NWN2 SecuROM causing major trouble!

Neverwinter Nights 2
Well, for me I think the highlighting of the problem will do for me. I will not take times to error check my computer for a game. It is not worth it. As long as the game start once, i will live with that. But it is unexceptable behaviour.

I will not reinstall my computer for this game. It isn't worth the hassle. If NWN2 didn't have potential it would be brought back. But if it was WingCommander VI, than i would have given my right arm and bought me a new computer park! :)

But thanks for hints and tips!

Maybe they could do a check against an authentication server in a future patch if the machine is connected to the internet, and then, otherwise, ask for and check the cd/dvd if not online. This capability must be present as, presumably, they will be making/selling premium modules as BW did with NWN1.

Personally, I don't like having my CD/DVDs in the drive all of the time as replacements while available are usually fairly expensive and pokey to arrive. Securom is kind of slow to verify my DVD, although I usually have it in the DVD+/-RW drive, and never tried it in the plain DVD-ROM drive. Most copy protection schemes are pretty stupid and will ONLY check the drive installed from, which was my writer in this case as it's also my fastest optical drive once it figures out whats in it. I keep the DVD-ROM drive around as some copy protections also refuse to install from writers, and sometimes the installation programs are intelligent enough to realize that 2 optical drives are present and check for a 2nd CD in the other drive rather than popping up to insert the disk into the install drive, X3 was good that way... Unfortunately not many others are...

All that said, I've never really had a problem with copy protection schemes other than they are poorly written and tend to do really stupid things security wise. Also one particular scheme seems to have problems that the developer will not even look into, however they seem to have, fortunately, drastically dropped in popularity and, hopefully, will soon be out of business. Their protection scheme was the very worst security wise as it allowed user programs to run in ring 0.

The other problem with copy protection mechanisms is that they install with nary a word, and the more insidious schemes tend to require a reboot as they install system level drivers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom