Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix for PC, Mac and Linux.

Jaysen

Watchdog
skeleton_header_party_edition.jpg

UPDATE: Combat Demo Released!
It’s done. Finally! Get out your party hats as it’s time to celebrate the release of the Pre-Alpha Combat Demo of Battle Brothers. You can download it here!

Just keep a few points in mind when you give it a spin:

• It’s pre-alpha, meaning it is an early release of a product still in development. Everything in the game right now can be improved and most probably will for the final game.
  • It’s a combat demo. It only reflects part of what the final game will be about and doesn’t cover the strategy part at all. The final game will not consist of a few scenarios but have an open worldmap. Read more about it here in our dev blog article on the worldmap.
  • The demo can be hard. This is intentional. Every scenario can be consistently beat with the right strategy. That said, the game isn’t properly balanced and if you find something clearly out of balance or plain stupid, let us know.
The demo requires an OpenGL 3.0 compatible video card and Windows XP, 7 or 8. If the game refuses to run on your rig and gives you a shader error, update your video drivers!

We’ll take the easter weekend off to recover a bit and lose the crunchtime-related rings around our eyes. Come monday we’ll be back and look forward to your feedback and the inevitable myriad of technical problems. Let us know in our own forums or directly here in the RPGWatch how you feel about the game, about any ideas you have and about any bugs you encountered. Thank you guys for your support, and enjoy the game!

battle-brothers-header_900x150.jpg

Hi there!

Im Jaysen from Overhype Studios and want to show you guys the project I am working on to get some feedback, opinions and input!

The game we are working on is called "Battle Brothers". The gameplay is inspired by such classics as X-com: UFO Defense and Jagged Alliance but we took the setting to medieval( or fantasy) times.

Here is a short summary:
"You take on the role of a leader of a band of mercenaries and adventurers on the hunt for treasure, fame and legendary artifacts. As you journey onwards, an epic scale invasion unfolds that leaves nothing but burning rubble in its wake. You and your Battle Brothers emerge as the people’s last hope to unravel the source of the invasion and strike at its heart. Will you turn out to be an able commander using cunning tactical outfits to emerge victorious, or will you fail miserably sending your men into a futile bloodbath? It is up to you, but be careful – every decision matters."
Battle-brothers-combat-road.jpg

To give you a better idea what to expect, here is our planned feature list:
  • Procedurally generated. Worldmap, combat maps, characters and even the nature of the invasion itself are procedurally generated. No two games will ever be alike!
  • Open and dynamic world. No boring linear missions, you decide where to go and what to do! But with choice come consequences – the world will change permanently as the invasion sweeps the lands, and you may just find a town burned to the ground if you don’t come to its aid.
  • Permadeath – decisions really matter. If a Battle Brother is killed in combat he is dead forever, his experience and skills will be lost. So you better think twice about that suicide charge with your most experienced Brother.
  • Complex yet intuitive mechanics. Below the surface is a complex system working but we dont want players to study manuals and tutorials all day long. If it makes sense in real life it makes sense in Battle Brothers.
  • Huge tactical combat maps. This is not checkers, this is a grown-up combat simulation. Field up to 12 Battle Brothers at the same time on huge combat maps. Send your rangers through the woods into the back of the enemy while your armored shieldbearers stall the enemy attack.
  • Height levels in combat maps. Use the high grounds for your tactical advantage! Increase the range of your archers or repell overwhelming attacks against unsurmountable enemy numbers.
  • Diverse enemy roster. Enemies don’t just differ in name. All enemies have unique skills and unique AI behavior, and you have to adjust your tactics if you want to stand a chance.
  • Character development. Each Battle Brother gains experience through combat. Level them up and aquire new, powerful skills and abilities to fit your own strategy.
  • No restrictive class-system. Your Battle Brother’s skills and abilities are given by their equipment and level. You want to make an all ranged squad? The only limitations is whether it stands the test on the field of battle!
  • Detailed inventory system. Equip your Battle Brothers with weapons, arms, armor and powerful accessories.
  • What you see is what you get. Every piece of equipment your Battle Brothers are wearing is displayed on the tactical map. This allows for making your troops look like you really want them to!
  • Dynamic damage display. See your Battle Brothers smash shields, get their armor shredded to pieces or get beaten to a pulp! Of course the same goes for the enemies.
  • Full fledged crafting system. Find and research new crafting recipes, gather resources and craft deadly weapons and impenetrable armor.
Skeleton horde.jpg

The game is still in pre-alpha stage so nothing is final yet and there is a lot more to come! Still, we want to hear what you guys think about it and maybe you have some ideas on how to improve our game (questions are welcome too)! You can use this forum, our developers blog (www.battlebrothersgame.com) or connect with us on our social media channels (see signature for links).

Also, help us spread the word if you like the game!

Finally, here is a gameplay presentation video you should definitely watch!

Last edited:
Wow, this looks really interesting! I love the graphical style and appreciate the "historical look" in armor and weapons. So glad to see armor without silly spikes and unnatural angles to them. So, this is sort of fantasy X-Com (without base building and research), very cool! I'm hyped.

I'd like more info about the skill system, the combat system and the setting (e.g. how prevalent will magic be, will you be able to wield it, and so on), but I guess you'll inform us when you're ready. Keep the information coming!

Hi, actually we put a lot of effort into making historically accurate (or better "believable") equipment and armor for the game, we are really glad you like that decision!
As the game progresses and the player finds more powerful weapons and armor the style will get a little more "fantasy-esque" but all within reason!

The skill system works a little different than you might expect. As there are no classes in the game, the active skills are mainly given by equipment. Example: Wearing a sword and shield gives you a "slash" attack (from the sword) and the abilities "knockback" and "shieldwall" from the shield.
Additionally, there will be a traditional level-up system with skill trees but those skills will mainly be passive skills (still powerful).

The combat system is quite complex and cannot be explained in detail right now. We will be talking about it in a future dev blog entry (be sure to check our page www.battlebrothersgame.com, we just published an article on the character stats). Let me just tell you that it has a lot of tactically important features like sight range, fog of war, elevation levels, zone of control, moral system, different terrains and so on.

For the last point: Magic. There will be magical artifacts in the game that give "magical" or supernatural skills to its bearer, but this will be limited. Right now we are not planning on introducing any other magic for the player faction (the enemies however will have a wide array of skills and abilities, some of them magical).

Hope to have answered some of your questions and glad you like the concept! (also we will have research and a sort of base in the game, but more infos will follow;))

The skill system works a little different than you might expect. As there are no classes in the game, the active skills are mainly given by equipment. Example: Wearing a sword and shield gives you a "slash" attack (from the sword) and the abilities "knockback" and "shieldwall" from the shield. Additionally, there will be a traditional level-up system with skill trees but those skills will mainly be passive skills (still powerful).
Will those skills be static or variable between characters? I mean, will they differ between characters of similar equipment & level and can they be improved individually? Say, I have two battle brothers of equal level equipped with a similar sword and shield. Will they have identical "to hit" chances with the sword "slash" attack as well as identical success chances with their shield "knockback" or will there be variance in there? Like, character 1 has a bit higher skill with swords than character 2 (due to better attributes or more points in the skill or whatever) and thus his "slash" attack is better and hits more often. Or something to that effect. I hope you understand what I mean.

For the last point: Magic. There will be magical artifacts in the game that give "magical" or supernatural skills to its bearer, but this will be limited. Right now we are not planning on introducing any other magic for the player faction (the enemies however will have a wide array of skills and abilities, some of them magical).
This is all good and fine. I fully support limiting the prevalence of magic to a more "low fantasy" levels than e.g. in most common D&D games/worlds. I only asked, because the only enemies I could see on the screenshots were magical, i.e. supernatural (vampires, skeletons, etc.) so I was wondering how prevalent the magic would be. Hopefully there will be plenty of non-magical enemies to fight as well.

Eagerly waiting for new/more information regarding the game! :)

Ill gladly answer all the questions you got, nothing better than talking about ones own project ; )

Regarding the first question we have whole bunch of character stats in the game just like you know them from RPGs. Among others there is a "Melee Skill" stat that determines the base to-hit-chance for most skills (there will be some skills with special to-hit-rules). Unfortunately, you cant see them in the game yet. These Values are randomly generated (within limits) for each Battle Brother, so each brother will have different results using the same skill.
To sum up, the skills will be the same, but the character stats are different. Also, different weapons can have the same skills attached but vary in damage (like a shiny sword versus a rusty sword).

Regarding the second question: We will have a wide variety of enemies like orcs, goblins, humans, robbers, cultists and so on so there will be a huge variety! We just decided to work with the undead faction first. So there is still a lot to reveal!

Right now im working on a blog article on the combat system, ill drop a note here when its done. Then you can see it on our page at www.battlebrothersgame.com

Cheers!

@Jaysen
sounds like an interesting game with some new concepts - thank you for the info!
I'll keep an eye on that :)

Here is a little bestiary entry for our game. Its about the necromancer from the undead faction.
This guy is not very tough and doesn't deal a lot of damage, but he can be a real pest. He revives all kinds of slain undead (and slain battle brothers as well:)). So be sure to get rid of him quickly, or the enemies will stack up real quick. On top of that he´s always accompanied by a big and mean skeleton knight bodyguard.

necromancer.jpg

Love the unique graphical style. Looking forward to a demo.

yeah man, they look great. You could really take a 50k Kickstarter imo. And you'd probably reach 150k. But im a bit put off of having to fight .. "monsters" that seems like a boring plot

Hey and thanks for the kind words, always good to get some positive feedback!

We hope to be able to deliver a pre-alpha of the tactical combat within the next month or two so you can see for yourselves and test the game (at least the tactical combat part).

If your interested I made another commented gameplay where i show how a fight in the early stages of the game will look like. Head over to youtube and have a look: Our Youtube Channel

In the meantime here is a screen showing off a feature we just implemented. The Battle Brothers reanimated by the necromancer now keep all their looks and gear! But of course now they try to eat your brains instead of fighting on your side ; )
zombifornication.jpg

Hi Borcanu,
i can understand that just fighting monsters seems a bit bland at first. However, we have some features to make things a lot more interesting.
First of all, there will be human enemies as well and also a lot of different "monsters" to mix things up. Each enemy type will have special skills and even their own AI so you have to adapt your tactics accordingly. Also, we are going to keep things "low-power" so no flying dragons or fireballs or any of that fancy stuff.
Secondly, we have a whole overarching strategy layer in the works where the strategy comes in. In that part you have to manage your troops and fight a dynamic battle against an enemy that has its own goals, rewards, tactics and so on just like you have as the player. The plot will evolve around this enemy force and its source and agenda, so there will be a lot more to it than just the tactical battles. Hopefully we can show you some more of the worldmap soon!

Cheers

I see your current focus is nailing the combat. And I have faith in you on this. My mind was already considering this as a given.. (compliment)

and comparing the same project with a different plot .. Like trying to give every fight a different circumstance meaning and purpose.

With monsters... basically all fights have same purpose.. I mean not really .. hope you guys add a twist.. like Monsters put in human positions, families, occupations, and some that will ally themselves with you.

But the idea is to have a different purpose for most battles.. not going in like "i am fighting for the greater good, purge the scourge !" and before the final fight "I am fighting for the greater good, purge the scourge !"

I'll be looking for those plot twists that would make this replayable for me.

Giving you guys another update on our project, this time we present the stratrgic part of the game, the worldmap, to you.
In the dev blog we explain the gameplay elements and mechanics of the worldmap. This is all heavily WIP so if you have any ideas on it let us know!

Here is the article, enjoy the read:

Worldmap and strategic gameplay

So far we only talked about the tactical combat part of the game because we focused on developing it first, it is already fully playable and there was a lot to talk about. Now is the time to present the strategic part, also known as the worldmap, which we currently focus on. Everything that follows is heavily work in progress so don’t take it as set in stone. If there is anything you’d like to see in the strategic part of the game, let us know and well consider it!
worldmap_ingame_04.jpg

What is the purpose of the worldmap?

When coming up with the basic gamedesign we took a lot of inspiration from classics games like X-Com and Jagged Alliance. Both of these games rely on two interlocking systems: A tactical and a strategic part.

While the tactical part takes place on a really small area where you control individual Battle Brothers and make decisions within a fast paced close combat, the strategic part shows the bigger picture where you have to make long term decisions like where to go, what battles to pick and how to make use of limited resources.

The main purpose of the worldmap is to give context to the tactical battles. It determines your troops, the equipment and skills of your troops, the enemy you fight, the goal or mission of any battle, the terrain, the weather and light conditions and the rewards you get for victories. Also, it gives long term consequences to anything that happens in battle; Brothers gaining experience and skill only matters if they keep those between battles, and Brothers dying has an impact beyond the current battle, for your whole campaign. Whether you win or lose a battle can also impact the worldmap and what future battles will occur. For example, destroying an enemy encampment will have it seize sending raiding parties to nearby villages and estates, increasing local security and stopping the drain of wealth, which in turn increases the quality and amount of available equipment and supplies for local merchants, as well as the rewards that villages can offer you for future tasks. Failing to destroy the encampment could mean that the village will eventually be razed and become unavailable as a place of commerce, safety and recruits.

However, the strategic part isn’t just to supplement the tactical one, and certainly not just a filler between tactical encounters. We want it to offer enough depth in gameplay to be interesting in its own right, to offer choice and consequences, and to require formulating strategies in order to succeed at it. In contrast to the tactical part, it is more of a management and strategy game and as such has a different pace to it, offering variety and a different perspective on the game world. Lets go a bit deeper and take a look at the elements that make up the worldmap.

Layout of the world

The worldmap in Battle Brothers covers the scope of a single continent with a geography and climate similar to that of your average middle-european country. It is procedurally generated at the start of every new game so that you have a fresh map to play on every time.

We have different types of terrain with which the map is painted according to various rules; for example, mountaineous terrain will often appear in a connected line forming a mountain ridge, and a village will usually be surrounded by farmland. Of course, we also have dark forests, open plains, treacherous swamplands and rivers curling downhill. To learn what a forest actually means in gameplay terms, see the gameplay section below.

In this world we place villages near fertile land and rivers, as well as bigger towns, and guardposts and keeps at positions of strategic importance. Roads connect these beacons of civilization, often snaking around the dark forests but sometimes having no choice but to lead right through them - despite the dangers that might lurk within.

The premise

“You take on the role of a leader of a small mercenary warband that finds itself in a country that has been abandoned by most regular fighting forces due to an oversees war. This vacuum of power leaves the country ripe with opportunity for any man who can wield a sword to earn good coin. But you are not the only power that is taking advantage of this opportunity. There are way bigger forces at work beyond the horizon that threaten to engulf everything in darkness..”

While the worldmap is dotted with a number of minor enemy parties, from independent roaming monsters to bandit encampments, there is also what we refer to as The Greater Evil, which will become increasingly dominant as time goes on. The Greater Evil is one of several possible armies which starts an invasion of the worldmap in an attempt to completely control and/or destroy it. So far, you’ve only seen some of the Undead army - however we have several more armies planned which differ significantly in how they behave both on the worldmap and in tactical battles. No, this game is not just about fighting the Undead!

General gameplay
worldmap_ingame_06.jpg

Within the world your band of Battle Brothers is depicted as a figurine with a (customizable!) banner - and so is any other party you can encounter and interact with. All parties move around the map in pauseable real time. If you’ve played Mount & Blade before you should have a good idea how it’ll work.

While the general layout of the world is revealed from the start, most of the world is covered in fog of war except for a circle of vision around your party and also around the major settlements. When traveling across the country you will encounter other parties and locations, some friendly, some hostile. Usually they will be revealed when entering your field of vision, although certain terrain (like forest) can make it more difficult to detect them - and thus offer opportunities for ambushes. As you discover new locations, like long-forgotten ruins, they will remain visible on your map as a point of interest.

With the worldmap we are going in the direction of a “simulation” in a dynamic world instead of a pre-determined sequence of events or scripted quests that just pop up. We want to offer a world that feels open and alive, a world that you, the player, can actually influence. One where you don’t feel alone or feel like you’re doing all the work by yourself. Therefore, all parties, settlements and factions have their own agenda.

For example, merchants travel on the roads between settlements, but not just for show. As they reach their destination, they increase the local wealth with their trading, which in turn increases the selection of equipment and supplies available, and the rewards that the settlement is able to offer for any tasks. In the same vein, consider an encampment of robbers in the nearby forest. That encampment will send out parties to raid farms, fields, the settlement itself and the merchant caravans travelling the roads. As the village is raided and merchant caravans never reach it, its wealth plummets, its people become poor and can offer the player little. On the other hand, as the bandit raiding parties return home with their spoils, the encampment gains resources and can send out more and bigger raiding parties in the future.

The settlement will likely issue a call for help and offer a reward for helping against constant raids, which the player can follow up on. However, this is not a "quest" in the classical sense, and neither the village nor the robbers exist just for the purpose of this. The player could just as well have found and killed the robbers on his or her travels through the forest by chance, or perhaps the village militia could have fought them off. In this case, the settlement might never have experienced a big loss in lives and wealth, and wouldn't have needed help. Since a wealthy settlement has more to offer the player in terms of trading, equipment and recruiting options, the player has an interest in helping out the people not just because he or she was promised a reward for a specific task.

This is just one example for how we are planning to generate opportunities and gameplay by giving each party or faction their own agenda and their own resources to achieve their goals. Again, we want a dynamic, living world where you stumble across adventure opportunities all the time. On top of that, your actions form the world around you and the balance of power between all the interacting factions that are populating the country.

Worldmap features

Besides traveling the country and kicking monster ass there are a couple of gameplay features that the player has to employ to be successfull.

Troops

Worldmap_banner.jpg

You can hire troops in most friendly settlements for a certain amount of gold. When hiring you do not know the exact character stats of the Battle Brother-to-be, which are randomly determined, although we might give you a rough indication based on character biography. Some recruits even have negative character traits like being tiny or short sighted. Others may be better suited for mercenary work and have traits like being athletic or strong.

The worldmap also allows you to manage all your Battle Brothers. You can rename them, equip them with weapons, armor and accessories. On top of that you can select new skills once they reach a new level. We’ll have a whole blog article dedicated to our level and skill system eventually!

Crafting

The worldmap allows you to craft any number of equipment for which you have the recipe and crafting materials available. Recipes for crafting can be found throughout the world, bought in settlements and looted from fallen enemies. Some more exotic recipies are the product of research (see “scholarship” further down).

Crafting materials can be obtained through looting, salvaging old equipment or be bought in settlements. There are various crafting materials, some easy to get like wood or iron, and some rare and only to be acquired by slaying extremely dangerous and powerful enemies.

Followers

Your band of Battle Brothers can also be accompanied by a small number of followers. Each follower will give a strategic advantage for worldmap gameplay and won’t be part of the tactical battles. There are various types of followers, each with different advantages. For example, a Scout may increase your party’s field of vision and increase your movement speed on difficult terrain (like forests). A healer, on the other hand, will increase the recovery speed of your wounded Battle Brothers and will lessen the danger of lasting injuries.

You will meet followers throughout your journeys. Maybe you run into them in a settlement or you free them from an enemy encampment.

Scholarship

Scholarship is the study of dusty tomes and ancient artifacts, best described as the equivalent to “research”. If you choose to do so, you’ll find a wide array of projects to be studied; there are clues scattered all throughout the land as to the location of legendary and ancient artifacts that could turn the tide in your campaign. Experimenting with exotic ingredients, like leftovers of magical enemies, might yield possible crafting recipies and ultimately equipment which bolster your Battle Brothers.

Further development

This is rough overview on the strategic part of Battle Brothers, and most of the above elements probably deserve a blog article on their own to be explained in detail. Let us know what you think about our plans so far, about your suggestions and what topic you’d like our next article to be about!

Thank you for the big, meaty update! Looking Good!

It's great to see that the strategic layer (worldmap, etc.) has a lot of depth to it and is not treated as a lesser sideshow. To be honest, I expected a much shallower strategic layer gameplay. I'm very pleasantly surprised by all the various activities possible on the strategic side of the game, they sound really good. Once you combine the strategic and the tactical layer together into a single game, it will surely be a compelling mix of gameplay (in homage to the original X-Com, sort of). Can hardly wait!

Oh, and I absolutely love the world simulation aspects you described, kudos!

To keep you guys updated here is the next installment of our developers blog.
This time around we talk about the open pre-alpha combat demo that we have in the works right now and are planning to release within the next couple of weeks. Enjoy the read and, as always, share some thoughts!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you might be aware from reading our previous blog posts and watching our gameplay videos, we already have the combat part of Battle Brothers in a playable state. Now we want to put our game to the test and get you to play it and give us feedback. For this reason, we’ll release a public Pre-Alpha Combat Demo for you to try out (i.e. get horribly slaughtered by the AI) within the next few weeks. Today, we’ll talk a bit about what will be awaiting you exactly.

How far is the development of the tactical combat?

The tactical combat part is already pretty far in development. On the technical side of things, we’ve had our core game engine running for several months. The game has relatively modest demands on computers running it and should generally also do well on Notebooks and older PCs. Any video card supporting OpenGL 3.0 should be able to run the game - and if it isn’t, it’s precisely the job of the upcoming demo to bring this to light so that we can fix it.

As one of our advertised features is the procedural generation of maps, it was one of the first things we implemented when we had the groundwork done, and something that will also be present in the upcoming demo. We have all the basic combat mechanics in the game, including character stats of Battle Brothers and enemies, equipment, combat calculations, different height levels, fog of war and a good selection of different skills with which battles are fought. What is missing now most of all is content, balance and fine-tuning. There are also a few more advanced mechanics still missing (e.g. throwing weapons and limited ammo), but none that should get in the way of enjoying the game.

Shield-Wall.jpg

We have a competent AI ready to control enemy characters on the field of battle. Our AI does not cheat - the same restrictions apply to it that apply to you; it has limited sight range and can not see into the fog of war, and you being able to see them does not necessarily mean that they also see you. We decided early on that we wanted to tailor the AI of individual types of enemies to really reflect their capabilities and mind set, which is why you’ll find that your enemies will behave differently and not always predictable. The simple-minded Zombies possess a simple-minded AI and will just stumble towards the nearest target with no regard to terrain. Skeletons possess more of a cold intelligence and will attempt to gain a positional advantage, raise their shields in defense as you rain arrows on them and attempt to smash your shields as you raise yours. Necromancers will try to avoid getting to close to your Battle Brothers and try to raise the dead from the backline. Vampires will use their unique skill to try to pick off your men one by one, always trying to stay out of the reach of the bulk of your fighting force. Ultimately, we want the AI to be able to do everything that the player can in an intelligent manner (although, of course, not every type of enemy), but we’re not there yet.

The UI of the game is functional and offers helpful tooltips explaining skills, equipment and UI elements. Still, it is work-in-progress. You’ll notice that it currently has a very simple look - that is, because it hasn’t been skinned yet. Our priority here is to optimize usability first, and we’re still shuffling things around and adding new features based on player experience. That includes your experience also - if you have a suggestion on what we should change regarding the UI based on your experience playing the demo, let us know! Only once we’re satisfied with how the UI works will we skin it to give it a real non-placeholder look that actively contributes to the atmosphere of the game.

What will be included in the Pre-Alpha Combat Demo?

The combat demo consists of several scenarios that differ in tactical situation, terrain and quality and numbers of enemy opposition. Those scenarios are designed to showcase various stages of the game and combat situations you may encounter in the finished game. In each scenario you’ll have a set number of Battle Brothers which you can equip with a range of early medieval weaponry and armor to suit your tactical approach. The way you equip your Battle Brothers will to a large part determine the tactical options at your disposal. Not every weapon is suited against every type of enemy or situation, and neither is heavy armor always the best choice. You should experiment with different combinations to find strategies that work well.

The layout of the individual scenarios will be randomly generated to different degrees, as will the equipment of some of your enemies. You shall find that some of them can play out very differently from one playthrough to another. The demo will include the following scenarios:

Combat Basics - A simple scenario to try out the basics of melee combat. Easy.

Swipe - A scenario containing few and easy opponents on a map with lots of terrain features blocking sight. Well suited to get used to lines of sight, fog of war and ranged combat. Easy.

Early Game Combat - A scenario simulating a possible early game encounter in enemy composition and equipment available. Moderate difficulty.

Defend the Hill - A scenario in which you have to survive against overwhelming odds while positioned on top of a hill. Well suited to learn about height advantage and to test sight and usability issues with height levels. Difficult.

Advanced Combat - A mixed scenario combining all the above elements and simulating more closely what an encounter might feel like at mid-game and later. Terrain can vary greatly between playthroughs, as can the enemies you encounter to some extent. Difficult.

The goal in every demo scenario is to kill all opposition without them killing your Battle Brothers first.

Defend-the-hill-rain1.jpg

What will not be included?

The demo will be Windows PC only. While the final game will also be available for Mac OSX and Linux, the demo will not for the time being.

The demo will not include any strategic and management aspects of the game, accessible from the worldmap, but will be focused solely on the combat part of the game. As such, it only represents part of what the final game will be about.

Finally, the demo does not represent the amount of content that the final game will have. Only some of the weapons, armor and skills that will be available in the final game are included. Likewise, the demo will only include a limited variety of terrain types and enemy diversity. The final game will feature sound effects for every action and a variety of atmospheric music, but the demo will be quite limited in this regard.

Why release a Combat Demo?

We are now at a point in development where we want to put our game to the test and get people from the outside to play it and give us feedback. Feedback on technical issues, aesthetics, usability, mechanics, gameplay, AI and anything else. Perhaps we can even get some new ideas for the game that we haven’t thought about yet.

In addition, we want to get more people to know about our project, and we think an open demo is a good way to reach a bigger audience so that everyone can check out the game for themselves and discuss how they want it to shape up. We want to engage with you in the development of this game!

How do I get it and when will it be released?

The demo will be released within the next couple of weeks, the exact time depending on our progress. It will be downloadable from our website at www.battlebrothersgame.com/downloads and also on our indieDB page at http://www.indiedb.com/games/battle-brothers.

If you don’t want to miss it, follow us on our social media channels to get all the latest news. We want as many people out there to give us some feedback so be a Bro and spread the word about our project and the upcoming Pre-Alpha Combat Demo!

I posted your update on the front-page earlier today. I can't wait to try the Pre-Alpha combat demo. Keep up the good work Jaysen.:highfive:

Hey! Thanks for the support and the kind words!

I hope it doesnt take too long to get the demo out but you never know, inventory systems (especially with drag&drop) can be really tricky!

Back
Top Bottom