General News - The Top Ten Dumbest RPG Plot Twists

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGFan has made a list with the 10 dumbest RPG plot twists. Here is the number one, Mass Effect 3:
I am Commander Shepard, and I will win this war without compromising the soul of our species. Until I commit mass genocide or become a godlike (and no longer human) being or forcibly enact the homogenization of every single living being in the entire universe, that is.

Leading to what has to have been the most publicized outcry due to a game's ending, well, ever, Mass Effect 3's final moments are both controversial and flat-out stupid. Prior to the Extended Cut, which was the narrative equivalent of putting plywood boards over a gaping chasm (oh, so the Normandy is going to park in front of Harbinger for a few minutes while I have a tender scene with my love interest? Thanks for "clarifying," Bioware), the ending was simply a series of sequences that were thematically inconsistent with the rest of the plot and completely contradictory to the ideals players had been told they were fighting for over the course of three games. Twist endings aren't unusual, but they're rarely pulled off with such utter ineptitude. Remember how tonally inconsistent the theatrical "happy ending" of Blade Runner was with the rest of the film? That's exactly the mistake Bioware made in ME3, only in reverse. Top that off with a number of plot threads that seemed to be leading somewhere else (which many players ran with, forming the indoctrination theory), and you've got a recipe for the dumbest plot twist of all time.
More information.

Well, I agree with them on Borderlands, though I would definitely put it higher. I kinda agree with Dragon Age 2 but I'm not so sure it's a plot twist - more of a plot fail-to-twist. The rest I either haven't played or don't agree with.

Just because you are fighting for some ideals doesn't mean you're going to achieve them. I think this article is actually asking for something a lot like the USA version of Brazil.

I have to agree with DA2 and ME3 - both games had really poor endings. It was the worst part of each game, especially ME3, where the last 5-10 min were so bad it actually managed to stain an otherwise great game.

Back
Top Bottom