide so I can't really give them a pass or judge them. I haven't played any of the games you listed and only heard recently of confrontation.

I don't judge companies on individual games. If they make 100 crappers in a row then make a great game I won't skip it because of their history. As far as bioware they have made several great games. DA2 however was a POS and could only dream of being mediocre. (imo) Doesn't mean if DA3 is great that I won't buy it though.

To me a company is only as good or bad as their latest release.

I guess a better question would be why so angry?

Nah he is right there games were all crap and it's fair to say there next might. I don't even have faith in Bioware to much lately myself. To much disappointment will make you jaded with every developer.

let's bring up blizzard, seems like a perfect time

Never mind me! I'm just cranky at the stream of underwhelming RPGs popping out and am getting the impression Cyanide is about to add to that stream with an underwhelming RPG based on the currently over-saturated Song of Ice and Fire franchise.

At least we got Grimrock.

I am willing to wait and see. It definitely seems more promising than some of their previous issues. I understand the generations situation was a mess, but it seems the confrontations game wasn't that bad if it was priced more reasonably for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom